Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
'19 SF - Metallic Jade & Thunder Black
926 Posts
^ responding to Jerrman's post about "The Long Way Up," it was a fun series and I thought the last season of the South/Central America was just shoe-horned into a show. There were just too much "unplanned" or "unforeseen" situations in the last season to suspend disbelief that it just happened to them. I appreciated the attempt to include the electric vehicles, but again that felt forced and seemed like a commercial shoe-horned into a t.v. show, crammed into a contractual obligation/cash-in...sorta like the original release of Godfather 3. I give this season a C- grade.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed the different rides they did through the series and the scenery they shared w/ the rest of the world. I hope it encourages non-motorcyclists to look into riding and encouraging (safe) international travel and adventures.

To the OP: I would consider a ride into Mexico, but on an ADV bike with a well planned and researched route and preparation.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,590 Posts
My last business trip to Mexico was back in 2017. Did an aviation technical presentation in Toluca. I flew with another rep who was also doing a presentation there and landing in Mexico City. What a $h!thole!!!!!!! You think the smog over Phoenix is bad coming in from Flagstaff, this is ten times worse. Mexico City is basically at sea level and surrounded by mountains. Had a private driver take us on the main highway out of the city. We were caught in the afternoon traffic leaving. Then I noticed about every 2 or 3 blocks there was a blacked out crow's nest between the inbound and outbound lanes with red and blue flashing lights on it. Lots of police sitting along the roadside on their bikes. I mentioned this to the other rep since he had been down this way a couple years ago and he had no idea what the crow's nests were about. I think our driver (who could not speak English) started to figure out what we were discuss. He made some hand gestures. He made a gun symbol and then pointed to his ring and then his watch then waved his hand indicating they would be gone. He was describing car muggings that would happen when the traffic came to a standstill! I was thinking HOLY CRAP! If there was a place for CCW it was here but my trusty Glock was back home. Even in Toluca we never left the hotel complex which had 10 ft walls all around it. Just not safe. At that point you really appreciate being back home in the midwest! I admit there is some beautiful country down there but simply not worth the risk to me. Dean

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wow, I find it amazing how many of you all are terrified of an opportunity for great adventure. On another note... Apparently CA is so bad now, that a lot of the wealthy are fleeing CA to go to Mexico. So I guess if you all are so scared of Mexico, you don't want to head to CA. It would appear from statistics that it is worse than Mexico to where its citizens would rather deal with Cartels and 3rd world like infrastructure than be in CA.
LMAO hold my beer... "terrified of an opportunity for a great adventure" funny how you tried to tie that to Mexico (honestly, I am laughing here and choked on my water / lunch time). Same could be said for traveling to St. Petersburg Russia, Egypt, Morocco, North/South Africa etc. lmao but doing it during more stable times, and having the right approach is the key; I sure as hell wouldn't go cruising on an Indian motorcycle thru any of the previously mentioned lol. Also, I don't buy your bit on CA leaving to Mexico either, please provide reputable sources for this including statistics on quality of life, medical care, housing, cost of consumables, gas prices, crime rates etc. Caveat', if that is true, well then I think that's a great fit for both Mexico and Californians; match made in... well Mexico. And it means that I can now take the sticker off the back of my car that says "Don't California my Utah!"

Lived in... Ann Arbor MI., Harrisburg PA., Miami FL., West Palm FL., Gaithersburg MD., Baltimore MD., Fairfax VA., Las Vegas NV., Pasadena CA., Raleigh NC., Chapel Hill NC., and now Salt Lake UT.... and I'm not done yet! All of these have been great adventures, I just prefer to go places where I don't have to constantly watch my six; will never go back to Detroit, LA area, Miami, Baltimore or DC (Inner Harbor in Baltimore used to be gorgeous with the USS Constitution and USS Constellation names escape me)... too much strife and all around f*ckery. Would love to ride thru Amish country on my bike, planning on hitting Moab, Zion, Bryce here in Utah, I will ride the PCH, hit "Four Corners", Devil's Tower, head up to Quebec/Montreal, and so many other places to go on a bike.

Lastly, I get it you're a fan of Mexico... cool, some good stuff has come out of that country (Tequila, Ricky Martin lol, salsa music I'm a jazz artist etc.), but driving skills, drugs, crime, criminal law, and education aren't some of their greatest exports... lets be completely honest here. Furthermore if I were going to hit a country down south, it would be Cuba... cigars, vintage cars!

·
Silver member
6,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Appreciate all the input gents, I really do. As mentioned in my opening statement, I will not be in attendance on the ride. Wish them the best, but I just don't feel good about it. I'd be too carried away with what's up around the next curve, not as if it would be another wonderful sight or place to behold, but whether or not it will be an incident that I'd rather not want to experience. I've been a policeman in various capacities for the last 41 and a half years or so and I'm really not up to anymore adventures, or surprises that can be life altering. My friends have lived what I describe as mundane lives for the most part, and riding is their only outlet from the safe family life. They have off road experience, dirt bike racing, enduros and such, but that's about it. I get that. It's just that I've had enough of the unknown and seeing of the dark side that when I go somewhere on vacation I want to be able to completely relax without having to contend with "dang, what now" when it occurs. When I make a motorbike trip, just taking in the sights and sounds and the comradery of the trek is enough for me. I still have my big episodes like getting flats, calling in and waiting for a tow truck and the like, stepping in holes and going to the emergency room, worrying about how my motorbike and I will get home, then spending 6 weeks in a wheel chair after surgery. That's about all the excitement and adventure I want on a motorbike trek nowadays. Now I just want to ride to where we will be bunking for the night, get a good meal, sip a few cool ones and burn a couple of stogies before hitting the fart sack. Yes, that does sound a bit boring but I can handle it.

And as far as staying safe and not wanting the potential for unforeseen incidents, I trust in Good Lord, but I carry a blaster with me. Can't shake that "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" thing. Can't do that in other countries.

Also I didn't include with my original statement that I have made four trips to Mexico in the past, once as a kid on a family vacation in 1975 or so, then again in December 1980 with my brother and a friend from the old neighborhood went down to Monterrey, Mexico to my uncles wedding. I had just got out of the Army, and doing dummass things was the norm and never considered the consequences. That was a great trip. I'd never do that one again! Then I made two more trips in the late 80s and the early 90s. The last two trips were day trips, walking across the border from El Paso into Juarez with my buddy. Wouldn't do those trips again either. My friend won't even do it anymore either. He's the one who warned me not to take a motorbike ride into Mexico. So it's not like passing on this trip would be missing the chance to see the beauty of Mexico. Been there, done that. And as mentioned by several other posters here, there's a whole lot of the good ole US of A that I haven't seen yet.

·
Rider
1,374 Posts
Americans are not well liked outside the borders, couldn't pay me enough to travel into the heart of Mexico, let alone 1 mile into the Mexico border...not on my life.
//Rant
@A-58 why not come to Montana and tour Glacier Park this Summer, it's jaw dropping...I promise! =)

·
Bronze member
1,787 Posts
I think an American in Mexico would be safer than an American in Russia.....at least at this time. If you look like a native, speak like a native and maybe "rent" a local bike, might be worth the trip, as I too, have heard the locals and scenery are awesome down there. Need to be smart and know where and when to travel, I suppose. Everyone is just trying to make a living.....whether it's illegal or not!!! If you value life, then the decision/choice is easy!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
LMAO hold my beer... "terrified of an opportunity for a great adventure" funny how you tried to tie that to Mexico (honestly, I am laughing here and choked on my water / lunch time). Same could be said for traveling to St. Petersburg Russia, Egypt, Morocco, North/South Africa etc. lmao but doing it during more stable times, and having the right approach is the key; I sure as hell wouldn't go cruising on an Indian motorcycle thru any of the previously mentioned lol. Also, I don't buy your bit on CA leaving to Mexico either, please provide reputable sources for this including statistics on quality of life, medical care, housing, cost of consumables, gas prices, crime rates etc. Caveat', if that is true, well then I think that's a great fit for both Mexico and Californians; match made in... well Mexico. And it means that I can now take the sticker off the back of my car that says "Don't California my Utah!"

Lived in... Ann Arbor MI., Harrisburg PA., Miami FL., West Palm FL., Gaithersburg MD., Baltimore MD., Fairfax VA., Las Vegas NV., Pasadena CA., Raleigh NC., Chapel Hill NC., and now Salt Lake UT.... and I'm not done yet! All of these have been great adventures, I just prefer to go places where I don't have to constantly watch my six; will never go back to Detroit, LA area, Miami, Baltimore or DC (Inner Harbor in Baltimore used to be gorgeous with the USS Constitution and USS Constellation names escape me)... too much strife and all around f*ckery. Would love to ride thru Amish country on my bike, planning on hitting Moab, Zion, Bryce here in Utah, I will ride the PCH, hit "Four Corners", Devil's Tower, head up to Quebec/Montreal, and so many other places to go on a bike.

Lastly, I get it you're a fan of Mexico... cool, some good stuff has come out of that country (Tequila, Ricky Martin lol, salsa music I'm a jazz artist etc.), but driving skills, drugs, crime, criminal law, and education aren't some of their greatest exports... lets be completely honest here. Furthermore if I were going to hit a country down south, it would be Cuba... cigars, vintage cars!
Americans are not well liked outside the borders, couldn't pay me enough to travel into the heart of Mexico, let alone 1 into the Mexico border...not on my life.
//Rant
@A-58 why not come to Montana and tour Glacier Park this Summer, it's jaw dropping...I promise! =)
Or better yet... why not take your Indian Motorcycle to it's roots... right here in UT, Bonneville Salt Flats, stop at the diner, then take your bike out onto the flats, and watch the movie "The Worlds Fastest Indian"... then scoot down to Vegas, and party like a rock star.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
he channel "Itchy Boots" has a solo female rider who is at this time riding through central Mexico and her last several videos have included multiple armed roadblocks and at least one instance of an armed group taking over a major highway and blocking traffic for many miles in both directions. The channel "Eva Zu Beck" had a lovely episode a week or two back where the locals who were hosting her overnight warned her desperately to stick to the toll road on Highway 85 and to not slow down or stop for anything until she hit the border crossing in Nuevo Laredo because the cartel activity was so high.
Take note that both of these ladies are fluent in Spanish.

Also, check out Eva Zu Beck's video where she enters Texas and is detained and searched.

Reactions: A-58

·
Silver member
6,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Or better yet... why not take your Indian Motorcycle to it's roots... right here in UT, Bonneville Salt Flats, stop at the diner, then take your bike out onto the flats, and watch the movie "The Worlds Fastest Indian"... then scoot down to Vegas, and party like a rock star.
Actually our little group made a big trip out west in the fall of 2019 and we really wanted to make it out as far as Yellowstone before turning and for home. I really wanted to go the Bonneville Salt Flats for my own "World's Fastest Indian" thing, and spend some time in Park City along the way, but alas, things didn't work out as expected and we had run out of time after we got to Moab, Utah. There's a bazillion things to see and do between Baton Rouge, Louisiana and Utah, and we squeezed as much in as we could. Just ran out of time. That's what I wanted to do for this trip, head out towards Utah, just driving and not stopping at every tourist trap and attraction along the way until getting to Park City, Utah. The pick up where we left off thing in other words. Spent many ski trips in PC and I'm interested in seeing what the place looks like not buried in sneaux (that's snow in Cajun French). Then head up to Yellowstone before turning for home. Do the tourist thing all the way back, well as much as possible with the time budgeted for the trip. The last trip out west was a 17 day ride. Nice, but not enough time to take in Park City, the Bonneville Salt Flats and Yellowstone. Dang.

·
Registered
2021 Springfield Dark Horse
415 Posts
My last business trip to Mexico was back in 2017. Did an aviation technical presentation in Toluca. I flew with another rep who was also doing a presentation there and landing in Mexico City. What a $h!thole!!!!!!! You think the smog over Phoenix is bad coming in from Flagstaff, this is ten times worse. Mexico City is basically at sea level and surrounded by mountains. Had a private driver take us on the main highway out of the city. We were caught in the afternoon traffic leaving. Then I noticed about every 2 or 3 blocks there was a blacked out crow's nest between the inbound and outbound lanes with red and blue flashing lights on it. Lots of police sitting along the roadside on their bikes. I mentioned this to the other rep since he had been down this way a couple years ago and he had no idea what the crow's nests were about. I think our driver (who could not speak English) started to figure out what we were discuss. He made some hand gestures. He made a gun symbol and then pointed to his ring and then his watch then waved his hand indicating they would be gone. He was describing car muggings that would happen when the traffic came to a standstill! I was thinking HOLY CRAP! If there was a place for CCW it was here but my trusty Glock was back home. Even in Toluca we never left the hotel complex which had 10 ft walls all around it. Just not safe. At that point you really appreciate being back home in the midwest! I admit there is some beautiful country down there but simply not worth the risk to me. Dean
Not to take away from the point of your story.... but Mexico City is actually situated over 7000' elevation. (We will have a repair going on there in a month or two and I was surprised to find this out)
From Wikipedia:
Mexico City, for example, is not only 7,200 feet above sea level (that's about a mile and-a-half up in the sky), it's situated in a valley surrounded by mountains and flanked by two volcanoes

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse
129 Posts
Crap, y'all need to read about what Cortez and the priests had to say when they got there a few hundred years ago. If you do podcast check out History on Fire 'The Conquest of Mexico'. Never find a better story.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Actually our little group made a big trip out west in the fall of 2019 and we really wanted to make it out as far as Yellowstone before turning and for home. I really wanted to go the Bonneville Salt Flats for my own "World's Fastest Indian" thing, and spend some time in Park City along the way, but alas, things didn't work out as expected and we had run out of time after we got to Moab, Utah. There's a bazillion things to see and do between Baton Rouge, Louisiana and Utah, and we squeezed as much in as we could. Just ran out of time. That's what I wanted to do for this trip, head out towards Utah, just driving and not stopping at every tourist trap and attraction along the way until getting to Park City, Utah. The pick up where we left off thing in other words. Spent many ski trips in PC and I'm interested in seeing what the place looks like not buried in sneaux (that's snow in Cajun French). Then head up to Yellowstone before turning for home. Do the tourist thing all the way back, well as much as possible with the time budgeted for the trip. The last trip out west was a 17 day ride. Nice, but not enough time to take in Park City, the Bonneville Salt Flats and Yellowstone. Dang.
LOL My ex was a huge Tiger fan (LSU), Geaux TIGERS, is what she used to text me; brings back memories. :) Plus I used to cheer for the Tigers when they had the "Mad Hatter" (Les Miles), since he has his roots at Michigan, and I watched him there as an assistant coach under Bo Schembechler. (tangent)

If you're ever out this way drop me a line, I'd be happy to travel with ya. I'm actually headed to the Salt Flats for my first ride on my bike, eta July sometime when it arrives; only an hour or two away from me. Then I'm planning on taking a ride down to Vegas (that's really home for me), and visiting old friends and hitting the Bootlegger Bistro (still in the fold)... miss that town a lot. It's a crazy town, and traffic is bad (real bad)... but there's nothing like it, especially in the Spring/Fall at dusk when the red glow of dusk blankets the city of lights. Too bad I won't have my bike by June 30th, the Barrett Jackson auto show is in Sin City for that weekend...

·
Registered
415 Posts

I guess CNBC, Washington Times, Fox News etc are not reputable sources?

I am glad to hear I could bring some humor and happiness to your lunch break.

Not sure I would say I am a "fan" of Mexico, But there is still great adventure to have there. Just like here in the States, I personally feel like you could spend years riding around the States and never stop being amazed with it all. It is an amazing country. But it is also about 4x the amount if not more to travel and have said adventures compared to south of our southern border. It sounds like you have moved around a fair bit and I find that awesome. I have been amazed at how many people here in the States do not travel and explore much outside their State let alone County. I too have traveled. I have traveled to 43 countries and counting, and have lived in 4 different countries, one of them being a 3rd world country (where I did my main growing up. Literally, grass huts with dirt floors, isolated villages with natives adorning bird feathers, pig tusks, and plants to cover themselves. Papua New Guinea, Look it up) where if you do some research, you will likely believe that you would have to fear for your life and ending up in a villages cooking pot becoming a festival dinner. Yet it is not like that at all. I have traveled all over the US to 45 States and have lived in 11 of the States (By living I mean having lived there for a year or more) so yes I have done a lot of traveling and adventures.

Anyway I digress, I understand that just because I would take the opportunity if I had the time and inclination (My trip this year is heading to MI to visit relatives I have not seen in over 35 years and back via back roads the entire trip) and at the same time I understand people's reservations and even respect their reservations. I was just making a statement as to how many of the post come across as terrified in my opinion. Maybe I just have a jaded point of view?

I think if you look at OP's post where they state they decided not to go it shows logic and what they feel is common sense for them. Their decision in my opinion is not based out of fear. I am totally on board with that. As I stated before... I firmly believe in trusting ones gut instinct or 6th sense, whatever you want to call it. I know mine has kept me out of harms way numerous times as well as when I have ignored it or forced it out of my mind... I tend to end up regretting that I did so. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Not sure I would say I am a "fan" of Mexico, But there is still great adventure to have there. Just like here in the States, I personally feel like you could spend years riding around the States and never stop being amazed with it all. It is an amazing country. But it is also about 4x the amount if not more to travel and have said adventures compared to south of our southern border. It sounds like you have moved around a fair bit and I find that awesome. I have been amazed at how many people here in the States do not travel and explore much outside their State let alone County. I too have traveled. I have traveled to 43 countries and counting, and have lived in 4 different countries, one of them being a 3rd world country (where I did my main growing up. Literally, grass huts with dirt floors, isolated villages with natives adorning bird feathers, pig tusks, and plants to cover themselves. Papua New Guinea, Look it up) where if you do some research, you will likely believe that you would have to fear for your life and ending up in a villages cooking pot becoming a festival dinner. Yet it is not like that at all. I have traveled all over the US to 45 States and have lived in 11 of the States (By living I mean having lived there for a year or more) so yes I have done a lot of traveling and adventures.

Anyway I digress, I understand that just because I would take the opportunity if I had the time and inclination (My trip this year is heading to MI to visit relatives I have not seen in over 35 years and back via back roads the entire trip) and at the same time I understand people's reservations and even respect their reservations. I was just making a statement as to how many of the post come across as terrified in my opinion. Maybe I just have a jaded point of view?

I think if you look at OP's post where they state they decided not to go it shows logic and what they feel is common sense for them. Their decision in my opinion is not based out of fear. I am totally on board with that. As I stated before... I firmly believe in trusting ones gut instinct or 6th sense, whatever you want to call it. I know mine has kept me out of harms way numerous times as well as when I have ignored it or forced it out of my mind... I tend to end up regretting that I did so. Just my opinion.
The fact of the matter is... they're fleeing to Nevada, Utah, Washington, etc. I just see a funny cartoon-esque picture of rats fleeing a sinking ship; yup a few will head to Mexico I'm sure. Also, I'm pretty sure (as a Hopkins Grad) if you had a serious medical issue in Mexico (your article points to health care), they'd tell you the first place to go is the "Airport" not one of the local hospitals lmao. The fact that people are fleeing to Mexico tells a lot about those people (coo-coo), and the state of California. Furthermore, I think the other point I was trying to make was not that I wouldn't go to Mexico at all... but I wouldn't be bold/crass enough to ride down to Mexico on a shiny gorgeous Indian motorcycle not expecting to catch some unwanted attention. Maybe it's my Detroit/Miami/LA, street smarts... I don't go lookin' for trouble lol, I avoid it...

Reminds me of the old cult classic movie "Swingers" when he pulls a gun...lmao

(NSFW language)
You don't live in LA, you live in Anaheim bro LMAO

·
Registered
415 Posts
The fact of the matter is... they're fleeing to Nevada, Utah, Washington, etc. I just see a funny cartoon-esque picture of rats fleeing a sinking ship; yup a few will head to Mexico I'm sure. Also, I'm pretty sure (as a Hopkins Grad) if you had a serious medical issue in Mexico (your article points to health care), they'd tell you the first place to go is the "Airport" not one of the local hospitals lmao. The fact that people are fleeing to Mexico tells a lot about those people (coo-coo), and the state of California. Furthermore, I think the other point I was trying to make was not that I wouldn't go to Mexico at all... but I wouldn't be bold/crass enough to ride down to Mexico on a shiny gorgeous Indian motorcycle not expecting to catch some unwanted attention. Maybe it's my Detroit/Miami/LA, street smarts... I don't go lookin' for trouble lol, I avoid it...

Reminds me of the old cult classic movie "Swingers" when he pulls a gun...lmao

(NSFW language)
You don't live in LA, you live in Anaheim bro LMAO
No worries,

Any my point on their being more people now leaving to live in Mexico over other states is that IF Mexico was the, "you will be killed as soon as you cross the border" persona implied by many of the posters above... why would people choose to go there over say, Arizona, TX, ID, NM and so forth? The cost of living for them at least is far out weighing the "danger".

Heck when I was in the Corps, the "off limits" places were the best places to go. They were usually off limits due to "danger", but a little common sense, Lots of courtesy, and keeping ones wits, usually resulted in memorable experiences. But then I have always been a, get away from tourist traps and go explore the "real" culture type of guy.

Will check out your link when I get home. Anaheim... another place I have lived :) and yes... it is not LA :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Not a fu_king chance in hell would I EVER consider that kind of ride. When you had that WTF moment when the hair on the back of your neck rose up, you had your answer. When you woke up in the middle of the night thinking about such a dangerous trip, you had your answer. I crossed over a couple of times back in the late 70's while in the Military...Tijuana...and I was scared shtiless then, "I had my answer" moment way back then. I didn't lose, or miss, a damn thing in that shtihole of a country. Just MHO!

·
Registered
367 Posts

Kinda walked in your shoes as well. My 22 years Military had me traveling over 60 countries (a few others as a civilian), and the same things here in the States (with only Oregon, Michigan and Rhode Island missed). To me, with State Department warnings/briefings over the years, there are only 2 countries I would NEVER visit again: Mexico and Iran. That 'ick' factor over the years has kept me alive,,,my version of your 6th sense, and has served me well. Here, in the States, that 'ick' factor will also keep me out of blue city cesspools...never wanting to expose myself, or the wife, to risk. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
2022 Springfield Crimson Red
215 Posts
There are companies that do guided motorcycle trips down Baja all the time. I wouldn't venture into central Mexico but Baha has some of the coolest roads for motorcycles. Might want to check out a guided tour if you really want to see Mexico. They have been there and know the way around.

Reactions: A-58
41 - 60 of 92 Posts