Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is moving back to Calgary from Merida. He needs help driving back. I was thinking of using the same route to ride back down On the Roadmaster. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Careful, I also lived and worked in Merida at the Cad Embassy in the security cell. Routes and threats are unpredictable, active drug cartels all over, if you're in the wrong.place at the wrong time you're done. Communicate with the embassy and find out what the current threats are and where they're located. Get registered with them as well. They have consulates throughout Mexico that can assist as well. Good luck

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Careful, I also lived and worked in Merida at the Cad Embassy in the security cell. Routes and threats are unpredictable, active drug cartels all over, if you're in the wrong.place at the wrong time you're done. Communicate with the embassy and find out what the current threats are and where they're located. Get registered with them as well. They have consulates throughout Mexico that can assist as well. Good luck
Many thanks. Cheers

·
Registered
58 Posts
Based on conversations I have had with people over the years the only Mexican locations I would feel safe riding to are Cabo San Lucas and Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have friends down there. Mexico has some beautiful areas for riding but the country is having a power grab between drug cartels and the "government". The cartels sometimes ATTACK POLICE AND MILITARY FORCES and WIN... shooting down helicopters etc. Stay far far away, it's not worth it.

·
Bronze member
3,158 Posts
Watch out for the police as well,they get paid from the money they extract from you,as fines that are the amount you have in your pocket.if you look like you have money you are a Target for both sides.my friend had his Harley confiscated by the federal police.probably got flashing lights on it now.

·
Rider
816 Posts
Policia always been on the take tho. Whats new is that the narcos no longer fear being caught. As to the case that @FloridaJeff mentioned, the cartels were violently demanding that the police release a higher-up player in custody. The police DID RELEASE the cartel thug.

Also don't forget the mass murder of those American familys on the road a couple months back.

Damn risky riding right now for rural Mexico imo.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sounds like the majority are saying stay away....LOL

·
Rider
2015 Chieftain
631 Posts
I don't know if any of you remember Roadie, but he would go down to Mexico from Texas a couple of times a year. May have even had a place. He could be one to tell you the do's and don'ts of going to Mexico. However, he has not posted in 7 months and had 8000 posts. Hope everything is going well for him but it does make a person wonder.

Reactions: Bobbybhb
1 - 20 of 52 Posts