Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone here has went from a full fairing bike (Road Glide Special, in my case) to the Springfield (normal or DH). I have a 2019 Road Glide Special and was thinking about trading it in for the 2020 SDH in Sagebrush. Just want to know if anyone has any pros/cons they can share with me, thanks!

·
Bronze member
3,432 Posts
well it's totally up to you... do you need a radio?... do you need wind protection better than a wind screen?.. because quite honestly everything else on the Indian is better.. of course you should expect that answer on a Indian forum..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The radio...don't need so much, but I do like the Navigation part of the infotainment system. That's my biggest hang up. Also, wanted to get an idea about how much difference in wind protection there is

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,225 Posts
A set of fork mounted lower wind deflectors are a must otherwise you'll have turbulence behind the windshield causing buffeting. The fairings on the Chieftains and RMs don't have near as much buffeting as the windshield models but you'll pay more for them up front.

·
Rider
2017 Springfield
967 Posts
I will add another recommendation for the lower wind deflectors if you are going to ride with the windshield. If you go for the Dark Horse, then I recommend you get a windshield and lowers.

You can get a phone mount and use navigation on your cell phone.

I went with the Springfield because I didn't want the fairing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Those two are much different bikes. The Road Glide and Challenger are comparable bikes. The Springfield is Comparable to the Road King. You can always go to your local dealer and test ride the Springfield on the highway to get a feel for the Non-Fairing ride. I just test rode a 2020 Road King Special a month ago. What a beautiful looking bike!

Attachments

Reactions: lugnut1009

·
Registered
61 Posts
last year I got myself the touring bike I had always dreamed of a Yamaha Royal star. I hated it!! Ya in the early and late parts of the riding season the environmental protection was a blessing but in the heart of the season it was nothing short of tourcherest. I chose the Springfield because I can change it up depending on the days riding conditions. If its cold and you desire the added protection of a fairing, get a removable fairing and then when the weather gets better remove it and go back the the wind screen. I plan on having about 6-10 different configurations of my bike by the time I get all the accessories I want. To me its about adaptability because I just don't have the cash or space for 2-3 bikes

·
Registered
353 Posts
Same here, except I've never had a fairing bike. Always loved the road glides though. I liked how the Springfield could go from the windshield on to off easily, now I just need to make some sort of bracket I can set it on and strap to the passenger backrest when I want the wind in my face on long trips. I like to have options...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts