Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, thinking about adding the Slimline Dual Header and Slip on Muffler to my 2017 Chieftain Dark Horse. I've heard from a couple of people that have them that they've noticed the amount of heat coming from their engine has decreased, has anyone else experienced this? Thought it was an interesting perk, if true, tips me in favor of purchasing. She runs hot.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
They run hot because they are air-cooled. That being said, the catalytic converter is in the header, just behind the rear jug. Since they work by heating up, a lot, that heat radiates to your right leg.

Removing the cat, switching to a true-dual system, or an aftermarket like the Slimline will reduce the amount of radiated heat. However, the heat of the engine itself will not be affected. You will not get down to, say, the operating temps of a water cooled engine simply by removing the cat.

·
Bronze member
4,119 Posts
Hey all, thinking about adding the Slimline Dual Header and Slip on Muffler to my 2017 Chieftain Dark Horse. I've heard from a couple of people that have them that they've noticed the amount of heat coming from their engine has decreased, has anyone else experienced this? Thought it was an interesting perk, if true, tips me in favor of purchasing. She runs hot.

the heat reduction isn’t as much as the Rineharts but the CAT being removed. That being said, the Rineharts have issues with scraping badly because the cross over hangs down too low. There is a thread here about this. Rinehart is said to be redesigning them but no ETA on when.

·
Bronze member
4,119 Posts
Do you all have another suggestion of a good true dual system that does not scrape?

The Rineharts are not "True duals" but a 2 into 1 into 2 (2-1-2) just like the factory setup, they just give the appearance of true duals. Real true dual pipes kill performance especially torque because the exhaust is completely seperate from each cylinder and there is no positive effects of scavenging like a system that has the exhaust come together.

That being said, many like the look and sound of true duals and don't mind the performance loss.

Bassani and Freedom Performance to make True dual pipes that don't scrape.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Rineharts are not "True duals" but a 2 into 1 into 2 (2-1-2) just like the factory setup, they just give the appearance of true duals. Real true dual pipes kill performance especially torque because the exhaust is completely seperate from each cylinder and there is no positive effects of scavenging like a system that has the exhaust come together.

That being said, many like the look and sound of true duals and don't mind the performance loss.

Bassani and Freedom Performance to make True dual pipes that don't scrape.
Are there any other 2-1-2 setups that remove the CAT that do not scrape/that you recommend?

·
Bronze member
4,119 Posts
You can actually get a header that does not have the cat. Fuel Motto has one. I believe TAB performance, does as well. Also a company called American Customs can also remove the CAT on your stock header. Some here on the forum sometimes will put their cat removed header up for sale. If you know someone that can weld etc. There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to remove the CAT

·
Rider
859 Posts
the heat reduction isn’t as much as the Rineharts but the CAT being removed. That being said, the Rineharts have issues with scraping badly because the cross over hangs down too low. There is a thread here about this. Rinehart is said to be redesigning them but no ETA on when.
I disagree. I had my cat removed by American Customs and while it cut down a lot of heat my new Rinehart slimline cut it down even more. I now feel more heat on the left side of the motor than the right. I live in Florida and it’s already hitting 90 degrees here so it’s nice not being baked in stop-n-go traffic.

As for the fitment, I was scraping pretty bad too but I just had my local shop readjust my crossover all the way up in the bracket plus another 3/8” or so when he notched it.

·
Bronze member
4,119 Posts
What most would be surprised and shocked to hear is all the Tunes that FM, Craig, and Dynojet offer keep the same lean factory 14.7.1 AF mixture in closed loop operation which is 70 percent of the power band we ride in. They do richen it a tad in the idle range of 14.1. The do make better ignition timing profiles and DBW profiles. In open loop the AF is actualily leaner a than the factory tune.......Yes leaner. The factory tune is super rich in closed loop so rich that it robs power but keeps the CAT nice and toasty. The CAT burns unburned fuel that is why it gets hot. The reason Custom tunes lower the heat is the AF mixtures are leaner and not so rich and this keeps the CAT cooler as it doesn’t have as much fuel to burn.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I disagree. I had my cat removed by American Customs and while it cut down a lot of heat my new Rinehart slimline cut it down even more. I now feel more heat on the left side of the motor than the right. I live in Florida and it’s already hitting 90 degrees here so it’s nice not being baked in stop-n-go traffic.

As for the fitment, I was scraping pretty bad too but I just had my local shop readjust my crossover all the way up in the bracket plus another 3/8” or so when he notched it.
I agree with Sith life. Installed rinehart slimlines w/rinehart slip-ons and haven’t experienced any scraping. Took awhile to install, had to cut some, but again, no scraping, everything
fits like it should. Heat reduction is noticeable as well. Performance is good, sound great, not too loud, but when you want to romp, it roars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts