Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Putting in acoustic fill works and it significantly reduces the sound level. Whether that level after is good for you after or not just depends on personal preference. I packed mine maybe 2-3 years ago and the acoustic fill has held up just fine and haven’t had to touch them since. I just carefully stuffed in several sheets on each muffler and that’s it, pretty simple really.
Thanks this is very helpful. Is removable if I change my mind down the road?

·
Rider
1,660 Posts
Respectfully in order to truly get them to quiet down you need to pull the baffle and wrap it an either use a wire or package tape intermittently. Just stuffing the wrap in really won’t do that much. If you want different fiberglass wraps for exhaust do have different thicknesses to help quiet it down.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Respectfully in order to truly get them to quiet down you need to pull the baffle and wrap it an either use a wire or package tape intermittently. Just stuffing the wrap in really won’t do that much. If you want different fiberglass wraps for exhaust do have different thicknesses to help quiet it down.
Generally speaking, it may be more effective to use your method. Stuffing the wrap in does work though and I measured the decibel levels before and after and it significantly reduces the sound levels. The reason I didn’t pull the baffles is that it seems very difficult with the rineharts and other posters haven’t been able to get them out. Why go through the trouble if in the end you can achieve the result you want.

i think the type of fill material probably matters too and acousta fil expands when heated so wrapping the fill doesn’t seem logical as your just preventing expansion and I don’t see what would be gained by doing so.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Anyone have any updates on this mod? I love the tone of my Rine’s but would love to drop the overall volume down a bit. I passed a family in my neighborhood 2 days ago and the kid put his hands over his ears. I don’t want to be ‘that guy’.
It definitely helps. I used the packing from Drag Specialties and it worked fine. I had a harder time getting one of the end caps off than pulling the baffle out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yep. Pulled the baffle, wrapped and used stainless steel wire to hold it in place.
Is there a discernible difference in sound volume? I know it’s nonscientific but if you had to put a % to it what would you say the reduction is? I think this will be one of my winter projects. Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Is there a discernible difference in sound volume? I know it’s nonscientific but if you had to put a % to it what would you say the reduction is? I think this will be one of my winter projects. Thanks a ton!
Not sure what the percentage would be but it’s definitely noticeable. The Where are you located ? I’m in Charlotte NC area .if you are near by you can hear them for yourself. I also have a couple extra packing kits I would make you a good deal on if your interested.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not sure what the percentage would be but it’s definitely noticeable. The Where are you located ? I’m in Charlotte NC area .if you are near by you can hear them for yourself. I also have a couple extra packing kits I would make you a good deal on if your interested.
I’m in Indian Trail.
sent you a DM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Generally speaking, it may be more effective to use your method. Stuffing the wrap in does work though and I measured the decibel levels before and after and it significantly reduces the sound levels. The reason I didn’t pull the baffles is that it seems very difficult with the rineharts and other posters haven’t been able to get them out. Why go through the trouble if in the end you can achieve the result you want.

i think the type of fill material probably matters too and acousta fil expands when heated so wrapping the fill doesn’t seem logical as your just preventing expansion and I don’t see what would be gained by doing so.
What was the decibel levels? I just measured the rineharts and they measured 99 db at idle. Way too loud, but love the sound. I am thinking about packing but wanted to know how much it will change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone have any updates on this mod? I love the tone of my Rine’s but would love to drop the overall volume down a bit. I passed a family in my neighborhood 2 days ago and the kid put his hands over his ears. I don’t want to be ‘that guy’.
I was parked at the Seattle waterfront on a busy sunny day, backed against the sidewalk. I didnt do it on purpose, I just forgot about the sound, but I scared the SH*T out of everyone on the sidewalk when I started it up. If you have these pipes, you are "that guy."

The pipes and the sound grew on me. Around town, the volume isn't too bad and I still love the sound. I've purchased "EarPeace" ear plugs for longer trips and found that it helps a lot. I keep them on my keychain and it's part of my startup routine. I can still hear my surroundings, it blocks certain things and lets everything else in.

·
Registered
452 Posts
What was the decibel levels? I just measured the rineharts and they measured 99 db at idle. Way too loud, but love the sound. I am thinking about packing but wanted to know how much it will change.
It was years ago, I don’t quite remember. I believe the reading dropped around 10-15 decibels after I packed them with fill. I was just using a free app on my phone so who knows about the accuracy of the number, I was more interested to see the change in readings.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Removed my Rineharts yesterday to pack them... was hoping to remove the baffles and wrap them properly but they almost seem welded in... I dont want to damage, does anyone know if the baffles actually come out?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Removed my Rineharts yesterday to pack them... was hoping to remove the baffles and wrap them properly but they almost seem welded in... I dont want to damage, does anyone know if the baffles actually come out?
Disregard. I called Rinehart today (AMAZING customer service BTW) and they are removable and they gave me some tips on removing them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Scout Drake, anyway you could share some of those tips ?? Going to order some packing today and once it arrives i would like to give it a go !!.
Any tips would be really appricated.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts