Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
My local dealer had the Vic demo truck over the weekend, and I had the good fortune of riding an XCT, and then two pre-production Indians back to back. Some thoughts:

- I am longtime Vic supporter and enthusiast. My Hammer Premium has been a great bike- and it sold me as a true believer on the brand. I have overlooked some of the nusance probs with my hammer- top end noise, paint that is just OK, and drive line lash at lower RPMs.

- I am in the market to add a tourer or touring cruiser to my bike armada. Currently own some classic bikes and modern triumph. Been riding for 20+ years.

- The XCT:

Good wind protection, lots of gizmos, 2 up comfort, and all of the other high points that others on the Vog always cheer for. Definitely not for me because of twitchy handling, and some styling that is hard for me to embrace. The Hammer, and the upgrades that I have put into the thing, seem to make it more confident for me than the XCT. Did not expect this angle, since so many others love the handling of the bike. Some of the Cycle mags whine about high speed weave--- I felt some it at every speed. Not enough to be dangerous, but combined with the size, mass and carrying a passenger I never felt that I could relax and enjoy the ride. Could be a one off problem with this bike, but it is enough to deter me from buying.
The top box and all of the gear might be making it more top heavy than I am familiar with on my other bikes? Sig Other hates the styling of the fairing equipped Vics, so that pretty much shuts it down.

Indians Chieftain:

Very Wow'd by handling, and the Sig Other loved the seat and ride compared to my Hammer touring seat. Wind protection, power and quality feel are very strong. Lots of low end power, but it would run out of wind after about 4k rpm. Nothing but applause for the engineering and execution. My single QC issue was a very pronounced buzz that came up through the fairing at about 2800 rpm. Only happened in a narrow rpm range- but almost unnerving becasue the bike is so welll sorted otherwise. I was the only person at the demo day that just wasnt sold on the styling of that fairing. In terms of fit, features, meeting my needs, etc--- I am sold on this bike, but I just cant feel good about the looks. That faring/sheild combo is not great to my eyes. Still considering buying it I will try not to look too critically at the styling.

Indian Vintage:

Likely to buy this bike over the winter. Love the styling, the handling, and all of the other points from above. Since the bike will be used for 2 up mid- distance touring ( 150-200 mile day trips), I think that I can do without hard bags, fairing etc. Likely to add a heated seat and grips, lowers on the forks, etc. Will remove the fringe- just dont like it.

'Again, just my angle and reaction. For the record, I have no plans to sell the Hammer. Still will be used for one up riding and blasting around.

Big fan of my local dealer for letting me take these bikes out, and looking forward to supporting them. Great service in the past.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
4186 said:
My local dealer had the Vic demo truck over the weekend, and I had the good fortune of riding an XCT, and then two pre-production Indians back to back. Some thoughts:

- I am longtime Vic supporter and enthusiast. My Hammer Premium has been a great bike- and it sold me as a true believer on the brand. I have overlooked some of the nusance probs with my hammer- top end noise, paint that is just OK, and drive line lash at lower RPMs.
- The XCT:

Good wind protection, lots of gizmos, 2 up comfort, and all of the other high points that others on the Vog always cheer for. Definitely not for me because of twitchy handling, and some styling that is hard for me to embrace.
I'm really puzzled by the 'twitchy handling' comment? It must have been something substantially wrong with the demo bike.
I closed out the 'travelling' season this month with a solo, three day, 1200 mile tour of some great mountain roads between my home in northern West Virginia, through Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Ohio and back. During that trip it cemented for me that the XCT is the fastest, tightest, lightest handling bike I've ridden since my son's Ninja. And with cruise control set on a necessary 80 mile stretch of I-81 it will track, NO HANDS, for literally miles.
But to each his own with styling. otherwise I too am sold on the brand. VICTORY!
Thanks for the review, I just woundn't want a lurker passing through checking out Vics to see that 'Twitchy handling' thing and have it unanswered. With 7,000 miles this summer of pure perfection on the road solid as a rock and planted like an oak tree is the only sensation I've gotten from the XCT.
Regards,
Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
I understand, and agree with, your take on the CCT, open1. I've tried it a number of times and just gave up. It isn't solid enough to me and I don't enjoy riding it. I really liked the Chieftain and fortunately I like the fairing. :) Thanks, and best of luck in your search.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your informative review. After reading your take, I am intetested in testing the chieftain out, which was not my intent previously.

Stay safe and thanks again for the review.

Ken

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
4186 said:
Since the bike will be used for 2 up mid- distance touring ( 150-200 mile day trips)

Will remove the fringe- just dont like it.
200 miles is not mid distance touring.

That's doesn't even require a fuel stop.
Keep your bar hopper.

The fringe is extra.
It is held on with velcro.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I have ridden the Hammer it is a fine Bike and you are wright is does handle differant than the XCT, they are two differant bikes the XCT is made for long rides carring luggage and the Hammer is a cruser. Every bike has it own feel I ride my XCT in town and at 70mph with no twitching or ill handling problems and as for me I have owned over 20 differant Motorcycles in my life and the XCT is the best one I have had for ridding long distance and I love the looks of the XCT I have people stop and commet on how they like the style and look of the XCT I don't beleave anyone can make a jugment call on any Bike with just a short Demo ride. That being said you should allways ride what fits you , the way you like to ride and the style that you like, it is your bike and you have to live with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
First, great post thanks for taking the time to write it!

Twitch comment caught me as well. My XCT is twitchy if the front tire pressure is low (like < 35-37#)

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
I to think it may have been something with that bike, have a 08 Kingpin and just got a 2013 CCT in middle of Aug. I find this new bike to handle as good or better in some cases than the KP. Have noticed though that in certian road conditions when pavement is cupped it seems like it kicks out a bit, but I think thats contour of road more than bike. But again to each they own.
Have 7600 KMs on it now
Regards

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
havnt been on a indian, but would like to demo one.the review of the xbike & the handling is a jaw dropper! it & the vision are pretty sporty.

never once felt unstable.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
No clue why that XCT felt 'twitchy'. I fully recognize that handling is a somewhat subjective quality, like styling. The suggestion about the tire pressure is an interesting one. On a few of my bikes, just a few pounds psi can make a world of difference in the ride quality. Since so many people rave about how the XCT handles, it must be me or some quirk to that particular bike.

To each his own, I suppose. If the Indian had been a big disappointment, I probably would have gone back and tried out the XC without a top box. I like the XC and XR more from a style standpoint than the XCT. (I am still a sportbike guy at heart). Some on the VOG have said that their XCT handles differently without the box carrying some weight up high--- that may have been part of the tippy feel that I got from the bike.

I am likely to go with a Chief Vintage over the winter. Glad that we all have so many choices from Polaris. Its also great to see so many folks passionate about their bikes.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
decisions, decisions, gotta love it ! i always go with my gut feeling and i'm guessing you will too. don't forget theres something about these vics,,, they just grow on you.
i never saw it coming but i'm now head over heals for my last purchase,,, so sweet ! you can't go wrong with any of the ones your lookin at , happy trails .

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Funny thing is this pass weekend their was a rider with a CC that had mention something about handling and tire problems, so they changed out tires. So just for the hell of it I asked if they had checked air pressure in shock, reply was shouldn't the dealer have checked this on my last service check just a little while back. Well yes they sould I guess was my reply, but when I checked it for them it read a big 0 for pressure, filled to the required pressure for riding conditions, drove for the day checked at end of day pressure was were we had set it in AM, asked if they noticed a difference, big smile on their face and I new the answer. So just maybe something there. And I also agree with time pressure, it does on take a couple of Lbs to make a big difference, road snakes will let you know in a hurry when this is out of wack.
Regards

1 - 13 of 13 Posts