Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have been looking at the Vintage for awhile now and as everyone knows a test drive usually does not tell you much. Would like to hear from some riders that are my size on how the handlebars and seat works out.

Being that the seat I would never go aftermarket cause of the looks would like to know the actual comfort feedback.

On another note I would like to hear on how the leather holds up, I believe that I read some complaints on the 14 models that the leather easily bleached out. Are the later models better? Will the leather stand up to rain w/o any issues?

Servicing, do most folks do there own service? Asking about drive belt adjustment etc? I'm coming from a RK and have done all my own services for years and was wondering how it compared to the Chief.

TIA

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for the info, yeah the RK stock bars and seat are a sin! I had the Mustang solo and Wild One 515 mini apes that fit great perhaps that may a answer if I could find a comp

·
Founding member
958 Posts
I have the Classic with the Kuryakyn floorboard lowering kit. Without the front crashbars. You can lower and move forward floorboards 1.5 inches. A must for tall riders. I'm 6'3" @ 220# and also have the factory beach bars. Seems like a perfect fit to me. There are better aftermarket seats. But mine is stock with a gel pad on it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
6'6" 34 inseam... I'm lucky that I liked and went with the Vintage because I later rode the RM during Indian's traveling show and noticed the difference... felt cramped on RM but Vintage is OK, which is great considering my size. Vintage also feels much better than the Harley Street Bob I had previously.

A year later on the 2015 Vintage and the leather looks brand new... I do keep it in garage, and half covered when outside at work, and keep it conditioned.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm that size (6'4, 32 inseam, 275#) and got a dark horse. Bike is damn near perfect for me. I couldn't fit comfortably on any STOCK hd. That being said I just added 16" bars and thinking about trying another seat to move me back another 1.5, But I could have ridden this bike forever completely stock.
Hey man, Thanks for posting this - I just bought a mustang wide touring seat that is supposed to sit me back and 1.5 inches I'll be sure to post up on how I like it when it arrives! I agree I'm only 6'1 and the darkhorse feels comfortable but the seat could be a few inches further to the rear for me. Nice post

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I'm a 'shorty' amongst you at 6.2", 30inch, 210lb. When I ride my Vintage, I remove wind screen (never use them). I found standard handlebar comfortable (more so than beach bar). I usually ride with my heels perched at the front edge of the floorboards, with my toes pointing outwards to avoid crash bar.

So, I could do with more leg room but it is very comfortable.

As for the saddle fade... as far as I know, there were 3 versions of leather. V1 were 2014 tan leathers you mentioned.

Then v2 were the plastic looking slightly lighter colour tan leather.

Then v3 tan leather is what's on today's bikes. Also on some 2015 bikes. They look like leather. Not as pretty as 2014 (before fading) but much nicer than 2015 'plastic' leather.

As for fade, I had professional UV leather protection done on it and it has wore-in in a nice way over the past 12 months. It shows character. I did no maintenance in between.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi,
I have been looking at the Vintage for awhile now and as everyone knows a test drive usually does not tell you much. Would like to hear from some riders that are my size on how the handlebars and seat works out.

Being that the seat I would never go aftermarket cause of the looks would like to know the actual comfort feedback.

On another note I would like to hear on how the leather holds up, I believe that I read some complaints on the 14 models that the leather easily bleached out. Are the later models better? Will the leather stand up to rain w/o any issues?

Servicing, do most folks do there own service? Asking about drive belt adjustment etc? I'm coming from a RK and have done all my own services for years and was wondering how it compared to the Chief.

TIA
Find an Eagle Rider shop and rent one for a day or two.

·
Super Moderator
4,961 Posts
Hi,

TIA
I'm 6'2", 32" in-seam and weighing in at 240lbs. I must say that #37 fits me like a glove. The only thing I would/may change in the future are the handle bars, my arms are almost fully extended with little bend at my elbows.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I'm 6'1", 225 lbs with a 36 inseam. arms and handlebars are just right. My long legs can get cramped (feel like my knees are too high, but I tried riding my brothers H-D FLHTCIJKLMNOP and it felt like getting on a little bike. My arms and torso felt like I was more crammed on the bike. The leg position may be slightly more comfortable for me....but I won't go back with what they offer right now.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
6'2" and 280, 32 inseam. 2016 Dark Horse. My bike comes with fake leather seat. I switched out to Mustang for added room, it moves me back a bit. Very compfy and real leather. Everything else is perfect. I have a service manual and do my own service.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm 6'1", 225 lbs with a 36 inseam. arms and handlebars are just right. My long legs can get cramped (feel like my knees are too high, but I tried riding my brothers H-D FLHTCIJKLMNOP and it felt like getting on a little bike. My arms and torso felt like I was more crammed on the bike. The leg position may be slightly more comfortable for me....but I won't go back with what they offer right now.
Almost spit my coffee out reading the H-D model you put down HA!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had one of those LMNOP's I had the floorboard lowering kits and a big touring seat and was very comfortable. I'm 6'5" with a 34" inseam at 350. My knees were above my butt and I'd get a pain in my ass on my 2015 RoadMaster.
I just put the Aeromach 3026 FB relocation kit on. It feels better in the driveway but I'll know more tomorrow

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm 6'4 with a 36" inseam. I was a little cramped with my feed on the boards. I just put a corbin seat on, which put me back about 2", and up maybe 1.5". Very comfortable now, but I'm going to have to get new highway pegs and handlebars. I can't even get my heels past the ends of the boards now.

·
Registered
638 Posts
6"4 34" inseam. Stock seat as far back as the bolt tabs allow and added a medium airhawk (forward to level the stock seat crater) and 2xlg alaska leather long hair sheepskin to cover the airhawk and move me back 1-2 inches. Sits me 1.5-2" higher and opens up the hip angles while lowering the knees. First time comfortable on the floorboards all day. In the summer I use the highway bar pegs and that is great.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had one of those LMNOP's I had the floorboard lowering kits and a big touring seat and was very comfortable. I'm 6'5" with a 34" inseam at 350. My knees were above my butt and I'd get a pain in my ass on my 2015 RoadMaster.
I just put the Aeromach 3026 FB relocation kit on. It feels better in the driveway but I'll know more tomorrow
Would like to hear if it helped, I have 34" inseam and knees hurt after a while on Roadmaster. I will have to move floorboards or/and seat.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Would like to hear if it helped, I have 34" inseam and knees hurt after a while on Roadmaster. I will have to move floorboards or/and seat.
I road it today about 15 miles. I noticed right away that it was better. I'll know more tomorrow after my 400 mile burger run.

·
Gold member
6,463 Posts
Why don't you tall guys go play some 'B' ball.im a shorty at 5'11" But....wait for it I'm 6'2" with my helmet on! Let's play ball. I'll be the forward with my helmet on shooting 3 pointers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm 6'2" 400 lbs vintage hauls my father assume around no problem I did rotate the handlebars up and it rides nice also I adjusted the rear shock. Only problem is the turbulence coming off of the windshield hits me right in the eyes I have ordered a recurve windshield and hopefully that will take care if the turbulence

1 - 20 of 44 Posts