Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies up front as I am typing from a phone.

I put my 2012 Harley CVO up for sale with the intention of buying a Roadmaster. I love the look and feel of the Roadmaster, but I noticed a few things at a recent demo ride that I wanted to run by you.

1) Heat Shield - The 5 Roadmaster demo bikes had yellowing on the heat shield near the header. I realize the 111 engine is large and produces a lot of heat, but I wouldn't expect discoloration on the heat shield. Has anyone experienced this?

2) Leather Seat - The seats on the Roadmaster are beautiful, however the seats on all 5 demo bikes were fading significantly. The demo bikes likely spend time in the elements, but I would hope the seats would retain color for more than 3 months. Also the seats are supposed to be better than Indian seats of last year. I'm assuming those of you who have Roadmasters haven't had your bikes long enough to experience any seat discoloration issues, but it will be interesting to follow over time.

3) Paint - I've noticed Indian paint has improved this past year, maybe due to an extra layer of clear coat. I noticed on some of the bikes a rough edge around the saddle bag lids and other areas. Has anyone experienced paint issues?

Again I really like what the bike offers, but I noticed a few things that I hope you folks could comment on.

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Yea, a little nit picking will find stuff like this on the paint closeups for forum 002.jpg but just a itty bitty spot or two, no sharp edges on bag openings
But zero fading in 1300 mi closeups for forum 003.jpg They supply Roadmasters, or all 2015s, not sure , but in the manual it says to apply saddle conditioner once a month,
I have done it once ( 5 min job )
discolored heat shields not that I can see, but only 1300 mi closeups for forum 001.jpg
Overall, my satisfaction compared to my expectations are 100% but true satisfaction overall about 95%. To get that out of a bike, that you truly cannot test long enough b-4 buying to fully appreciate until you own it and still be that happy, is pretty tough these days. Would I buy it again yes, would I recommend one to my best friend or Mom, yes all day and twice on Sunday.

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. The demo team admitted that they have done nothing to condition the seats, so I suspect with proper care they would hold up much better than the demo seats. Regarding the heat shield, time will tell. I'm glad to hear you are happy with your bike. I admit being nit picky, but it is early in the production life of this product line, so I'm extra sensitive to the details. Thanks again!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I now have 3000 miles on mine and the only issues are trying to decide if I want to ship off the saddle to Russell Day-Long for a rebuild. Other than a very sore butt, I had a great trip.

Attachments

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,602 Posts
Yea, a little nit picking will find stuff like this on the paint View attachment 2994 but just a itty bitty spot or two, no sharp edges on bag openings
But zero fading in 1300 mi View attachment 2995 They supply Roadmasters, or all 2015s, not sure , but in the manual it says to apply saddle conditioner once a month,
I have done it once ( 5 min job )
discolored heat shields not that I can see, but only 1300 mi View attachment 2998
Overall, my satisfaction compared to my expectations are 100% but true satisfaction overall about 95%. To get that out of a bike, that you truly cannot test long enough b-4 buying to fully appreciate until you own it and still be that happy, is pretty tough these days. Would I buy it again yes, would I recommend one to my best friend or Mom, yes all day and twice on Sunday.
I wonder on the leather if it would be better to work in some mink oil once a month. Conditions the leather and will help it stand up to rain if you get caught on the road. Dean E

·
Registered
765 Posts
I don't have a 15 or a Roadmaster but my 14 Chieftain never got paint on the bottom of the saddlebags!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I have a14 red chieftain and assume you mean on the outside bottom when you take them off. I took a look at mine after I got it and it didn't appear to have as much paint or clear coat. I thought maybe they had something a little different for paint because they sit on the mufflers. I could be guessing since they do look different then the tops...

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I don't have a 15 or a Roadmaster but my 14 Chieftain never got paint on the bottom of the saddlebags!
Your dealer should work on a replacement for your saddle bags. The factory was pretty adamant early on about getting those bags with no paint on the bottoms replaced. My dealer replaced a few of them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Roadmaster Gang. Just to say hi and hope to find some answers from you already owning one.
My name is Dan and I live and work in Chicago's beautiful North / West side. Currently riding '06 113cu in Yamaha Stratoliner. Pretty happy with set up and power having since 2006 , but Cowboy get tired of horse and looking for replacement. Roadmaster looks like good horse, just couple questions.
What is range between fill up's. 5.5 gallon gas tank as stated, doesn't look that much. Most of motorcycles I owe in past are good 3/4 gallon short of whatever they stated. So how much really you get gas at fill up and range. Don't care about gas / milage. Just Range. And how long reserve will last.
Second question is about maximum charging output of 48 Amp's, which is jest shy of 580 Wat's total before you are going to drain battery. So my second question is how much electrical power bike use for normal operation? Doesn't look that much. is it any room for heated west or two. Beside clutch / rear brake / throttle issue , I couldn't see any other reason why not to go with Roadmaster.

Best,

Dan.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Your dealer should work on a replacement for your saddle bags. The factory was pretty adamant early on about getting those bags with no paint on the bottoms replaced. My dealer replaced a few of them.
Good to know. I'm not bothered by the lack of paint, maybe it will make it more desirable 100yrs from now, lol.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hey Roadmaster Gang. Just to say hi and hope to find some answers from you already owning one.
My name is Dan and I live and work in Chicago's beautiful North / West side. Currently riding '06 113cu in Yamaha Stratoliner. Pretty happy with set up and power having since 2006 , but Cowboy get tired of horse and looking for replacement. Roadmaster looks like good horse, just couple questions.
What is range between fill up's. 5.5 gallon gas tank as stated, doesn't look that much. Most of motorcycles I owe in past are good 3/4 gallon short of whatever they stated. So how much really you get gas at fill up and range. Don't care about gas / milage. Just Range. And how long reserve will last.
Second question is about maximum charging output of 48 Amp's, which is jest shy of 580 Wat's total before you are going to drain battery. So my second question is how much electrical power bike use for normal operation? Doesn't look that much. is it any room for heated west or two. Beside clutch / rear brake / throttle issue , I couldn't see any other reason why not to go with Roadmaster.

Best,

Dan.

Been averaging 43 mi per gallon, so the math ain't bad, as far as amps, no idea, it's way higher than my last bike that never had an issue though. Might wanna use a calculator on the wattage and try higher voltage, as when the bike is running the battery is being refilled a lot faster at 14 volts than 12 vdc. At 14 volts the wattage is Amps to watts (W) conversion calculator

·
Registered
51 Posts
At 65 mph range is over 200 miles at 85 mph it drops down to 185. Low fuel warning kicks in at about 3/4 of a gallon left.
I've been dealing with an electrical problem so I've been keeping close tabs on output with engine running I'm putting out 14.5 v.
Hope this helps

·
Administrator
15,401 Posts
Seat wear not a problem for me, although a bunch of us didn't get the Indian leather conditioner the manual talks about (I'm at 3k mikes with lots of rain also lots of heat -- 100+ degrees) Any aftermarket conditioner should work. Re electrical power for accessories, plenty of power for heated vests and jackets ( plus all the other goodies). Re paint, it's soft but I noticed no defects in application.

HINK

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a quick update from my original post guys:

Seat: Have had no issues. I have been using a product called Skidmore.

Paint: I was very concerned the 1st few days of ownership. However after a quality waxing, I have no concerns about soft paint.

Heat Shield: My heat shield is turning color from heat (not from idling). I'm about to put another 1000 miles over the next few days in the Midwest heat, so I'll be curious if the issue worsens. If so, I'll be visiting the dealership. My mileage is great so I'm a bit nervous about having anyone mess with the fuel/air mixture.

·
3,602 Posts
Just got back from a trip. The Nelson Rigg cover I bought works great but with my black paint it did leave light scratch marks on the finish. A few dabs of Meguires polishing compound and a speed buffer made quick resolving of the issue. I did go out and buy some of the Rejex that others had mentioned. My next detail job on the bike I will give it a try. Dean

·
3,602 Posts

Best,

Dan.
As for distance you can easily plan for 200 miles between fill ups. Ran mine on the last trip dry and made it 233 miles. As for the alternator output, a heated vest or chaps should be no problem. All lights are LED. The RM does have heated seats and grips. Honestly with the heated grips and seats I doubt a heated vest would even be needed. I can only take the heated seat on low for a few minutes before it gets too hot for me and turn it off. I usually have the grips on 3 or 4 when it is really cold and with the vents closed and the clear deflectors in the up position I get a good amount of heat from the engine to help keep warm also. Dean E

1 - 20 of 22 Posts