Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I followed the service manual instructions and I seemed to have the belt dialed in to about 34mm deflection at 10lbs. The belt was OK on the pulley, so I did not touch the left side adjuster nut. I retorqued the axle nut and got everything back on. On a test ride after about two tenths of a mile I was pulling out onto a street and gave it some power. I felt something slipping and there was reduced power. As soon as I could I pulled over and checked the belt as it felt that was where the problem was. The belt was sloppy loose, way worse than before I attempted to adjust it. It could easily be deflected all the way up. Any ideas what I did wrong and how to remedy? If i need to take it to the dealer, is it dangerous to ride with belt so loose?

·
Rider
943 Posts
What was your final torque spec? Also check to see what the torque is on the axle.

·
Rider
979 Posts
Did you figure it out? What happened? Loose axle nut? Was it on a lift when you adjusted the belt?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been out of town on business travel. Plan to take take a look this weekend. If the axle nut is loose, I will be concerned because it was torqued to spec at the end. I have been thinking through the procedure, and I can't think of what I did wrong - and I just did this adjustment on my Scout (it is working fine) so I am not sure what to expect. Will share my findings

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update - took at look at it this morning. The right side (looking from back) had moved forward, explains the loose belt. The axle nut was @65 ft lbs and the notch was where I had left it at 3 back from the front. Therefore the right and left sides were far out of alignment after the slippage. When I broke the axle nut loose, it readjusted to the same notch as the right side. Pictures attached below. I don't know exactly what went wrong, but I explained to the local Indian service shop and they said I did it correctly. So to follow the definition of insanity, I will repeat and expect a different outcome!
Roadmaster belt adjustment.jpg

·
Rider
943 Posts
thinking of when I just did two belt adjustments on two different RMs is the only way for either side to slide forward is if the adjuster was broken allowing it to slide forward? Or if the adjuster nut was not tight against the frame allowing extra distance for the right side to slide forward? Or am I missing something?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts