Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was an adventure. Starts out good. Got to the destination. Time to leave and found my rear tire was going flat. Called Indian roadside assistance. On Saturday. We know we got to get it fixed ASAP. The DISPATCHER was curteous enough but they were lacking on information. Had to tell them the nearest dealer to me. First they gave me the wrong dealership. I corrected them. They asked if I had a spare tire. REALLY? I called the Indian dealership to come pick it up for rider group roadside assistance. The dealership had no idea about the service was in existence. Ugh. Ok got that done so towing was paid but the fixing a flat was unsure of do to the dispatcher didn't know the answer. Ok ok I covered repair until I we can get answer on repair. Ok now the second part. I have 2014 Vintage. Got tube tires. For the dealership. They wanted to replace the basically new tire I had because a very small puncture in the tread. Which meant leaving it there for a week waiting on new tire to arrive. I want ya'lls opinion here. I told them to patch the tire on the inside and install new tube. Is there a big danger. They told me that the tube might come through the small hole. Is this BS and trying to sell me a new tire? I'm open for suggestions. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Today was an adventure. Starts out good. Got to the destination. Time to leave and found my rear tire was going flat. Called Indian roadside assistance. On Saturday. We know we got to get it fixed ASAP. The DISPATCHER was curteous enough but they were lacking on information. Had to tell them the nearest dealer to me. First they gave me the wrong dealership. I corrected them. They asked if I had a spare tire. REALLY? I called the Indian dealership to come pick it up for rider group roadside assistance. The dealership had no idea about the service was in existence. Ugh. Ok got that done so towing was paid but the fixing a flat was unsure of do to the dispatcher didn't know the answer. Ok ok I covered repair until I we can get answer on repair. Ok now the second part. I have 2014 Vintage. Got tube tires. For the dealership. They wanted to replace the basically new tire I had because a very small puncture in the tread. Which meant leaving it there for a week waiting on new tire to arrive. I want ya'lls opinion here. I told them to patch the tire on the inside and install new tube. Is there a big danger. They told me that the tube might come through the small hole. Is this BS and trying to sell me a new tire? I'm open for suggestions. What do you think?
Yea it's bs. New tube is fine. I am assuming the hole is very small in tire

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
Bs, bs, bs, if just a simple puncture, then an inside patch is very adequate. A mushroom plug is even better as if there is any heat buildup they will not shift. A new tube is a must. The Indian tube is $90 bucks and a rip off. A same size aftermarket tube is about a third of the cost.

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
IDK you only have two tires. Is your life worth a couple hundred to be certain that hole wont open up while riding? If I get a nail I use the patch kit in my saddlebag to get me off the side of the road then the tire is getting replaced ASAP.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
I've patched and plugged a fair share of tires and have over 250 thousand accumulated street miles over my riding "career". I've never had 2 flats on the same tire. And thusly never a patch or plug failure. If your concerned with safety, the last thing you should be doing is riding a motorcycle. My tubeless repair kit of choice is the pocket tire plugger. Purple Material property Jacket Everyday carry

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
I've patched and plugged a fair share of tires and have over 250 thousand accumulated street miles over my riding "career". I've never had 2 flats on the same tire. And thusly never a patch or plug failure. If your concerned with safety, the last thing you should be doing is riding a motorcycle. My tubeless repair kit of choice is the pocket tire plugger. View attachment 62514 View attachment 62522
Well dude, I have. I bought a new rear tire and it got a nail the following week. I was young and could not afford another new tire so I had it plugged by the shop. the tire was removed and repaired professionally. A few months later the patch failed while I was riding on the interstate. Luckily it was stop and go traffic and I was not traveling fast. I had the bike towed and spent all my cash on another new tire.

SO not all experiences are the same and as far as your snark about being concerned about safety? Not all of us have a death wish. Some of us want to ride again in the future. I found myself in the ICU a long time ago lying next to what was left of a fellow rider that had the same mentality as you. I'm here to type and he is not. None of us are going to get out of life alive but I will sure take steps to make it as long as I can.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
After over 30 years in EMS and Firefighting I know first hand how fragile human beings really are. Add to that my own stint in an ICU after triple bypass surgery, and I belive I can appreciate life as much as the next person. As far as tire repairs the only ones I trust are the ones I do myself, and I take no short cuts and have researched the best kit out there. I'm sorry for your misfortune with your repair and can appreciate your distrust of riding a repaired tire, and if you feel my decision to ride on repaired tires is a death wish. Ok.

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
After over 30 years in EMS and Firefighting I know first hand how fragile human beings really are. Add to that my own stint in an ICU after triple bypass surgery, and I belive I can appreciate life as much as the next person. As far as tire repairs the only ones I trust are the ones I do myself, and I take no short cuts and have researched the best kit out there. I'm sorry for your misfortune with your repair and can appreciate your distrust of riding a repaired tire, and if you feel my decision to ride on repaired tires is a death wish. Ok.
That's not what I said. If you want to ride on repaired tires, then go ahead and do so. I will refrain and not recommend that as a safe course of action. I said your snark implies a death wish. Just because you engage in something dangerous doesn't mean you should have a laze-fair attitude about it. In my profession people die each year. In fact a fella just died last week doing his job. I am not the safety police by any stretch, In fact if there is some knee jerk reaction rule that is imposed in the name of safety that makes absolutely zero sense and may actually cause other problems I'm not one to embrace it. But I'm also not going to hang my bare butt out there to get burned either.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
A properly repaired tire is not dangerous, an improperly one is, just my own personal experience and opinion...others may disagree based on their experiences or beliefs. I've had many of motorcycle crashes and fatalities that I've responded to in my previous profession. And I can tell you the human body is not designed to withstand forces exceeding the speed at which we can run, and even then a fall from a standstill can have catastrophic consequences. Only in a perfect world would motorcycling be safe, unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world.

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts
WOW. You guys. Tubeless tires are an easy repair road side and a distance from help. Easily plugged and move on. Provided the puncture is small and close to center. I would ride it with no concern. If the puncture is off center toward the sidewall, plug it and buy a new tire ASAP. As for tubed tires, we are SOL on the side of the road. I have had no flats on my Vintage YET. Again, a small puncture toward the center, and patched properly inside the tire, should prove no problem. Again, as we move toward the side wall, it is just too unsafe to consider. Either type tire is not a vehicle tire, and I think more susceptible to bruising and catastrophic failure. The environment I ride in is a 6 mile gravel road, before I hit the hard ball. Plenty of opportunity for tire cutters and punctures to occur. The biggest problem with tubed tires is the rapid deflation of the tire. At high speed, this can be a real bummer.

BTW - There is a kit on the market that can be applied to laced or spoked wheels that enables you to use a tubeless tire. I've been considering it for awhile now. Love the spokes, love the look.
Pat

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
Had I kept my Chief at its first tire change I was goin to have the OUTX rim sealing kit installed. But the bike was traded on a Chieftain that has mags and tubeless. I do miss the look of the wire poked wheels.

·
Registered
196 Posts
A blowout patch on the inside of a tire should not be a big deal when coupled with a new tube as long as the puncture is in the tread and not the sidewall. Any sidewall damage ruins the tire. Case by case basis.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts