Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,229 Posts
Right hand shift kit by Dominic Novelli located in New York. He can be reached at (516) 509-4336.
Love it!
Is this really functional? Or just a cosmetic touch?

How are you keeping the RPM up when you shift?

WD./

Reactions: Leitrum

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this really functional? Or just a cosmetic touch?

How are you keeping the RPM up when you shift?

WD./
Yep, fully functional! It has a crossmember to a linkage that connects to the backside of the shift lever.

You do have to take your hand off the throttle to shift, so I won't be using this when I'm trying to beat my 0-60 time but it is fun as all hell and looks great.

Reactions: FlacoReyna

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,081 Posts
Too bad they don't make it left handed and move the clutch to the left foot.

I know Indian traditionally had the shifter on the right, but they also had the throttle on the left. The US standardized all motorcycle controls in 1975 to what they are now. I'm not sure if they could move the throttle to the left.

Here is the standard for controls
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-1998-title49-vol5/xml/CFR-1998-title49-vol5-sec571-123.xml

But if they were able to move the shifter without getting in trouble with Nanny Sam, my guess is that the limiting factor is cost.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yep, fully functional! It has a crossmember to a linkage that connects to the backside of the shift lever.

You do have to take your hand off the throttle to shift, so I won't be using this when I'm trying to beat my 0-60 time but it is fun as all hell and looks great.
what you mean dont have to take your hand off throttle to shift, sounds impossible

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what you mean dont have to take your hand off throttle to shift, sounds impossible
Reread-- I said you DO have to take your hand off the throttle.
Let hand off the throttle, squeeze the clutch lever with left hand, shift with right hand, let go of clutch lever, roll back on the throttle. Too easy

·
Registered
220 Posts
Reread-- I said you DO have to take your hand off the throttle.
Let hand off the throttle, squeeze the clutch lever with left hand, shift with right hand, let go of clutch lever, roll back on the throttle. Too easy
your right my bad sorry. like you stated no speed shifting. And it does look great

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
your right my bad sorry. like you stated no speed shifting. And it does look great
No worries bud, I misread things all the time. Thanks!

·
Gold member
6,421 Posts
MOST motorcycle were left handed throttle in the war kuz most riders were right handed to grab their machine gun from the right side!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks great, can you give us a ball park price?
Thanks, @wheelman1857. It's definitely spendy. This kit at 5 bones from Dom. Each kit takes him about 2 weeks to build, as welding and precise measurements are involved. But I didn't buy an Indian to expect parts to be cheap. It was worth it to me.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,081 Posts
MOST motorcycle were left handed throttle in the war kuz most riders were right handed to grab their machine gun from the right side!
Actually Harley made very few motorcycles with with a left handed throttle. One of them was the UMG. They tried to win the NYPD with it but the Boys in Blue still prefered the Indian.
Harley Tries to Take on the NYPD with the UMG - Riding Vintage

Most of what I've read say the left throttle was to allow riders to shoot with their right hand is a myth. From RIDING AN EARLY BIKE #1: “Myths about Indians and guns”

You might recall that Indian placed the throttle on the left hand twist grip, not the right. Don’t believe the old story that it was placed there so that the bike riding sheriff could ride with his left hand while he shot his revolver with his right hand! The truth is much less dramatic… Early motors responded strongly to variable ignition timing, due to their low compression and mild cam timing, and the primitive carburetion of the time. Indian made the decision to put the ignition control in the rider’s right hand, and relegated the throttle control to his left hand. As motors developed, and throttles became the dominant control method, Indian stayed with their layout. As an option they eventually did offer reversed controls, to help sell bikes to riders who were used to right hand throttles. (And Harley sold bikes with “Indian type” controls too, trying to woo customers away from Springfield).

From Indian Trivia Question [Archive] - Classic Harley Motorcycle, Classic American Iron

Police departments did NOT prefer the left throttle so they could shoot a gun with the right hand. The actual reason is far less glamorous.
While restoring my '53, which had been a NYC police bike in it's earlier life, I spoke with a gentleman who used to be a motor officer in NYC. He was almost 80, and was very informative. I asked him about the "shooting with the right hand" myth. He laughed (almost uncontrollably), and told me that he always got the biggest kick out of that story. Unfortunately, the real reasons that he (and many other) officers liked Indians, were:
1. That the clutch was not spring loaded and could be disengaged while leaving it in gear, making it easy to step away from the bike, put both feet down in traffic, and "feather" the clutch in slow traffic.
2. The left hand throttle made it easy to chalk tires...not shoot and ride. He pointed out that in the 20 years he served, he never heard of any officer "shooting" at anyone while chasing them...especially in New York City with bumper to bumper traffic.

He also mentioned that the introduction of the electric start was "a godsend" for the motorcycle cop, and the Indians with the 80" were a real p.i.t.a. to kick start frequently.

I also couldn't find any Harleys from WWII with the shifter on the right; throttle on the left. Here are several that show the shifter on the left indicating a right throttle.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Looks sexy as he'll. Spoke to Dom on Friday. I don't know how I'll fit $550 into my budget, but I will. You can get used to anything. Thanks for posting the great pics.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks sexy as he'll. Spoke to Dom on Friday. I don't know how I'll fit $550 into my budget, but I will. You can get used to anything. Thanks for posting the great pics.
You're going to love it. That extra $50 is the shipping cost, right?

·
Bronze member
1,767 Posts
Terrible idea. Taking a hand off the bars at any time is asking for Murphy to show up. JMHO

1 - 20 of 141 Posts