Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

101 - 120 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Should look good!

by the way, after riding with this for several days, I have to tell you that there is no way to adjust the height of the shift lever on the tank via any type of screws. If you need to adjust the height of the shifter, you need to readjust the bracket that holds the cross-member on the highway bars so that the lever reaches up to the D on the script.. At first, my lever was way too low and I realized that the left side of the bracket was not tightened enough and was moving around as I was shifting up the gears, further putting it out of place. Now that I have torqued it down as hard as I physically can, its in the proper spot and does not move at all.

Also, we're going to want to put a small dab of loctite on the screws that hold the linkage to the shifter and cross-member, because they become loose after a couple of rides, and it would suck to lose one especially while riding and have the shift linkage flopping about.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Thanks for the info!

Also, we're going to want to put a small dab of loctite on the screws that hold the linkage to the shifter and cross-member, because they become loose after a couple of rides, and it would suck to lose one especially while riding and have the shift linkage flopping about.
I'm not sure why Dom didn't provide lock nuts but I tossed those nuts and replaced them with lock nots before I installed them. I'll find out in the spring if that's enough but if not, I've got Loctite on hand

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
View attachment 374794 It is fun to watch all the progress you are making.

Here is mine on a 70 year old Indian Chief Sportsman.

Good Riding.

Dave View attachment 374792
Nice! I'm on the fence about ordering that exact same knob but that 1" stem at the bottom is steering me away-- Don't want the knob higher than it is as it would then be in the way of the handlebars

Reactions: SterlingDrive

·
Registered
443 Posts
Nice! I'm on the fence about ordering that exact same knob but that 1" stem at the bottom is steering me away-- Don't want the knob higher than it is as it would then be in the way of the handlebars
Yeah, don't change it from Doms design. It took me a really long time to get it into this sweet spot that if I fully lock the forks to the right, i'm about 2cm away from touching the shift knob. But then again I have this huge fairing on my RM which most of you who got this mod don't have to worry about.

I REALLY didn't want an accidental shift during a full lock right turn(U-turn) as this would be highly detrimental to the turn and tip my bike over instantly.

I told myself if this shift knob touches my knees(im 6'1) or it hits the fairing, its going straight back to Dom for a refund. So I took the extra time to make sure it wont do either and I am glad I did because its friggin amazing.

Reactions: RIVCO Products

·
Registered
443 Posts
OP, get the paint pens and color in the shift knob yourself. and while your at it, might as well paint the inlay of that fancy shift linkage you got yourself!!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
OP, get the paint pens and color in the shift knob yourself. and while your at it, might as well paint the inlay of that fancy shift linkage you got yourself!!
I'm not sure my skills are high enough to get the level of detail I'd like in the knob but great idea with the shift linkage!

Reactions: Trench

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #109

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
It looks like you drilled into your frame backbone and neck, is this true?
That's correct, he did. I think as that voids the warranty, it's the only downside to his kit. It's otherwise a very impressive design. As I mentioned previously in this thread, I wonder if he could invert the angle of that linkage to someplace under the tank as there may be a place to bolt to along the frame so that buyers don't have to void their warranties. It would also make for an even cleaner presentation.

·
Silver member
4,572 Posts
That's correct, he did. I think as that voids the warranty, it's the only downside to his kit. It's otherwise a very impressive design. As I mentioned previously in this thread, I wonder if he could invert the angle of that linkage to someplace under the tank as there may be a place to bolt to along the frame so that buyers don't have to void their warranties. It would also make for an even cleaner presentation.
Not only warranty, but I question the integrity of the frame. His design has nice appeal, but really needs to put some thought in to the mount to get away from drilling the frame.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Drilling into the frame and down tube... ugh Its beautiful but the down tube is a huge no no. Even if this did not void the warranty, I would not want to get into the structural integrity issues involved in drilling into that. Its an aluminum 1.25 or less diameter, and it was not engineered (at least i think so) to be altered in such a way. I guess if the warranty is over with it does not matter.. but for me it does until May 9th 2019 lol

Reactions: anderson930

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,244 Posts
Drilling into the frame and down tube... ugh Its beautiful but the down tube is a huge no no. Even if this did not void the warranty, I would not want to get into the structural integrity issues involved in drilling into that. Its an aluminum 1.25 or less diameter, and it was not engineered (at least i think so) to be altered in such a way. I guess if the warranty is over with it does not matter.. but for me it does until May 9th 2019 lol
There is a single 3/16" hole in each side of the cast aluminum frame neck. Then 3/16" stainless rod was passed through, the ends threaded and epoxied to the aluminum bungs. The reinforment straps were shaped and bolted in between the crash bars and the down tubes using the same crash bar bolt holes. No drilling of the down tubes was required.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Took your advice on the shift linkage inlay. This was a very tricky piece to paint but once installed you won't see that it actually came out a bit messy unless you get down on your knees. I'm happy enough with the result
20180118_132216.jpg

·
Registered
443 Posts
Took your advice on the shift linkage inlay. This was a very tricky piece to paint but once installed you won't see that it actually came out a bit messy unless you get down on your knees. I'm happy enough with the result
View attachment 374968
glad you took my advice, looks great. Believe me, if i found where you bought that linkage id do the same thing.

Reactions: anderson930

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
glad you took my advice, looks great. Believe me, if i found where you bought that linkage id do the same thing.
Unfortunately, the guy I bought it from only had the one.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,244 Posts
101 - 120 of 141 Posts