Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Rim Cleaning

782 9
I have a '19 Chieftain that is in great (practically showroom) shape. One week spot is the rims, they are okay but they have what look like water marks on the bare parts. They are the Cast Aluminum 19 in. 10-Spoke rims. Any suggestions for cleaning these? I'm new to these bikes.

Reactions: Kost
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Super Moderator
2020 Challenger
3,899 Posts
Unfortunately, I haven’t found anything that will remove what you’ve described. My Challenger wheels look like this. I’ve tried auto polish and metal polish with no luck. The next step wound be to try a very course metal polish or a fine grit sandpaper. If you’ve tried polishing the aluminum part, you know how tedious it can be trying to just polish that, while avoiding the powder coating.

· Registered
2021 Challenger Limited, Ruby Red Metallic
515 Posts

· Rider
March 2022 ROTM Winner
2,724 Posts
Not sure about Indian but Harley-Davidson don't use any protective lacquer on their aluminum exposed wheels or cylinder head edges. As a result, they appear to become water marked and eventually end up with black spotting. A few weeks of Winter riding and my cylinder head edges looked awful. I mentioned this at the dealership, and they gave me a tub of their blended metal polish. To ensure I didn't hit the powder-coating I then got a small flat rubber sanding block and wrapped it in a lint-free cloth put some polish on it and set to work. It didn't take much effort, but the cloth needed changing several times as it turned black. I kept that bike for six years and never had to do it again. The fact it is H-D branded may cause derision with some, but in this case, it does come highly recommended.

Camera lens Material property Lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics

Font Circle Electric blue Pattern Label

· Registered
2022 Springfield 111 Black & Tan
510 Posts
I was hesitant to post.Probably get some push back but I have been doing this for years.
WD-40 sprayed on a rag will get rid of lots of discolored aluminum.I wipe it off as best as I can as it can attract a bit of dust.Or wash and dry the wheels the next week.I am careful and do the tires as well.Never used any tire black or slippery stuff,LOL!
Again,careful and never spray directly and dry or wash off.
I also spray it directly on the black parts of the engine.Keeps the engine looking new and moist(gets rid of the dry discoloration that appears over time).Vaporizes right off when I start up the bike.Sometimes I splurge and buy
some S-100 engine bright(for the engine) but the WD-40 does a nice job as well.

· Rider
1,404 Posts
I have a '19 Chieftain that is in great (practically showroom) shape. One week spot is the rims, they are okay but they have what look like water marks on the bare parts. They are the Cast Aluminum 19 in. 10-Spoke rims. Any suggestions for cleaning these? I'm new to these bikes.

I use these shower puff thingys, work great cleaning wheels on my Chieftain....Dawn and warm water....then rinse. I also use them for cleaning the rear drive belt pulley.
Creative arts Natural material Flower Petal Magenta

1 - 10 of 10 Posts