Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Silver member
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is just more evidence of the wussification of Steve Sidoti. I have been riding almost 40 years, over a quarter of a million miles, and have only ridden once in the rain. I know, I immediately lose my badass biker card because of that statement. But today, coming home from Cave Creek to my home in Gilbert Arizona, I hit a very hard rain for about 20 miles. It was so hard that my goggles were useless, so I had to take them off and duck down behind my windshield to try to see where I was going. I got behind another vehicle and kept a safe distance, but I just needed somebody to track the lanes for me. When I got home I talked to two of my Oriental friends about this. Wut Da Chit told me I was absolutely crazy for not checking the weather first. Ho Lee Phuc told me I was nuts for being out there among all of the Phoenix drivers who have no clue how to drive in the rain. I have to admit, it was very uncomfortable for me. So there you have it. I am a wuss.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Considering that you live in a fairly rain-free zone, and that you have cultivated relationships with diverse people, you may have your bad ass biker card back after you complete one or more of the following tasks of penance -
- forget to close a saddle bag until you realize you've strewn your gear over 20 miles of highway
-ride when it's so cold you can't feel your hands and you have to pull over and try to warm them by the engine heat
-walk your bike back into a parking space too far and scrape the pipes on a curb

Seriously, my daughter just got her license and we've been riding some parking lot miles and a few short highway rides. She's completed her MSF course. She knows that the next chance we get to ride in the rain we are both going out to practice. Yep, it sucks. But anywhere east of the Mississippi it's a pretty good bet that you will be caught out in the rain at some point. You just hope it's not too much of a frog choker.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Here is just more evidence of the wussification of Steve Sidoti. I have been riding almost 40 years, over a quarter of a million miles, and have only ridden once in the rain. I know, I immediately lose my badass biker card because of that statement. But today, coming home from Cave Creek to my home in Gilbert Arizona, I hit a very hard rain for about 20 miles. It was so hard that my goggles were useless, so I had to take them off and duck down behind my windshield to try to see where I was going. I got behind another vehicle and kept a safe distance, but I just needed somebody to track the lanes for me. When I got home I talked to two of my Oriental friends about this. Wut Da Chit told me I was absolutely crazy for not checking the weather first. Ho Lee Phuc told me I was nuts for being out there among all of the Phoenix drivers who have no clue how to drive in the rain. I have to admit, it was very uncomfortable for me. So there you have it. I am a wuss.
I get stuck in a thunderstorm with ridiciulous amounts of downpoor at least once a year. Last year we had this huuuuge bubble of yellow and red coming across the midwest and I was on my way back to WI from IL. Thought I could beat it. Didn't ride with my helmet because I was doing back roads but it was coming down so fast I didn't trust the roads so I hopped on the interstate with my hazards on. Bike was hydroplaning. My goggles kept filling up with water and I'd have to dump them back out. My bike was sluggish because my intake was SOAKED. Got to my exit, stopped raining instantly. All I had to do was wait an hour.

Rain riding SUCKS. Gunna happen so better to know how to handle it.

Now that I think about it. It's always when I'm on the interstate when I get caught in it, never around town.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
When I took the oral/practical exams for my A&P cert, my only mode of transportation was my bike as I had already shipped my car to Germany. I had to ride from Newport News to Portsmouth in the pouring rain.

Rain gear made it manageable, but it was not fun.

·
Registered
127 Posts
... I have been riding almost 40 years, over a quarter of a million miles, and have only ridden once in the rain. I know, I immediately lose my badass biker card because of that statement. ...
I'd argue you have both common sense and luck. I've been caught in rain plenty of times, and the only reason you have to do that is because you have to be somewhere by some time, or you have a climate where pop up showers are a thing. If you're the type that doesn't mind that ... you probablly have enough experience and gear to withstand that short rain sequence.

If you go out in complete washout conditions, thunderstorms, etc... you either Don't Fear the Reaper, or you could be the next contestant on The Biker Darwinism Show for sure.

Reactions: SSHardball22

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've been caught in bad rain many times and I'm not afraid to admit that I never like it. Visibility sucks, my pucker string draws up really tight when my vision is less than good. On the interstate cars that pass always pull in front of you too soon and spray all over you. I have felt my rear wheel slide on wet curves
Nothing about it is fun but if you ride, you're going to get wet.
By the way, where did you get your bad ass biker card, I don't even know where to sign up!! You're just spoiled because of where you live.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,142 Posts
In 50 years of riding I've been caught in as well as soaked by rain several times. Many times I have had time to pull over and put my rain gear on before the downpour hit. Either way I try and double my following distance and go easy on braking and acceleration. Another thing I do is lean my body more than leaning the bike in curves & corners to keep the bike more upright than usual. I had one storm a couple years ago downpour so hard I couldn't see very far and slowed to about 45 mph on a two lane highway which was pretty scary as I was afraid of getting rear ended. Luckily I rode out of it in a few miles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You wanna try riding in the UK, I think I have only once ridden in the DRY in 40 years!! ;)

It`s not that bad here really, just a bit of fun!
You obviously don't live in Scotland! Sunshine... what's that!? 3 seasons in one day here. ;)

I guess if you get caught out and don't have the rain gear it's not going to be pleasant but properly togged up it's actually ok and can be fun. However, if you're running on Dunflop E3's it would be good to find a better wet weather tyre else it might get scary.

Oh yeah, Did the badass biker card come with the bike cos I didn't get one?

·
Bronze member
1,492 Posts
It seems I'm always putting on rain gear after being wet. You hold off thinking it may be short lived, but no. One year we actually found a place to pull off, bank drive up windows provide a nice carport. We'd wait, sun came out, we head out again, until we caught up with the storm. Kept that up all the way home. Really dumb. When I go for small rides with storms predicated, I head towards the storm, when I meet the rain, I do a U-turn and head home. The worst was riding in Sturgis with hail in the dark with my 13 year old son on the back. No place to stop, no overpasses, nata!

·
Rider
1,004 Posts
I have driven in down pours many times on my trips. When on holidays, I always bring a full face helmet with me. As for riding in the rain, Biggest tip.....get your rain gear on early, don't wait till you are wet.

As long as it's not too cold, I don't mind riding in the rain. It is amazing how well the tires grip the road, I slow down a tad because of visibility

I rode Goldwings for years, and stayed alot drier than I do on my Roadmaster. Roadmaster does not have alot of protection from getting wet.

--
Gordon

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the though pattern that I want to experience the elements as much as I can because I don't fell at all comfortable because of lack of experience in the elements. I will get caught in the elements an I want to be as ready as possible.i live in middle Tennessee.

·
Bronze member
1,220 Posts
Don’t care who you are RAIN sux when your riding a bike. I rode from Cleveland Ohio to Bangor Maine in the rain. That trip sucked big time. I have also pulled over under an overpass when it got so bad I couldn’t see The only time I have enjoyed rain was riding out west, temps above 90 asphalt temps way up rain was a brief relief from the heat. Just always ride within your comfort zone. No shame in sitting under an overpass or wearing a rain suit.

·
Registered
820 Posts
In May 2019, myself and two coworkers left SoCal and set out on a 10 day, 4600 mile ride to Utah, South Dakota, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming and Nevada. The ride through Wyoming was pouring rain from Casper to South Dakota. As we headed up to Deadwood it started snowing. Couldn’t stop, probably the scariest and most stupid shit I ever did on a bike. The longest 7 miles I ever rode. Who knew it was going to be in the low 30’s and snow in mid May......

·
Registered
64 Posts
Riding in the rain is inevitable if you're out eating up the miles. I don't like riding in the rain, but I don't hate it enough to avoid at all cost. The worst is when the rain turns into snow. If you think rain on the road is slippery, when it turns to snow its an other worldly pucker. And sometimes waiting it out is not an option. It just piles up more.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts