Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a VERY new rider and still figuring things out. Long story short, I put a battery tender on my 2018 Springfield Dark Horse and now it won’t start. It will power on, but won’t start when I hit the ignition. What did I miss?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Need more information. Is the kick stand down? Does it go click click click like that battery is low? Did you try neutral and clutch in?

·
Registered
10 Posts
What prompted you to put a charger on it? Was it a tender or charger?

If tender, Is the tender dual battery type? And on the correct type?

How new is the bike to you? Leading to the history of the battery

What climate are you in?

How often do you ride it?

Is it lead acid or lithium battery?

Do you have a battery load tester? Not a volt meter, a load tester? Testing in the bike, while often crampt and difficult, will also test your charging system amp input to the battery.

You can also test it out of the bike for battery results only. Local dealership can test it, so can autozone.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Need more information. Is the kick stand down? Does it go click click click like that battery is low? Did you try neutral and clutch in?
Bike is in neutral, tried with stand up and down and clutch pulled. No clicking at all

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What prompted you to put a charger on it? Was it a tender or charger?

If tender, Is the tender dual battery type? And on the correct type?

How new is the bike to you? Leading to the history of the battery

What climate are you in?

How often do you ride it?

Is it lead acid or lithium battery?

Do you have a battery load tester? Not a volt meter, a load tester? Testing in the bike, while often crampt and difficult, will also test your charging system amp input to the battery.

You can also test it out of the bike for battery results only. Local dealership can test it, so can autozone.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
It’s a tender, not a charger, and I got one recommended by friend that also rides. I’m in the southeast, hot and humid climate. I installed it because I went a month without riding and the battery lost its charge. I’ve only had the bike a couple of months and it has less than 10k miles so I bet it’s the original battery.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you let the battery go all the way dead it may not come back and you may have to buy a new one. Last year I let my 18rm sit for about 3 months with no tender and the security system will drain the battery quick.once its been dead for so long they just won't come back to life. I tried charging for a few days with a good charger but had to get a new battery.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Test the battery with a meter and see if it's got good voltage,like over 12v. A good charged battery should be at least 12.v my new one is 12.7. If the battery is good you may have blown a fuse somehow when you plugged in the tender.

·
Rider
1,464 Posts
Does the fuel pump turn on when you hit the switch on the handlebar? Don’t try to start the bike while the tender is hooked up. And it’s either the key fob isn’t close by or the battery is dead in the fob. If the bike is in gear without the clutch pulled in it won’t start either. Look at the digital part of the gauge if it has a shield with the outline of a key in its center it’s fob related. If the fuel pump won’t prime but everything else does it’s not the motorcycle battery. You can use the left toggle switch on the clutch side and toggle through to see what the battery is reading

·
Bronze member
2,924 Posts
Under the seat,the lead that goes to your battery has an inline fuse.
It's a 3 volt fuse.
It doesn't take much to blow that.
I changed mine to a 10 amp fuse ,so that I can hook a 6 amp charger to my bike in the spring to charge it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same bike with the original battery. Had a similar issue and ended up taking it to Batteries Plus. Ended up with a new Duracell and they included a 2 year free replacement warranty. Took care of the problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts