Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attempted this yet on their own. I was at the dealer getting the recall done and was told it was a five hour job.
I made my living as a mechanic and i could do a engine swap in that ammount of time. I have got to believe there are a couple of multi pin electrical connections and two or four fairing mounts and the front is off.
If the dealer is going to rake me over the coals this hard i should at least get a kiss.

·
Silver member
5,027 Posts
It is a lot of work after the forks are off the bike too. I did mine at 15k as recommended, but I am changing that moving forward so next time for mine is at the point of the second front tire. or in my case the third front tire. So around 45K I will do mine again. The fluid showed no signs of wear or break down at 15k...

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
I have seen older oil (50k miles) look great as well as fairly fresh (2k miles) look terrible. The recommended service interval likely incorporates this variable. The components do not always wear at the same rates and can be unpredictable in that regard.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
The thing I would be very careful with regarding allowing a dealer to do this service is the experience and competence level of the service tech. If they are well experienced and do not cut corners in their care of your bike, then the rates could be justified. Know your tech.

·
Bronze member
2,632 Posts
You’ll need special tools to do the service at home. If you’re a mechanic, remove the forks at home and take them to the dealership for service...that’ll save you a significant bit. BTW, replacing fork oil at 15k is unwarranted in my view. I’d go at least 30k. I had a fork seal leak on my RM at 15k, so I got mine changed under warranty. I couldn’t tell a difference in front suspension when I got the bike back.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I had mine done at 40k miles at the dealer. Way beyond my abilities to do at home. I'm pretty good friends with the dealership manager, all the sales guys and techs. All of them were saying to not service the forks unless there was a need to. I decided to do it anyway since I have some longer rides planned and have read some positive threads about getting it done. I don't know that I can tell a difference or not but I feel good knowing the bike is taken care of as good as it can be.

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
Just had my 30k mile service done last week, which included fork oil change. Other than the $$$, the bike seems just fine. This included two recall items. Shifter switch is working fine now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts