Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I took upon myself a project on my days off this week. I ordered some leather from Tandy. Best I could do color wise for what they had. I was going to dye it dark, but the dyed sample piece I used really hardened the thin soft leather. I may see about treating the sample with something, but the color isn't too far off. I stitched some sticky velcro to the back of it, and stuck the other velcro on the floorboard metal pan edge. See how it lasts and holds up. I tugged on it pretty hard, so I don't think the little fringe will pull it off from the velcro? We shall see. I didn't find it difficult to remove or re install the stock rubber floorboard, too. I don't mind sticking the sticky velcro on the floor board. But the only other way to put any on the hard bags or trunk or somewhere else is probably sticky velcro. I guess you can get the sticky off later if you take off the velcro.

And I'm having a hard time getting one of the arms closed all the way on the trunk. Just can't make it go down no matter what I do trying to get the trunk on and angled in. Anyone else have to wrestle it in there? I think it's seated in the front mount points. The rear clamp won't close over the rear bar that it should close over.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,059 Posts
I had the same problem with the trunk. Best way to do it is:

Angle the trunk downward toward the front.
Line up the front points on the spools.
Leaving the trunk at an angle, push it forward, rocking it back and forth while changing the angle up and down.
When you don't feel any more forward movement, set the back down.
It should lock in. If it didn't, make sure the plastic on the spools isn't warped or damaged.

·
Rider
943 Posts
Also, check the plastic bushings on the rear where the trunk clamps. I have seen those deform and make it difficult to clamp.

·
Registered
56 Posts

I did similar on my vintage. Took the indian Velcro fringe, reversed the Velcro so it was side down and used industrial stick Velcro to the outside of the passenger floorboards. One year a and couple thousand miles in mixed weather, holding strong.

My Roadmaster will remain fringe free.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure looks nice!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts