Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Interesting. Just doesn't seem too bright.
Oh. I agree, jerry22. Totally.

But like a lot of things these days, it’s all about image. So many people wring their hands about what others think about them. Side-by-side is probably butch, so they’re on board with it.

·
Bronze member
3,158 Posts
We've always rode that way,ever since high school, didn't know there's any other way.
When your riding in pack,and you come to a turn,the inside guy goes first the outside guy drops in behind.then back to side by side on the straight.
Unless it's a long sweeping turn,then everyone stays together.
Usually the women passengers will take pictures,and hand stuff back and forth.it makes for a great ride.
Unless you don't know the people and how they ride,then they go to the back of the pack.
Some guys like the right side,I personally like the left side.
But I'll take either.

·
Bronze member
1,457 Posts
I used to ride w/my friends that way along time ago. I knew them many yrs, and how they rode. Stuff in the road got avoided, never a problem. Maybe we trusted each other too much, dunno . I won’t ride like that with just any body. On any charity rides we are always staggered -which is safer. Now-a-days anyone can own a big road bike and be an amateur. Used to not be that way. Everybody started out on smaller bikes and traded up. We all learned a lot along the way. BTW the Mc cops in the city where I live ( 7 MC policemen) Ride two to a team and they ride side by side on most city streets. Staggered on freeway. Just seen it a couple days ago. Never really gave it much thought.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The real MC's ride side by side and tight. Been doing it for years and haven't seen many issues. You trust your brothers and if they can't ride well they won't make it through prospecting. Have seen much more nonsense on amateur group rides.

·
Read Only
416 Posts
One of the ideas behind it is to be more visable. When you ride staggered, other drivers may only see one headlight. When you ride side by side, there are two headlights together and it appears as a cage instead of a bike. Most municipalities with motorcycle police teach and ride side by side for this and other reasons. If you really want to see some talented riders, make an effort to watch the Indianapolis Metro Motorcycle Police drill team. They make side by side seem like child's play.

·
Read Only
416 Posts
By the way, I've ridden with a former member of that team. He was side-by-side all the way. I rode with him that way but didn't care for it. It seemed unnatural to me but to him, riding staggered was unnatural. I've got some video of him riding with the team somewhere. I'll post it if I find it.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,092 Posts
Most group rides are staggered for safety. It gives more space between bikes fore and aft and allows each bike the entire lane in case there is road debris or road kill or even a pothole to avoid. Not saying you can't ride side-by-side but there's a lot more room for error riding staggered.

·
Bronze member
3,393 Posts
One of the ideas behind it is to be more visable. When you ride staggered, other drivers may only see one headlight. When you ride side by side, there are two headlights together and it appears as a cage instead of a bike. Most municipalities with motorcycle police teach and ride side by side for this and other reasons. If you really want to see some talented riders, make an effort to watch the Indianapolis Metro Motorcycle Police drill team. They make side by side seem like child's play.
not in my state... riding side by side will get you a ticket faster than anything else..

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
954 Posts
Many of us in the CVMA ride side by side, of course except for the new guys (in the back) most of us have ridden together for many years (12 years with them for me). Combat Vets seem to trust each other, and to us we're not taking any chances. Up until a year ago I've always been the leader, today only about 50-50 as we're grooming our replacements. We usually stretch out on the open road though. Just saying.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts