Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same, the tear TPMS on the test wheel kicks in as soon as I take off but the front takes a while to register. Any idea what would cause that.

Ron

·
Bronze member
2,626 Posts
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same, the tear TPMS on the test wheel kicks in as soon as I take off but the front takes a while to register. Any idea what would cause that.

Ron
At bike start up, the front and rear TPMS kick on at different times on my 16 RM.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
On my '17, the TPMS doesn't show anything until I start rolling, and sometimes it takes a few miles before the front will register.

In before the requisite "I can't believe you guys are worried about tire pressure sensors! Back in MY day, we had to check the pressure with a gauge before we kick-started the bike!" post...

·
Rider
666 Posts
They kick in pretty quickly on my '16, but indeed at different times. I had the rear one replaced while the bike was still under warranty, due to it intermittently not reading.

·
Rider
796 Posts
My rear fails intermittently. Will work for 4-500 miles then quits for awhile. I’ll replace it when I slap on a new tire in a couple months.

·
Bronze member
4,109 Posts
TPMS sensors don't transmit to save battery life until centrifugal force is applied (wheel rolling) so they won't alwsy come on at the same time or as fast.

·
Registered
14 Posts
On my '17, the TPMS doesn't show anything until I start rolling, and sometimes it takes a few miles before the front will register.

In before the requisite "I can't believe you guys are worried about tire pressure sensors! Back in MY day, we had to check the pressure with a gauge before we kick-started the bike!" post...
If I'm going to pay 30k for a bike I shouldn't have to check it myself ! Lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just put on new tires and had Indian change out the sensors.
I got tired of them not working.
Now, they register before I turn off my block.
So happy now they work as they should.
2015 RM

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,597 Posts

Ron
That is normal. The sensors do not register until the wheels start rolling a bit. As long as they don't drop off and give you a TPMS warning light do not worry about it. If it gets bad enought to get the monitor light after rolling down the road a bit then the battery in the sensor is going bad and needs to be replaced. Den

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I’ve given up on mine on my 2016 RM. Rear was always intermittent so I’m done, turned them off. I’ll check manually from now on.

·
Premium Member
2021 Roadmaster Icon
65 Posts
I had similar issues with my 2016 RM.The batteries in the sensors start to fade after a couple of years and take longer to do their jobs. My Indian shop guys replaced mine under warranty and I got two new tires installed free of labor charges. If you still have any warranty left, talk to your favorite Indian shop and they should take care of you, too

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
No warranty, dealer no help! Too expensive to replace sensors off warranty.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
If I'm going to pay 30k for a bike I shouldn't have to check it myself ! Lol
That is my argument when something small breaks. I had the lock switch replaced under warranty because it was not lighting properly. I told the service manager that I felt silly filing a claim for it, but I shouldn't have to on a $30k motorcycle!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts