Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was really disappointed that Indian didn't fix the MFD issue with their 2015 models. It might as well not be there when riding in daylight, especially when you have sunglasses on.
The MFD provides not only "convenience" information, it also provides "safety" information, like tire pressure and trip miles (important to estimate your next fuel stop). From a safety perspective, when I'm leaning close to the MFD, trying to see the "data," I'm not focused on the road. This is a REAL safety concern.
With the daylight friendly color displays that have been readily available for at least three years, it's a mystery why Indian chose an old-fashioned, out of date, red backlit display for their MFD. In the big picture, it wouldn't have added much to the sale price of the bike to include a decent color display.
I'm really amazed that everyone isn't raising Hell about this issue and can only hope that when Indian fixes it, that it will be backward compatible.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I noticed that while riding in FL last week. Especially if you are wearing a bright safety orange Tee shirt, it is almost impossible to see. The chrome on tank is a bit much, at the right angle when the sun hits it OY! hard to see.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If you are wearing polarized sunglasses...you will have issues. Standard, decent riding glasses.... No issues or that has been my experience anyway.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wear polarized sunglasses and don't find them a problem. I set the MFD to max brightness and have very little problem reading the display. I notice that in the right light the display seems to reverse color, which makes it easier to see.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I dont mean to be negative

But I dont consider them Real Safety concerns.

You have an warning light that comes on if the tire pressure gets too low, you have an fuel guage.

I would try adjusting the brightness or maybe different sun glasses till you find the right combo

·
Founding member
564 Posts
The safety concern is when you are bending down to try and read the display when the guy in front of you hits the brakes. It's going to take a while, but I'm going to have to train myself to stop even trying to look at it.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,112 Posts
I agree that it is a nuisance that should never have made it to production, but I wouldn't categorize it as a safety concern. Important information is clearly visable with the speedometer, tac, and fuel gauge. Even the fuel gauge is more of a "nice to have" vice a "real safety concern" since we also have a low fuel light.

I'm in the aviation acquistion business and the first question that is asked about any digital display is "is it readable in direct sunlight". I'm not sure why Indian let this one get by but they failed acquisition 101 for the display. Of course they were HIGHLY sucessful is most of the other REALLY important areas so I'm good with it :cool:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Riding in the desert, I have had the display whiteout due to heat and direct sunlight. Nothing readable. Polaris was made aware of this during my trip in June. Zero follow up since then by them. The display is a bit weak, in my opinion, and with normal sunglasses, I have difficulty reading it while riding during high day light hours here in Kalifornia so I ignore it. None of my other bikes ever had this on it so I simply don't depend my life or riding abilities on it just as I don't on my other machines. If it is a distraction as I am riding, it is my responsibility as the rider to ignore it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts