Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not a fu_king chance in hell would I EVER consider that kind of ride. When you had that WTF moment when the hair on the back of your neck rose up, you had your answer. When you woke up in the middle of the night thinking about such a dangerous trip, you had your answer. I crossed over a couple of times back in the late 70's while in the Military...Tijuana...and I was scared shtiless then, "I had my answer" moment way back then. I didn't lose, or miss, a damn thing in that shtihole of a country. Just MHO!
roflmao... now that's an answer for ya!

What I'll also say is that... with my bad luck, I'd probably get Montezuma's Revenge and be puking in my helmet there and back. NOW THAT... is a picture I'd rather avoid. lol

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,590 Posts
Not to take away from the point of your story.... but Mexico City is actually situated over 7000' elevation. (We will have a repair going on there in a month or two and I was surprised to find this out)
From Wikipedia:
Mexico City, for example, is not only 7,200 feet above sea level (that's about a mile and-a-half up in the sky), it's situated in a valley surrounded by mountains and flanked by two volcanoes
Other than exposing that I was sleeping in geography when they were talking about Mexico City what is your point? My note was to point out my experience when I was in Mexico. Other that just stating a raw opinion I usually try to state examples of why I do what I do. This is one of them. As with any country you will always find great local people and some that do not have your best interests at hand. For me, Mexico has more cons that it does pros. D

Reactions: A-58

·
Registered
2021 Springfield Dark Horse
415 Posts
Other than exposing that I was sleeping in geography when they were talking about Mexico City what is your point? My note was to point out my experience when I was in Mexico. Other that just stating a raw opinion I usually try to state examples of why I do what I do. This is one of them. As with any country you will always find great local people and some that do not have your best interests at hand. For me, Mexico has more cons that it does pros. D
My point was exactly what it was.... Mexico city is at 7200' elevation not sea level. I couldn't believe it either when I saw that (as stated, we are headed there in a month or two to do some repairs on an A/C) so imagine how tall the mountains surrounding it are?
Also as stated... "not to take away from the point of your post" which I wasn't doing. In other words, not trying to refute or belittle the point of your post which I took was pointing out some of the dangers and things you have experienced there. Just pointing out the difference between sea level and 7200 feet which would be like saying Denver is at sea level. More of an observation.

Little but thin skinned?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,590 Posts
My point was exactly what it was.... Mexico city is at 7200' elevation not sea level. I couldn't believe it either when I saw that (as stated, we are headed there in a month or two to do some repairs on an A/C) so imagine how tall the mountains surrounding it are?
Also as stated... "not to take away from the point of your post" which I wasn't doing. In other words, not trying to refute or belittle the point of your post which I took was pointing out some of the dangers and things you have experienced there. Just pointing out the difference between sea level and 7200 feet which would be like saying Denver is at sea level. More of an observation.

Little but thin skinned?
Not at all, just could not see the relevance of your post. D

·
Registered
134 Posts
After reading some of these posts... I think we should do a "Motorcycle Challenge", the first two challenges I think would be great would be:

1) Ride a Triumph, with a big sticker saying "God Save the Queen" on the side of the tank, and a license plate that says BRTSRULE, South to North across Ireland evil snicker

2) Ride a good ole fashioned Indian with a big American eagle across the side of the tank down Tiananmen Square

* I would sooooo start a "Go Fund Me" page for both of these and donate a good sum of money to see this done roflmao. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist)

·
Silver member
6,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Well seems that the nays are waaaaaaaaay over the yays in this one. From what I can determine is that there are about 23 votes on the negative side with some being a bit direct as in the "NFW" category. And I can only determine with any clarity just 5 yays to indicate the positive. Some were a bit vague, but it was not that difficult to determine that the poster was advising against such an adventure. As mentioned before, I really appreciate the input. Mostly it just served to strengthen my position and to not make the trip.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My group of riding friends are planning a ride this fall to the interior of Mexico. They say it's beautiful down there and I can't argue with that, but it's a bit dangerous for the Gringos these days. I've been invited along but I do have my reservations about riding down there. I talked to a great friend of mine who is American of Hispanic descent, speaks and understands Spanish fluently and is in international sales so he gets down that way from time to time. He's from El Paso, Texas and we were in the Army together. He definitely advised against it, saying that the cartels and banditos are getting brazen as of late, and they have no qualms about waxing anyone to include touristas from the Estados Unidos ( the EEUU, what they call the US in Mexico) as they see fit. He said that the last time he was down there there were superbly armed guards based in the hotel they were staying at. Seeing armed guards in Mexico is not something out of the ordinary, but in the posh hotels in the downtown areas is a bit out of the ordinary. He said that some of the cartels were hitting places where the well connected American businessmen were staying for ransoming efforts, hence the armed guards. Big money in that these days, ransoming that is.

The way my friends described to me what the plan of action is was on the first day in country was to fill up the gas tanks to the tip top before crossing the border. Then once the border is cleared we're to haul ass and stop for nothing until it's time to fill up again. By doing this they say is to reduce the chances of "being surprised" by the potential neer do wells along the way that we might or might not encounter. They ride BMW AT bikes, and one rides a KMT AT bike, equipped with 7 gallon tanks. My Chief Vintage sports a 5.5 gallon tank, so do the math. I'll be stopping a bit more than they do for refills. Not that that's a problem in itself, they'll stop with me, but the whole scenario just doesn't set well with me at all whatsoever. And once we're down there, we'd have to run the gauntlet again to get home.

They said that going down Mexico way is no more dangerous than going into New Orleans. Maybe, maybe not. In New Orleans at least I can go armed and be reasonably able to take care of myself. Can't carry weapons in Mexico at all. Also in Mexico there's another situation to endure. The tourists get "munched" by the policia from time to time. Getting munched means being shook down for valuables, usually cash. I hear that they don't pay their police very well down there and this is merely an opportunity for them to score a few bucks from the rich touristas. Who they gonna tell.... I guess that you could carry a wad of counterfeits in a cheap wallet when it's munch time.

So, with all this said, what would y'all do? I am not going along on this trip. Hopefully the next one in the spring will be one of a healthier choice in destinations.
Not sure about the intent of the post. It appears that you already have taken a stance to not embark on the trip.

·
Silver member
6,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
Not sure about the intent of the post. It appears that you already have taken a stance to not embark on the trip.
No specific intent at all. Just interested in feedback from the members here. But right you are, I had thoroughly made my mind up to not go on the trip before my original post so in reality this entire thread was moot from the get-go. Maybe I should've just posted a survey and let it go at that, with no fleshing out as to why I posted it. I enjoyed reading the contributions of those who offered their opinions and fleshed out their statements with examples that they've personally encountered in Mexico or incidents that were related to them by others.

·
Registered
819 Posts
No specific intent at all. Just interested in feedback from the members here. But right you are, I had thoroughly made my mind up to not go on the trip before my original post so in reality this entire thread was mute from the get-go. Maybe I should've just posted a survey and let it go at that, with no fleshing out as to why I posted it. I enjoyed reading the contributions of those who offered their opinions and fleshed out their statements with examples that they've personally encountered in Mexico or incidents that were related to them by others.
Seems even though you had already made up your mind, I suspect that if the responses had been overwhelmingly favorable to taking that trip you may have seriously reconsidered your decision. Never hurts to get additional opinions and viewpoints.

·
Silver member
6,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Seems even though you had already made up your mind, I suspect that if the responses had been overwhelmingly favorable to taking that trip you may have seriously reconsidered your decision. Never hurts to get additional opinions and viewpoints.
Well maybe I guess….

We had that trip to Portugal, Spain, Morocco and Gibraltar set for March of 2020. A 17 day ride in all and was ready to go until the Kung Flu situation kicked in and out the sqaheelies on that ride. When invited along (via text), before giving my answer I texted my friend for advice (the one that said NFW I should ride into Mexico) whole-heartedly encouraged me to take the ride to the Iberian Peninsula and North Africa. So I texted my other friends back and accepted their invite. So the power of persuasion is strong, coupled with examples of whys or why nots are included.

And I value the opinions of my friends and (some of) the fine folks here.

·
Rider
604 Posts
Mexican family and have a house in Mexico. Used to go all the time until the wife’s good friend was killed by narcos. She then realized it’s not where she grew up. If you are fluent in Spanish and don’t have a nice vehicle then go for it and take some American money justin case you get popped by the policia. That being said far south I go is Las Cruces but my family goes all the time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have spent over 30 years traveling in Mexico and had a great time. Unfortunately, as someone earlier mentioned it changed about 20 years ago. I personally know of robberies, shooting and kidnappings. The country is not safe anymore. I still have friends that know that and take their chances. If you are kidnapped your family will have to pay $250,000 to get you back. Great country and people, but it is too bad the crime has skyrocketed to the point it is not worth it.....at least for me.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I wonder how many of the naysayers have gone to Mexico recently or are they just repeating internet stories. EVERYBODY should be scared to travel to the large DEM cities at night, but we still do. The wife and I just came back from a week trip to Ensenada on our 15 RM. It was a fantastic trip with no issues. Before Covid we went to Punto Penasco for their annual poker run, another excellent vacation. In 2018 we rode our RM to Mazatlan for the Mexican version of Sturgis, rode all over Mazatlan, then we took the very across the Sea of Cortez to La Paz, rode down to Cabo, then rode up the Baja Peninsula back home. We never had a problem or even the least bit concerned. Stopped many times by The Federales, were asked many questions by local police, let many kids sit on the RM. We've always had great times and we will go back soon.
In Ensenada we met The President of a Motorcycle Club who gave us great insight inro Mexico. I would rather run out of gas in Mexico than the south side of Chicago.
Shoe Bottle Barware Shelf Wine rack

·
Lifetime Achievement Award
4,802 Posts
Well seems that the nays are waaaaaaaaay over the yays in this one. From what I can determine is that there are about 23 votes on the negative side with some being a bit direct as in the "NFW" category. And I can only determine with any clarity just 5 yays to indicate the positive. Some were a bit vague, but it was not that difficult to determine that the poster was advising against such an adventure. As mentioned before, I really appreciate the input. Mostly it just served to strengthen my position and to not make the trip.
Add me to the list of no's, and I live real close to the border. Like Dean, I used to fly private into Mexico a lot for the company I worked for. This was 12 years ago and even then I would wonder when I or our company president would get kidnapped. Nope, will not step foot there now, let a lone ride through it.

Tell your group to take a lot of photos and shoot a video as they are getting robbed...you will appreciate it watching it after you decided not to join them.

·
Registered
497 Posts
“In New Orleans at least I can go armed and be reasonably able to take care of myself.”

Carry a weapon to take care of yourself, what! I love the USA and have been there multiple times but to live in a country where you feel the need to carry a weapon to take care of yourself, I can’t fathom that, only in America. From Oz down under.

·
Lifetime Achievement Award
4,802 Posts
“In New Orleans at least I can go armed and be reasonably able to take care of myself.”

Carry a weapon to take care of yourself, what! I love the USA and have been there multiple times but to live in a country where you feel the need to carry a weapon to take care of yourself, I can’t fathom that, only in America. From Oz down under.
Evil is everywhere. I used to carry just in case as well. Big difference in me and evil, I understood the ramifications and responsibilities of conceal carry. Evil does not. I was also fully legal in doing so.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Some friends had a great time in Cooper Canyon back in the '90's. Here's a YouTubers view earlier in the week. “People with guns are blocking the road”. MEXICO 🇲🇽 |S6-E83| - YouTube

I'd do it only after contracting one of Skynet's auto-Drones for security overwatch.
This is good advice about the YouTuber called Noraly from Itchy Boots. There isn't a chance in hell I'd take my Vintage down there. You would do well to watch her video series starting from where she enters Panama and heads North through Central America and into Mexico. Keep in mind also that she did that part of her trip during the dry season. There's lots of great places to see here in the USA with no fear of getting waxed or stranded.

If you want to live on the wild side a little head out to Sturgis this August for the Rally.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Hey, Mexico, Chicago, wherever. Shit happens and so does crime. When I was 19 and a bit naïve--and had no idea what "situational awareness" was--I was jumped downtown by 4 thugs. Spent 3 days in the hospital. Was very fortunate I could outrun them after taking a blow to my elbow when I put my arm up to block a blow from a tire iron.
T-H-A-T W-I-L-L N-E-V-E-R H-A-P-P-E-N A-G-A-I-N

61 - 80 of 92 Posts