Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man what is going on with this RM!? The other day the chassis warning came on for a sec, then went off while I was in motion slowing for a stop. And today I noticed it pop on and then go right back off while riding. Not sure what's up. Then when I go to start it tonight after work it didn't want to turn over very well. Sounded like the battery was dead, gave a few cranks and quit as a code popped up. But I just had it on the tender overnight before I left. The code popped up on the screen, but I was already turning it off and didn't catch it before it was too late. Now, I have no idea what the 523 is, and I know I got a search result here somewhere. I'll have to look again. But the vehicle Diagnostics doesn't give me anything on that one. The 181C is Sidestand extended while motor running. The only way I could get it started was to bring the stand up and sit on it and it started. But my N light and gear indicator is reading -- not showing me what gear it's in. But I had to put the side stand down after I got it started the first time I let it run a minute while I read the codes on the screen. But all my stuff to put on was not within arms reach so I had to put down the stand, but forgot it cuts the motor off even in neutral, too. So I dressed up and sat on it pulled up the stand and it fired up. And 1598 is Tail light. Shorted to ground. However, the tail light is working fine running light, and brake light. I did hear a pop under the seat but nothing went off or no errors popped up on the screen when that happened. So time to dig in and see what's up. I guess I'll be testing out the new tires I got on my POV tomorrow then xD.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the first thing I was going to check, and did this morning when I woke up. I thought the battery terminal ground may have been a little loose, but I had to try really hard to move the cables attached to the terminal. The other ones I couldn't get to budge trying to wiggle them back and forth on the positive terminal and frame ground. They are torqued down real good. But it doesn't appear to have fixed anything. The dealer I contacted this morning thinks maybe it didn't get recalled from this year for a kickstand recall. I bought it at the end of May 2020 and it's a 2019, but I'll have a time to get it in the week of Veteran's Day. Thanks for the reply papanorm always the first things I check when something goes nuts. Even on the VTX forum when I had my honda, usually resolves a lot of issues.

The 523 code is gear sensor signal fault, according to this old post, maybe it's still the same. Makes sense since the gear number isn't showing up, too.

·
Registered
2021 Indian Roadmaster
63 Posts
I bet it missed the recall. I heard that kickstand sensor was causing all kinds of problems and throwing crazy codes on some of the RMs. Hope that's all it is and your dealer gets you back on the road soon.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hoping for the best too! How's the 2021? The 2019 was a considerable upgrade from my 2005 Honda VTX!

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Had nearly the same last year --> recall gear-sensor not done yet. Take out the 2 main fuses, switch the bike on/off and put the fuses in again. Codes are gone. Pay more attention to look at the dash, when powering off the bike and the bike running hot. Always wait for "N" do display, then you are on the save side.

Attachments

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I'll have to take a look and see what I can do then.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well for the first time in a few days went out and checked it out. When I turned on the motorcycle for the first time with the power button, there were no codes present on the screen. No N green light or gear indicator -- still. Put my seat back on, pulled the kickstand up, put the gear in neutral, clutch in and pressed the start button. It fired up. Idled a minute and checked all the lights and signals while sitting on it which are all working. Guess I'll just have to wait til I can get it to the dealer. I did pull the main engine fuse and turned it off and on then replaced it and repeated. Nothing changed. Still no codes like I mentioned in the prior post showing up. But still clearly a problem with the gear sensor and N not being illuminated. Looks like I'll just have to wait to get it to the dealer til next week. Maybe Tues or Wed. I'll call Mon and see what's best as they recommended.

And on a side note, still having some uncomfortable seat issues. It's 75% there with having Astech Seats do some initial work, and an adjustment. Still feels like riding a banana or horse saddle up front on the seat where it touches the back of the tank. Taking it tomorrow to a local guy to discuss what they could do to help alleviate that forward pressure point in the groin area. So hopefully get something going for that. It's not too bad for commuting, but for a long trip, it needs to be better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
But still clearly a problem with the gear sensor and N not being illuminated....
Not sure if it applies to your bike, but I just bought a new 2017 RM (serious, lol) and one of the service bulletins for mine was this recall for the Gear Position Switch. My dealer was very familiar with the issue and assured me they will replace it. If yours hasn't been swapped you might want to see if this is somehow related.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it's similar. The dealer seemed to not be surprised on the phone, and said that's most likely the issue. Still rides fine. No codes when I turned it on, and started it up until about 25 mins in to my commute. Still no gear sensor or N light. But at least I can count to 6. Haha!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I talked to the dealer yesterday they looked the bike up and had actually completed the recall previously before I bought it. So they reflashed it today and the neutral light and gear indicator are back on and working. I mean, I can count to 6 but it's nice to have. Now just got to see what winter has in store this year. Rode a lot last year, and hearing rumors of it being mild again this year. Time will tell. Got the rain gear ready.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Figured I'd just add to this thread all the wackiness that's been happening just yesterday! The chassis warning light has been coming on and off for a while. Told the dealer when they reflashed it a couple weeks ago, but it's still doing it. Everything was going good, then all the sudden I'm getting all these crazy codes, and the turn signals aren't working. Felt like a little motor hiccup and one of the codes was about one of the cylinders. After work, since all this happened on the way in, I took the trunk and seat off in a big spectacle where it was parked. Thought I better check the battery terminals, even though I tightened them down last time I had the seat off a few weeks whatever ago that was. They were still good and tight. So I put it all back together and started it and made it home, my co worker followed me til they continued on since we travel the same route. Here are some pics of the codes. A bunch of them.

These have all disappeared with the exception of the oxygen sensor codes for front and rear. Strange, but I'll check them out while I have some time off, too. 400 more miles til my 5k oil change. So I'll have it back to the dealer soon and they can check stuff out, too. And the low beam one was probably because I had the bike power on with the headlight unplugged. And the last picture, is the culprit. It was in the left side fuse block it was in the 10A Sec Engine position.

Attachments

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was trying to wire in some switchback turn signal lights to the rear that just wouldn't work properly no matter how I wired them. Since the front turn signals already have a running light module to make the front signals running lights, and turn signals, I thought I could wire them both to the rear and still wire the front to the accessory for the white light, and the rear would activate the yellow turn signal feature since those turn signals are not running lights (so I wouldn't have the white running light facing the rear, too). To no avail. I'm not sure if that was it, because when I put the tail light/turn signal assembly back together, everything was fine. Signals worked. Rode to work and back home with no trouble, codes, issues, not anything. Halfway to work the next day, the codes started popping off. So if that fuse popped when I was doing something, how could it be the next day, that it would have an affect?

And the oxygen sensors are popping a code. So now after consulting a manual, I couldn't find what circuit they were on to try to check any other fuses. Nothing else is popped on the fuse block under the left side cover than I can see.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, in excess of 10amps is a lot of current to be passing through a device, my guess is you've got a short somewhere. Possibly intermittent. Did you replace the fuse? Is it still ok? Since you've been doing work a good check over everything and everywhere you've worked is in order as a first step. Did you trap a cable?, poor connections which could touch ground? etc.
Your codes could be coincidental but to have so many at once and suddenly...um, not really likely you've actually got all these failures is it?
Put your detective hat on...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes there is a new fuse in place. I took the tail light off again to check all the plugs and wires. Nothing there, as they are all working after the fuse replacement. I don't think I have those failures, that one fuse must be connected to a lot of stuff to make so many show up. Still need to see about the oxygen sensor codes, too.

But now I have a new problem. The front chromed plastic piece that goes over the headlight on the fairing, one of the bolts has turned loose the inside threaded "nut" or whatever it threads in to so I can't get the bolt out now.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
So if I'm reading this right, you're having multiple codes,no one can figure it out.
You take it to the dealer ,they reflash your bike,then release it back to you.
After billing someone for thier time.
And the whole time it was a blown fuse that escaped detection by everyone involved,untill you yourself found it?
You know I was working on a harley that has been in the dealer multiple times for a miss.
He wanted me to sell it as a lemon.
I changed the plugs.
Runs good now.
Were in deep trouble friends.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No the reflash was before, regarding a recall. This fuse must have just popped to cause all of the errors, which I found and replaced the fuse. The only remaining errors I see at this time are the oxygen sensors. Not sure why they would go off to create a code, unless there is another fuse somewhere else I don't know about that has the oxygen sensors on that circuit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts