Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rider
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is my understanding that a 2017 or newer Roadmaster seat will fit on a Springfield, AND allow the use of the quick detach sissy bar / backrest. Is this true? ALSO, does this date code apply to the extended reach Roadmaster seat, or will all years, or no years work with the quick detach backrest?

In addition, besides shimming up the front, or modifying the set back and height of the mount, are there any other solutions to allow the use of the rider backrest with the extended reach Roadmaster seat?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,081 Posts
According to Indian's website it does

BackRest.jpg

·
Rider
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But what years? I ask because occasionally used ones show up. And I am pretty sure that I have read that only 17 and newer standard Roadmaster seats work with the Sissy bar. Not sure if that also applies to the extended seat as well.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a 2018 Springfield. I have the detachable back rest sissy bar. I bought an extended reach seat that was previously on a 2017 Roadmaster. The seat works with the back rest sissy bar just fine. Not even a struggle to get it on and off.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,081 Posts
But what years? I ask because occasionally used ones show up. And I am pretty sure that I have read that only 17 and newer standard Roadmaster seats work with the Sissy bar. Not sure if that also applies to the extended seat as well.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
That's why I showed the 2017 model. Puting in the 2016 model year on the same site shows it doesn't fit. Go to the site and put in whatever model year you want to see if it fits.

Reactions: Caprock

·
Rider
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2018 Springfield. I have the detachable back rest sissy bar. I bought an extended reach seat that was previously on a 2017 Roadmaster. The seat works with the back rest sissy bar just fine. Not even a struggle to get it on and off.
That is good to know. I guess it would make sense that they switched the base on both seats during that model year to work with the sissy bar. Do you ever ride 2 up? Does the passenger seat provide adequate length with the primary seat being extended?

·
Rider
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's why I showed the 2017 model. Puting in the 2016 model year on the same site shows it doesn't fit. Go to the site and put in whatever model year you want to see if it fits.
I totally missed that on your first post that you were fitting the sissy bar on a RM. That's a good way to confirm fitment. Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That is good to know. I guess it would make sense that they switched the base on both seats during that model year to work with the sissy bar. Do you ever ride 2 up? Does the passenger seat provide adequate length with the primary seat being extended?
Yes I do ride two up and there are no negatives so far.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
I have also seen posts on this forum regarding RM seat mods that will accommodate the narrower mounting brackets. That post basically involved a bit of work with taking off a portion of the upholstery and re-forming the plastic seat pan in the rear where it was too wide for fitting the narrower brackets. Results looked perfect and a very smart fix IMO.

·
Rider
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have also seen posts on this forum regarding RM seat mods that will accommodate the narrower mounting brackets. That post basically involved a bit of work with taking off a portion of the upholstery and re-forming the plastic seat pan in the rear where it was too wide for fitting the narrower brackets. Results looked perfect and a very smart fix IMO.
Now that you mention it, I recall reading something like that last year as well. If I remember right, he used a heat gun on the sides at the rear of the base until it was pliable and bent it in to provide clearance. However, if I decide to evaluate a RM seat, I would prefer just to find one that is a 2017 or newer.

Hopefully, if I decide to try an extended seat, I can modify the drivers backrest bracket to accommodate the backrest. I read a thread where someone cut his bracket and welded in some extension pieces and it worked fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts