Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the Rivco hitch and wiring components to install on my 2017 Roadmaster. The install went great. Very easy to install the hitch and the three wiring components required. I was able to use the hitch with two different trailers that I have. Everything was working great.

At the beginning of July, I went on my first big road trip with the Roadmaster and towing my trailer. 4 couples, all riding 2-up and towing trailers. From Salt Lake City to Rapid City, Sturgis, Black Hills, Yellowstone and home. While in Rapid City, we were able to stay in a house and for our day rides, we left the trailers so we didn't have to pull them around every day. We ended up in Custer one day and had to sit out an hour long rainstorm. Heavy rain, and didn't have my cover with me... No real problems with the bike, but when we were loading up to head out for Cody, WY and Yellowstone 4 days later, we noticed that when my bike was turned off, the running lights on the trailer were still on. Also had issues with the left side lights not working correctly (no turn signal, brakes were OK, running lights were off and on at times...). Was able to get home with no problems and start to dig into the problem.

An e-mail to RIVCO, and a phone call later, and Mark helped me to initially figure out that it appears that the isolator was the issue. (Part # TWC003) It gets mounted under the seat, but with the Roadmaster, and the hole in the seat for the drivers backrest or the OS strap, the rain got down into the isolator. It is sealed, but the new one has a button to select the operating mode (4 wire bike to 5 wire trailer, 5 wire bike to 4 wire trailer, or 4 wire to 4 wire/5 wire to 5 wire). We think the water got in through the button that selects the mode. It does not look like it is sealed, while the rest of the unit is sealed very well.

Mark had a new unit sent out to me, I have reinstalled it and have just shipped the old on back for testing. One thing I have done to the new unit, is to apply some liquid tape (you could use caulk) to seal the button once I have selected the correct operating mode. This part is a newly redesigned part (combined two previous parts into one with a user selectable option), and I just think the button issue was just a fluke.

Mark was very helpful in helping to diagnose the problem, and identify what we thought was the issue. Since I was concerned with a part that would corrode from the moisture that we thought got into the isolator, Mark was able to just send out a new part for me. Great customer service!

I have had several RIVCO products on the last few bikes and have really been pleased with the products, and for those rare problems, the customer service has been great! Quick response, and a willingness to work with me to get the issue resolved without a lot of hassle.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
How did you route the wires to the rear of the bike? In with the existing wiring harness to the tail light? If so, did you have to remove the rear tire or fender?

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3M double sided tape, and attached down front of fender, along bottom edge of fender and then under the hitch. Attached wiring to inside of hitch (there is a metal loop there), and some heavy duty velcro to the side of the plug and inside of hitch assembly... I'll get some photos in the next day or so and post. With the saddle bag covering the wiring, it was eadier to just rout the wires outside of the fender. I don't plan on riding without the bags, so not an issue for me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
3M double sided tape, and attached down front of fender, along bottom edge of fender and then under the hitch. Attached wiring to inside of hitch (there is a metal loop there), and some heavy duty velcro to the side of the plug and inside of hitch assembly... I'll get some photos in the next day or so and post. With the saddle bag covering the wiring, it was eadier to just rout the wires outside of the fender. I don't plan on riding without the bags, so not an issue for me.
Pictures would be much appreciated. Thanks for a good write up.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I didn't take the seat off tonight, but the first photo (from the original post) shows where I placed the isolator, and this shows how I routed the wires to the back... And the photo from under the bike showing the wiring attached to the hitch...

Hope that helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
I didn't take the seat off tonight, but the first photo (from the original post) shows where I placed the isolator, and this shows how I routed the wires to the back... And the photo from under the bike showing the wiring attached to the hitch...

Hope that helps.
That helps a lot. Thanks for going through the trouble of taking and posting the pictures.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem. I was originally going to try to route the wires under the fender, along the top with the tail light wires, but it just isn't quite long enough. And I couldn't reach up into the rear fender to get the wires over the rear wheel.

·
Registered
207 Posts
No problem. I was originally going to try to route the wires under the fender, along the top with the tail light wires, but it just isn't quite long enough. And I couldn't reach up into the rear fender to get the wires over the rear wheel.
That's my first choice, but don't want the hassle of removing the rear tire to get to the existing wiring harness.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts