Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
729 Posts
I used to live about 40 miles from here, oft overlooked which is a good thing.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,990 Posts
To me the TOTD is fun but over rated. Try the cherohala skyway. Just as fun and a lot less vehicles with some very scenic views. Dean

·
Bronze member
2,289 Posts
I just road the TOTG on June 20tth, Drop the Missus off at the bottom and went for it, on my '16 D-H.
Some how I did not meet one vehicle all the way up. I dragged the boards through almost every corner, it was a blast!
On the way down, I only got stuck behind 1 trike for a short time, and had the road to myself the rest of the way. Same thing, scraping boars the whole time.
Just a much fun the second time!

The last time I was there was few years ago in October, It had rained heavily the night before, which wash all the leaves of the trees onto the road.
The Missus was on the bike, and I was dragging a trailer. I think my average speed MIGHT have been 5 - 10 mph.

·
Bronze member
2,045 Posts
Iron Mountain Road near Mt. Rushmore. 17 miles, 314 curves, 14 switchbacks, 3 pigtails, 3 tunnels, 2 splits and 4 presidents. Best IMHO.

·
Bronze member
2,324 Posts
Have yet to do TOTD, but have been to and around Hana 3 times. Hwy 360 (road to Hana) does continue south and goes completely around. Tons of tight turns, switchback and incredible views of waterfalls, bays and black sand beaches. Back in the day it used to be mostly dirt, but now it's paved and totally makeable on 2 wheels.

·
Rider
2021 Roadmaster
662 Posts
Have yet to do TOTD, but have been to and around Hana 3 times. Hwy 360 (road to Hana) does continue south and goes completely around. Tons of tight turns, switchback and incredible views of waterfalls, bays and black sand beaches. Back in the day it used to be mostly dirt, but now it's paved and totally makeable on 2 wheels.
I was on Hana Road back in 94 in a rental Chevy Geo Metro. The road was far from being paved past Hana. In fact rental vehicles were not allowed on that section but me and the brand new Mrs went anyway. One particular spot was so rutted up and rocky that you would have thought it was for truck/jeep competition. Anyway I guess the road has changed for the better since then.

Reactions: zjondoe007

·
Rider
1,170 Posts
Arizona Hwy 141 has them all beat . Previously named Hwy 666, The Devils Highway. 120 miles, 950 cruves and 9000 ft. of elevation. Apx. 5 hours drive time. Almost no other traffic and well paved.
Correction, It's Hwy 191 south of Alpine.

It's on my "to do" list one of these years.

--
Gordon

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,990 Posts
Arizona Hwy 141 has them all beat . Previously named Hwy 666, The Devils Highway. 120 miles, 950 cruves and 9000 ft. of elevation. Apx. 5 hours drive time. Almost no other traffic and well paved.
I absolutely agree. Did that ride a few years ago and !oved every minute of it. Beautiful ride, I'll bring the wife next time I'm out that way. Dean

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Road to Hana is 64 miles and 620 curves, meaning it has 9.7 curves per mile, making the most curves per mile of any road in the northern hemisphere. The only 'straight portions are the bridges, with 59 means there is almost one bridge every mile.

·
Bronze member
2,324 Posts
I was on Hana Road back in 94 in a rental Chevy Geo Metro. The road was far from being paved past Hana. In fact rental vehicles were not allowed on that section but me and the brand new Mrs went anyway. One particular spot was so rutted up and rocky that you would have thought it was for truck/jeep competition. Anyway I guess the road has changed for the better since then.
Haha, did the same with my then new bride in 17' and it was still only partially paved. Scared the sh*t out of her. So much fun. It's looking good now fully paved all the way around. Still narrow, most parts only 1 full size car at a time can pass. We got up in the dark way before light and caught the sunrise at Haleakala crater, breakfast in Paia and then lunch and dinner in Hana and all the way around back to Lahaina. That was an awesome day, great memories.

Reactions: metal1
1 - 20 of 36 Posts