Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Rider
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
LoeoiAM0QmGGicNfne8e8g.jpg

CvDbfmLMQta+cIl80sctqQ.jpg

Just returned from a 9 day trip up to Pagosa Springs to ride the southern Rockies of northern new Mexico and southern Colorado. We trailered my Springfield in the 10' cargo trailer behind our 24' Class C Motorhome. Got a site right on the San Juan River and rode every day.

The first and probably my favorite ride was up and over Wolf Creek Pass and down to South Fork on highway 160. Turned left {west} at South Fork onto 149 and rode up to Creede following the Rio Grande nearly to its headwaters. Rode a nice round trip to Durango from Pagosa Springs the next day. Did some local touring out of Pagosa Springs on a couple of different days. We get up here for at least a week a couple of times every summer and know the area well.

On Thursday morning we did the early commute to Chama to catch the Cumbres Toltec scenic Railway. Left camp at 0645 and it stayed in the mid thirties for most of the 49 mile ride. Riding back late that afternoon was a lot more fun as the temps were in the mid eighties. We rode the Motorcoach from Chama to Antonito and took the train all the way back to Chama. This gave me a great look at highway 17 for future bike rides and it looks awesome!

If you love twisties and sweepers with lots of elevation changes then the southern Rockies are the place to ride. Unfortunately it is a fairly short season - late May through late September unless you like riding in the white stuff.

:):):)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Great area around Pagosa. My wife's family lives there and I have spent a lot of time there during summer and hunting seasons. I'll be there the third week of September for a wedding. I'm planning on riding out so hopefully I don't hit the white stuff. Did you make it to Ouray?

Phil

·
Rider
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have been to and through Ouray several times on the bike. Had a great ride last year from my buddies house in Angel Fire {we left the motorhome and trailer there} and rode up to Creede where we spent the night. The next morning we rode up and over the Continental Divide followed my Slumgullion Pass and ultimately all the way out to Montrose and south to Ouray. From Ouray it was the Million Dollar Highway down to Silverton and riding that road southbound is not for the faint of heart... {but I digress} and on to Durango where we spent the night with friends before returning through Pagosa Springs and back to Angel Fire through Chama and Taos.

;)

·
Founding member
911 Posts
Very nice, Steve. Thanks for sharing. My favorite ride in that area is Tierra Amarilla to Tres Piedras. Gorgeous! You can then either go over the Gorge and into Taos or up to Antonito and back west to Pagosa Springs. Beautiful riding in northern New Mexico and southern Colorado.

·
Rider
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everyone knows of the beauty to be found throughout Colorado but a lot of folks overlook northern New Mexico. Had my best friend not built his dream home in Angel Fire I probably would not be a regular up there as well. Both are full on Rockies and the riding is off the chart amazing/awesome. We are headed up to Angel Fire on Sunday for a week but this trip I will be towing our RZR with my Honda RidgeLine. No need to hump it up there behind the motorhome {at 9 mpg} as he has a guest suite awaiting us that is unbelieveable.

Red Chieftain: You are so right, just riding the Rio Grande Gorge is a hoot and then there is the Enchanted Circle from Angel Fire up to and through Red River where you have got to hit Shotgun Willies for the smoked brisket breakfast burrito smothered in Hatch Green Chile sauce {but I digress}. The new Red River Brewery opened Memorial weekend 2018 and now the Commanche Creek Brewery is also up and running {just north of Eagle's Nest on the road to Red River}. Head on down through Questa to Taos and then back over the pass returning to Angel Fire for a fine 100+ mile loop. While in AF do not miss the Viet Nam Memorial, no matter how many times I return it always blows me away.

This first pic was taken in April of 2018:

IMG_1598.JPG

When he built the house I joked that he needed to put in an RV pad for me {since he had 3 acres at 9,000'}. When I arrived the first time lo and behold there was my custom pad,{note the 30 amp pedestal just right of the coach, he had to trench down 2'+ for 200' to get below the freeze layer} now he says I have no reason not to come up, often, and we do. That's my old folding Kendon bike trailer to the left of the motorhome now replaced by our 10' cargo trailer - traveling with your own private garage is awesome:
IMG_1773.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts