Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Vintage. I was wondering......

Am I the only one that hates the layout of the right hand switch cluster? Is there a way to change them with another year that has a better layout? (I haven't found one yet)
Is there an after market kit?

Just asking

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Not that I know of. The switch housings were redesigned in 2018, but the wiring is all different. At a minimum, you would have to replace the connectors on the end of the newer harness with the connectors used on the 2015 switch housing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Pre-2018 would be a bit easier as they are discreet switches, you would have to keep the same throttle sensor as that is ETC and the signal is going to be pretty specific to what the ECM is going to need to see as far as a throttle signal, especially because it has a redundant signal for safety. The connectors that are used are also really had to get as a consumer, they are an annoying connector type but were necessary at the time to be able to accomplish in-bar wiring.

JWPF Series - JST Sales America Inc. - 0.079" (2.00mm) Pitch | Online Catalog | DigiKey Electronics

Post 2018 there are going to be even fewer options because the hand controls switched to a CAN based system and Polaris' implementation of CAN is proprietary so it would be very difficult for an aftermarket company to replicate.

·
Rider
970 Posts
I dislike the Cruise control. Other than that it's fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
The cruise control switch on my 14 vintage is a PITA. I usually reach across with my left hand to engage the cruise. Trying to do it with my right thumb while holding the throttle steady isn't easily done.

·
Bronze member
2,221 Posts
The cruise control switch on my 14 vintage is a PITA. I usually reach across with my left hand to engage the cruise. Trying to do it with my right thumb while holding the throttle steady isn't easily done.
Besides my round push in switch for activating cruise control broke. Attempt to fix it made it "always on".
Could not find a seperate switch in the parts catalog. Only the complete switch housing as a unit with all switches for my 2014 Classic... for $800 ... Fxzxwh! (or am I blind?)

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
5,082 Posts
The wiring from 2018 will not swap with the earlier models. The switch clusters are quite different. There are now only two switches on the right cluster.

From 2018 there is no red button and no hazard switch on the right. The red button is now part of the engine start button, it's a two way rocker switch for start and stop. The hazards are now part of the indicator switch on the left.

And the cruise control is now only one switch - push to activate and right/left for set/resume. It is still a bit of a reach to first activate it.

I suspect you won't find anything to replace the stock. Most motorcycle companies only sell switch blocks as complete assemblies - I've had a Honda which broke the start button spring and it meant a whole new switch at crazy money. I went with a ball pen spring cut to length. Replacing a switch is not so easy.

I suspect the 2018 redesign came partly as a result of complaints about the clutter and position of switches on the earlier bikes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The wiring from 2018 will not swap with the earlier models. The switch clusters are quite different. There are now only two switches on the right cluster.

From 2018 there is no red button and no hazard switch on the right. The red button is now part of the engine start button, it's a two way rocker switch for start and stop. The hazards are now part of the indicator switch on the left.

And the cruise control is now only one switch - push to activate and right/left for set/resume. It is still a bit of a reach to first activate it.

View attachment 591702

I suspect you won't find anything to replace the stock. Most motorcycle companies only sell switch blocks as complete assemblies - I've had a Honda which broke the start button spring and it meant a whole new switch at crazy money. I went with a ball pen spring cut to length. Replacing a switch is not so easy.

I suspect the 2018 redesign came partly as a result of complaints about the clutter and position of switches on the earlier bikes.
The change didn't necessarily come from user feedback as much as better technology was available and cost effective. It was actually driven by wanting a better left hand control for the ride command system, the right hand control just came along for the ride since when you redesign one, you redesign both. The reason the button layout on the pre-2018 was designed the way it was, was because of how large the ETC sensor is inside the right hand control. There was no space to move the cruise control switch father outward towards the grip.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts