Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Silver member
5,294 Posts
It is not uncommon for seals to leak on any bike that has been ridden in various conditions. Try and clean your seals with a curved section of a plastic coke bottle or buy the tool. Sometimes bug junk is all it takes to create a minor leak...

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
Yup. A bug wing on the forks is like a serrated knife to that seal. It's important to keep those clean and covered if possible.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,144 Posts
Not too unusual. They go through a lot of abuse. Mine started leaking around 12000 miles. Used that opportunity to have the desks replaced and had them put progressive springs in them at the same time.

·
Bronze member
1,495 Posts
Learned along time ago that after every ride to clean the bug guts off the fork tubes. Once the guts or carcasses dry they can easily go into or stick onto the softer rubber fork seal. The upper scraper part of the seal is no match for dried on bug remains. As others have already posted using a thin plastic piece going down below the seal may clear it out. I have also used a .002” feeler gauge, but you have to be careful. I keep my fork tubes clean, and wipe on a thin coating of Tri-flow oil. After it dries bugs don’t stick as much, so the fork seal scrapers usually can do their job.

·
Bronze member
1,972 Posts
At 20.9K miles, mine haven't leaked.
But when I had my forks inspected at 20K the seals were replaced as well as the slider bushings. The bushings were absolutely worn out (as in total junk) and the original seals were not far behind.

I may add the "Bikers Choice" fork gators next season.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts