Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on a longish ride with some idiots,,, well, they are buddies, but since I am 10-20 years older than all of them, I am critical of everything they think, say and do.

Due to some pathetic navigation by the Smart Guy who was leading the ride, we ended up lost in the middle of nowhere, and ended up on dirt roads. Yes, we did have GPS, but one of the idiots knew a "short cut that's not on the maps". This was OK for most of them because they were riding sports bikes and adventure bikes. I was the only one on an Indian.

The 8 idiots always ride at a speed somewhere between 200mph and the speed of light, so I always hang out at the rear of the pack where I can set my own pace. Once we hit the dirt this meant I was eating the dust from the other 8 riders, which in itself is not a problem, but unfortunately I was unable to see very well.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I thundered along in the dirt for about 25 miles, probably riding between 35 and 50mph. The surface was loose, gravelled, and had a lot of deep ruts that had been cut by other bands of mindless idiots.

I was mega surprised at how well my Vintage handled it. Apart from one very close call on a sharp gravelled corner (when I drifted way off the actual road - my fault), the bike felt stable and held the road firmly. Now I don't plan on entering any dirt track races, but I am pretty confident the bike can handle the rough stuff when called to do so.

Anyone else riding dirt?

PS - One of the idiots fell off and took out the left hand side of his leathers, much to the joy and applause of the other 8 of us! He bought the beers!

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Sounds like a great time lol Good to know that the Vintage can handle that kind of road :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Motorcycling as God intended it with friends. Keep the muddy side up lol

Reactions: the doctor

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I guess it depends on how much you like your paint. I try to avoid dirt/gravel at all costs. I really don't want to repaint mt Chieftain yet.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Thank you Buley, this is good to know but I will pass on finding out my self. There are some roads here in Colorado that are breath taking then you hit gravel at which point the goal is just to survive.

·
2,052 Posts
Good morning,
Sure, I live on a dirt road and if you want to go anywhere off the well-beaten path in the Big Bend there is likely to be some dirt involved. My Chieftain handles it all well as long as I don't get carried away with the speed. I dumped it once on a muddy caliche road in the rain when my rear wheel slewed into a submerged rut; picked myself and the bike up and went on. Scratches and chips? Well, that's life, I'm a little dinged up myself. These bikes were built to ride and will handle most anything that you throw at them.
--- Randall

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've had my Classic on dirt, gravel, grass and one of the worst things there is (IMO), fine, white, Florida Panhandle dust and sand mix. She just keeps right on trucking'...

·
Registered
419 Posts
I live 1 mile from a paved road, so my road to the pavement is dirt when dry and mud otherwise.
Coming back from Sturgis this year we had 1" of rain just before pulling onto my road.
The bike handled it well, the back tire doing the wiggly thing and it kept my asshole puckered up but we made it

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Chieftain that I purchased in July of this year. My home is 2 miles from the paved road so its a gravel road ride every time my bike takes me out for a cruise or to work. I road street legal dirt bikes as a teenager and more recently started back on bikes with a Suzuki DRZ 400 to get my feet wet after decades of not riding. Then to a 2013 Harley V-rod for a year because I wanted more speed and a highway worthy bike. The V-rod handled very well on the gravel and on the highway but was only comfortable for about an hour then my posterior would get sore. When Indian announced their return I had to get one. My Blue Chieftain handles very well on the gravel but you need to ride it for what it is, an 850# bike when on gravel roads. Haven't seen one paint chip yet with 3000 miles on it. Dusty at times yes, but a 10 minute wash with leaf blower drying and it looks showroom. My advice to those who are shunning the thousands of miles of beautiful dusty back roads of this world is mello out a bit. Whether your bike stays clean or gets a bit dusty and dirty or God forbid a paint chip.....you still end up dead and gone at some point. Take some dusty memories with you!

·
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Tacitus, I wonder whether you could fit some blades underneath the bike and mow your turf as you go.... Please report back when you've mastered it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts