Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a HD Eglide Classic. Never do it again! I have been looking at the Vic XC and the Roadmaster. Quite a difference in price.
Do any of you have experience with both and care to share your thoughts?

·
Registered
796 Posts
My son in-law owns a 2014 xct he is 6'3" and daughter is 6', they find the 2014 Indian Chieftain that I ride a little cramped 2 up compared to the xct . For me the fit and finish of the Indian is much better it could be a bit longer but I will live with it as most riding is solo. I did put 1300 kms on his xct when he first brought it home, nice ride with lots of power to spare.The Indian pulls a better in the bottom end for torque, which is what I like. With two up on the xct it will just about keep up to the Indian for acceleration.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My cousin has a XC and has rode my Roadmaster. he said they both handle basically identical. He Loved the Power and Torque of the Indian. He is 6'2" and did mention that he felt more boxed in but not cramped. Hope that Helps....

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
I have owned a Cross Country, not the Tour but I did have the tour pak on it. I found the bike to be rock solid, dependable, quick, and a very competent handling and riding bike. I put 24,655 miles on it including a cross country USA ride twice. Only put one set of tires, a set of plugs and oil changes. I now own a Roadmaster. The XC is an excellent bike and is a little bigger giving you more room to stretch out on than the Roadmaster. The Vic 106 motor revs higher so the power band is different as the Indian 111 has more lower end torque. I think from 3500 rpm and up the 106 is stronger. That said the Indian does offer a little bit less space but I find it just as comfortable. I think the fit and finish is a bit better on the Indian and both bikes ride great. The bottom line is with the Indian you get a bit more technology, real leather and a ton of chrome. With either bike you can't go wrong as they are both great machines. Just pick the one that scratches your itch the best! Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I had a HD Eglide Classic. Never do it again! I have been looking at the Vic XC and the Roadmaster. Quite a difference in price.
Yeah I traded in my XCT for a Roadmaster. Had the XCT for almost 3 years, around 28K miles.

Let me say it was a very, very hard choice to change. The XCT is fabulous bike. The longest trip I took on it was 4500 miles and it didn't miss a beat. The only issue I had was paint pitting on the fairing, which Polaris replaced under warranty, and I had to swap out the seat and windshield for comfort issues. Compared to the Indian, the XCT has more storage space, more legroom, and more fuel capacity. The Victory feels more modern but less crafted, the Indian feels less modern but more crafted. Those are just impressions. I love the XCT and if the Roadmaster didn't come around I'd still be on it, no question about that.

You won't be disappointed with the XCT, and if cost is an issue, buy it. In fact buy a used one, they're solid bikes.

I bought the Roadmaster because of the ride, the poise, and balance. It rides like a dream, a dream with massive torque. The XCT rides nice too, just not the same. The Roadmaster has a few more bells and whistles which I like, and in my opinion the thunder stroke 111 is a better engine than the freedom 106, but that's totally subjective. I absolutely love the adjustable windshield on the Roadmaster. My wife likes her accommodations on the Roadmaster better than the XCT, though she never complained on the XCT. She felt bad when we let the XCT go too.

Then there's the history of Indian, an icon that the Victory brand doesn't have and never will. While nostalgia would never make me choose one bike over another, nevertheless it is a factor with the history of Indian, and I've always loved the old Indians long before Polaris started production. On the downside, the Indians and especially the Roadmaster are fairly new. Buy a new model, and a new brand as far as new production, and expect production problems. Polaris has been good about addressing them though, and that's the real measure. In fact, if I hadn't owned a Polaris bike before I would have been more hesitant about buying a new Indian, so in a way my XCT lead me to the Roadmaster.

I think choosing a specific bike is a very deep personal decision. We trust our lives to these machines, and for me they become an integral part of my family. Riding brings my wife and I closer together. Be sure to ride both, and form your own impressions. You really can't go wrong with either one. As much as I love my Roadmaster, I still miss my XCT.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I recently found out that a new Indian/Victory dealer opened in Daytona Beach in the original Rossmeyer Harley Davidson shop of all places. I think I will just have to head over. I have An Eagle Rider here that is the Indian dealer and a Victory dealer close by but Daytona is only 20 to 30 minutes away and I can see both at the same place.

I put 114824 on that HD before a bear took it out. He and I walked away but the bike was toast. It was the worst new vehicle I have ever owned. I almost had it paid off too!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,811 Posts
I was pretty settled on getting a Cross Country Tour for my next bike. Not a big fan of the newer look but I was very comfortable on the bike. They when I was down in Arkansas for the BBB festival I took a test ride on both the Victory and the Indians. Honestly for me I could not be more disappointed in the Victory. Now granted I was coming off of a Vulcan 2000 that is far from stock but power wise I was very disappointed with the Victory power. No low end torque. You had to rev it up to get the bike to do anything. This is not how a touring bike should be. I should not have to downshift to get a touring bike to get past traffic. Also, I hate the J C Whitney looking switches they added for cruise and radio controls.

A very different experience with the Indians. I immediately fell in love with the classic look and very respectable power. One look at the RM and you can see this bike was designed for touring with 2 people on board. Yes the bike costs more but you are getting a lot of standard features that would not be offered on the Victory. In my opinion you get what you pay for. Dean E

1 - 9 of 9 Posts