Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Rinehart slip-on's for Scout

18K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  ChristopherMiles 
#1 ·
My just installed Rinehart's for the Scout are loud. Too loud, almost, even with my full face helmet on. The Manufacture's Rep told me yesterday that the 4" pipe for the Chief is quieter than the 3 1/2" pipe on the Scout. Feedback to Rinehart on the Scout's muffler: 80% are happy, 10% think they are too loud, and 10% think they are not loud enough.

Shawn, a manager at Rinehart also told me the end caps could be removed and the baffle wrapped with fiberglass packing made for mufflers and then secured tightly with safety wire before reinstalling the baffle to lower the sound level. This procedure is found on YouTube and Google. He also shared with me that red thread locker was used on the end cap screws and said some heat would help in their removal.

It was a big shock for me going from whisper quiet OEM to aftermarket. I will wait a bit before attempting any modifications. Overall, I am very pleased with the quality of the mufflers and the genuine help from customer service at Rinehart. The Scout's motor runs very well with these racing mufflers and the performance seems strong

#2 ·
For background, I got to hear a set Rinehart's on a Chief at my dealer and they were not too loud with a deep rumble. Sounded great to me! The Harley crowd seems to really like them too. My dealer just got his first two sets of Rinehart's in for the Scout and I bought a set. My dealer had never heard the sound of these on a Scout yet. We both installed them over last weekend and boy are they louder than the Chief.

#3 ·
Ordered Acousta-Fill Exhaust Silencer Packing from the UK about 2 weeks ago and installed it today. It now has the sound level of Rinehart's on a chief. My guess is a 30 to 50 percent reduction in volume. It gets almost quiet when cruising, but crack the throttle and you get a serious bark. Love it now. Was able to install the Acousta-Fill blanket without removing the mufflers or the baffles
Auto part Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel
, just the end caps. The info sheet on this sound packing says it expands to fill the void once exposed to heat.

#4 ·
Update #2. After riding awhile, I noticed the mufflers were again getting louder. Removed the end caps again and stuffed a second sheet (400 mm / 16") of Acousta-Fil into the space between the straight-thru baffle and the muffler's outer wall. Really packed it in tight using a long screwdriver. I had earlier tried to remove the baffles but could not seem to get them to break free. So I removed the mufflers and stood them vertically to aid in packing. Sound great to me now. Whew!

#10 ·
I just finished installing Rineharts on my 2020 Scout. I dont know if it's because it's a little late at night and the neighborhood is extremely quiet, but these pipes are too loud for my taste. My goal was to be able to be heard in traffic, (which these definitely do the job) but not this loud. I have to admit that they sound great though. :) I'll leave them on for a while to see if I get used to them. I'll also try the packing as mentioned in this thread. Any tips?

#11 ·
As I mentioned earlier I found the Rinehart pipes way too loud. I packed them and it helped and it seems to be getting a little better over time. I have about 700 miles with the packing and I think I will probably leave them on. I used the drag specialties packing kit . One kit did both pipes as I was able to peel the packing apart and make two pieces. It’s too thick the way it comes. Not sure where your located but I have two extra kits if your interested send me a pm and we can check on shipping cost and see if we can work something out.
Font Auto part

#15 ·
Update: Took a day ride yesterday up the WA coast (14 hours). Picked up a Schuberth CP3 Lite and Cardo Freedom 4+. Reviews of the Schuberth said it was pretty quiet, and I thought having that and music would help with the exhaust. Nope. I can hear the music just fine, but the pipes are still pretty loud in the background. Ringing in my ears at every stop and also when I finally got home. I can at least stand the noise on short trips around town now. Again, I love the tone of these things. My background, if you look up my screen name, is from when I was a Combat Engineer in the Army. I handled a lot of explosives in my career, and was also blown up a few times while I was deployed. I also have two energetic boys, 8 and 5. So I'm used to loud things.

If I add the wraps to the baffles, is there a way to take them out to do this, or "stuffing it in" the only way? Thanks all!

#20 ·
Putting in acoustic fill works and it significantly reduces the sound level. Whether that level after is good for you after or not just depends on personal preference. I packed mine maybe 2-3 years ago and the acoustic fill has held up just fine and haven’t had to touch them since. I just carefully stuffed in several sheets on each muffler and that’s it, pretty simple really.

#22 ·
Respectfully in order to truly get them to quiet down you need to pull the baffle and wrap it an either use a wire or package tape intermittently. Just stuffing the wrap in really won’t do that much. If you want different fiberglass wraps for exhaust do have different thicknesses to help quiet it down.

#23 ·
Generally speaking, it may be more effective to use your method. Stuffing the wrap in does work though and I measured the decibel levels before and after and it significantly reduces the sound levels. The reason I didn’t pull the baffles is that it seems very difficult with the rineharts and other posters haven’t been able to get them out. Why go through the trouble if in the end you can achieve the result you want.

i think the type of fill material probably matters too and acousta fil expands when heated so wrapping the fill doesn’t seem logical as your just preventing expansion and I don’t see what would be gained by doing so.

#36 · (Edited)
Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes, but I'll just tell you what I know. I don't own an Indian. My bike is a 1987 Harley FXRC. I'm here to post a pic of what is inside a Rinehart slip-on and what it takes to wrap one. Hopefully, it's a help. My bike has a one year only exhaust system that mounts mufflers on both sides. The stock Harley mufflers are just at 24" in length and no longer available anywhere. Anyway, I wanted a little more oomph from my exhaust. It so happened a gent on Craigslist had a set of 3.5" Rinehart's for an Indian Scout for short money and the dimensions closely matched my vintage Harley mufflers. I got them. I'd read they were LOUD out of the box so when I got them, I immediately disassembled them to wrap.

1. Remove three Allen head screws from the tips.
2. Wrap a pair of vice grips in cloth and grip the tips firmly. (If the mufflers have been used, spray some WD40 on them)
3. Tap the nose of the grips with a rubber mallet to work them loose.
4. When the tips come off, spray some WD40 down into the muffler to loosen the baffles.
5. Take the vice grips again and grip the edge of the baffle.
6. Again, tap the vice grips with a rubber mallet to work the baffles loose. They WILL start to come out.
7. They're out.
8. Wrap the baffles with fiberglass mat. You can use wire OR tape to secure them Doesn't matter which. Make it tight.
9. Slip the wrapped baffle back in and put everything back together.

OK, that's it. Worked for me. I don't know what the Rineharts sounded like unwrapped because I made no effort to install them that way. Now, they are loud but not LOUD. Again, this is on a Harley. Your mileage may vary.

Greg

Material property Gas Wood Flooring Automotive exterior
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.