Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While highway driving last week the right center fairing panel blow off the bike. It suffered some serious road rash. I went to the dealership to get it fixed. Got the we don't do body work answer. They offered to order / sell me a new panel $400. For injected mold plastic? I went to a body shop, they didn't want to but would do it for $400 without a guarantee the paint would match. I found that Indianmotorcycles.com will sell direct for $359. Anyone have any suggestions???

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,390 Posts
While highway driving last week the right center fairing panel blow off the bike. It suffered some serious road rash. I went to the dealership to get it fixed. Got the we don't do body work answer. They offered to order / sell me a new panel $400. For injected mold plastic? I went to a body shop, they didn't want to but would do it for $400 without a guarantee the paint would match. I found that Indianmotorcycles.com will sell direct for $359. Anyone have any suggestions???
There is no good way to mend broken plastic panels. Your best bet is to get a replacement panel. They would come painted in the correct color. Sorry, but it is better to bit the bullet and fix it right. Dean

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no good way to mend broken plastic panels. Your best bet is to get a replacement panel. They would come painted in the correct color. Sorry, but it is better to bit the bullet and fix it right. Dean
Thanks Dean but it's not broken just scuffed up and has some edges chipped. I put it back on the bike because it covers some wiring and most of the chips are covered by the edge of the seat.
I wanted to bite the bullet but $360-$400 definitely would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Thx I ordered the kit.
Make sure to see if you need a base or a clear coat also or a primer. You can use standard bondo for filler if it is the thickness of a credit card or less. It will turn out fine, just spray on fine coats and build it up. You can color sand with 2,000 paper and some water to make it perfect. Then wait a few days and wax.

·
Registered
900 Posts
What is a right center panel?
Why isn't this a warranty issue?
If something just flies off is that not because they put it together poorly?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I believe he meant he lost a side cover, the ones that pop off so you can get at fuses and whatnot.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The right 'center' panel is directly under the front seat on RM. The left side covers the fuse box and tool kit. The left side covers wiring. I bought it used and was looking for the tool kit on both sides [didn't have one] and must have not gotten all the push plugs completely in on the right side. My bad.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Oh! sorry. I get it. I remember that did happen to someone else on here a while back. It is a pain to line those up sometimes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts