Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Silver member
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all of you that have joined the right side cover club. This seems like a good idea and might work well for 13.00. I'm not sure why it is not on this site already....

Reactions: theMucker

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Side covers flying off is a problem? That would suck so bad.
It's not common, nor is it unusual. It stems from the design of the nubs on the back of the panels, the fact that the rubber grommets wear out after awhile, and riders not paying attention to make sure that the cover is fully seated when putting them back on. You have to listen and feel for the three "pops" to know if it is fully seated or not. On the bikes with hard bags, the wire harnesses for the bags can also play a role if they are not routed correctly where they come out from under the panel. $13 (or $26 for both) is a small price to pay for not losing a $400 cover.

Reactions: TigerGA

·
Rider
1,023 Posts
I didn't know this was an issue at all. Sound alike more of an operator error not securing the panel after maintenance than anything. If it is a defect, then warranty might cover it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't know this was an issue at all. Sound alike more of an operator error not securing the panel after maintenance than anything. If it is a defect, then warranty might cover it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I lost mine doing about 110 on a long straight away. Indian did warranty mine, but it is hit and miss. Mine pulled the top grommet out when it came loose. So it wasn't rider error. They sent me a new cover and 8 new grommets with specific instructions to check the grommets for wear anytime I take the side cover off.

That was two years ago. I have lost it since knock on wood...

·
Registered
368 Posts
I put a light spray of silicone on the grommets every time I take the covers off. They pop in place really easy then and I feel confident that they are properly seated.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
there is a video of someone that put heatshrink on the tabs of the cover and then twists the ends to secure it on so that the cover fits more snugly when it snaps onto the bike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts