Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Rider
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy All!

Does anyone have any experience with the Rifle Classic Windshield for the Indian Scout? I am loving my Sixty, but with colder days and darker nights just around the corner, I'm considering investing in a windshield to potentially extend my already short New England riding season. The prices for some windshield and bracket set-ups approach stratospheric levels, which is why this Rifle at $349.00 complete seems so attractive. Plus, I think it would look very good with my 1920s seat and blacked out factory motor and wheels.

Thoughts appreciated -- thanks!

Attachments

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I had the OEM tall windshield on my Scout and experienced a lot of buffering, something that was shared by many others with the OEM shields. I calmed mine down a fair bit by fitting lowers to the sides of the radiator casting and added a flip piece to the top to throw the air higher. I looked at a lot of windshields in the time I had the Scout but they all seemed to have reports of buffeting. I suspect that the slab design of the Rifle could have the same issue.

One that I was about to buy (but sold the Scout instead) was the Kawasaki Custom Cafe windshield. Somebody on the forum had one and highly recommended it for no buffeting and affordable cost. It's a more sloped back design but still gives good wind protection and the fittings go on the Scout without trouble.

Check out this Kawasaki Windshield, Café, Clear

·
Rider
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the OEM tall windshield on my Scout and experienced a lot of buffering, something that was shared by many others with the OEM shields. I calmed mine down a fair bit by fitting lowers to the sides of the radiator casting and added a flip piece to the top to throw the air higher. I looked at a lot of windshields in the time I had the Scout but they all seemed to have reports of buffeting. I suspect that the slab design of the Rifle could have the same issue.

One that I was about to buy (but sold the Scout instead) was the Kawasaki Custom Cafe windshield. Somebody on the forum had one and highly recommended it for no buffeting and affordable cost. It's a more sloped back design but still gives good wind protection and the fittings go on the Scout without trouble.

Check out this Kawasaki Windshield, Café, Clear
Thanks, Doc! Not at all what I had in mind but will definitely do some additional research on it. Sometimes solutions come in unexpected places. And that price point is VERY attractive ;-)

·
Rider
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SS-34-Phantom.jpg
Actually a molded shaped windshield like the National Cycle Plexifairing or Plexistar works better than a slab shaped windshield. Slipstreamer also makes that type. I had a National Plexifairing II on a 1998 Honda Nighthawk 750 and was very impressed at how it managed airflow to give a low to no buffet ride without creating any handling issues.
Thanks for the info! I couldn't find anything on the NC site that would fit the Scout, but Slipstreamer had the attached SS-34 Phantom that should and it appears to feature that 'molded' design you recommend. Interesting design that might be worth a look.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts