Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago, I'm going down the road and look down to see my speedometer reading 110mph when I was only going about 50. I don't need a speedometer to tell me how fast I'm going until I get above about 70mph, so I just kept riding and figured I'd deal with it later. I stopped for gas, and on starting back up, the speedometer normalized (including a pic from the stop, before the restart)

Yesterday, I went out for a ride to clear my head and had no destination in mind. I found myself on that same stretch of road from two weeks ago where the speedometer went nuts and thought to myself - more as a lark really - "I wonder if it will happen again". Curiously, the same thing happened on the same stretch of road. Stop, restart, back to normal. No problem the rest of the day.

Possible causes for this general problem have been discussed elsewhere in this forum, but not this type of cause. Rain/dirt getting into the sensor makes sense to me, but a specific stretch of road?

I've put 600+ miles on the bike in the two weeks between events (I'm furloughed from work) and it has only happened these two times. The road was clear in front of me both times (nothing kicking up dust ahead). There's no evidence that the road crosses an ancient indian burial site (meh pun) or anything like that. It wasn't raining either time. The bike was dirty the first time, clean this second time.

There is a chicken farm and a land fill not far off the side of the road where this happened (smells great). The land fill is new to the area and sees heavy use. I've ridden this stretch of road in years past on the same bike and did not had a problem, but it has been at least a year and the land fill is new in that time. Other than the miles/normal wear and tear on the bike, I can't think of anything that has changed in that year. The stretch of road and preceding stretch of road was and is in good condition, smooth, no bumps, no potholes.

I'm going to see if a third time is a charm, maybe tomorrow, but any guesses/ideas/considerations I'm missing?

·
Bronze member
4,097 Posts
When I had a Scout my speedo started to get erratic and the problem worsened over time. It would speed up much more than bike speed and would not drop as I slowed down. One time I was stopped at lights and when I started across the intersection it showed me doing over 100 kph as I dropped into 2nd. As the needle dropped it would do so in little jumps, reflecting that it's probably a stepper motor problem.

In trying to check what was happening I found I could rapidly accelerate up to the speed limit in town, then slowly decelerate. The speedo would rocket up under acceleration but stop there under decel. Doing this repeatedly I was able to get the needle all the way around the dial to the 7 o'clock position and never go over the limit.

I took it in to the dealership, probably a few weeks after it began playing up, and the service manager rode from the workshop to the front gate and back. He said the speedo was up to highway speed already. From that one demo he ordered a new one under warranty. The bike had just on 5,000 kms.

A search on the forum will turn up my post about it, probably mid 2017, and a few other Scout owners with the same issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts