Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
My dad, rest his soul, gave me my love of motorcycles. He got his love of them from his dad. Very nice article. My dad's love of motorcycles began with a WW2 surplus Indian. One night he fell asleep while riding his bike. He woke up in a shower of sparks. When the bike stopped, my dad had broken his shoulder.
As a teenager, my dad would borrow my Honda CB160. He would disappear for 5 or 6 hours, and he always came home with a smile on his face.
My dad past away before he saw my new Indian Chief Dark Horse, but I feel him with me every time I ride. A lady ran me off the road in her car. I broke my shoulder in the accident. Like father, like son.
I put this on the back of my sissy bar...

I love him, and I miss him every day!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
I would like to thank you for posting that story. My father and I shared a love for motorcycles and snowmobiles that in many ways relate closely to this story. It brings back some great memories. Again, thanks for posting the story, it made my day a little brighter.

Reactions: Chief Signguru

·
Rider
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My own father always thought motorcycles were pointless and was amused but puzzled by my attraction. My son hates them. My younger brother used to ride, but decades ago he was sideswiped by a car changing lanes. Car kept going, he was knocked down, and slid across the double yellow line in front of an oncoming tractor trailer. The truck stopped inches short of him and his bike. He swears that while standing their he heard a clear deep voice from behind him say “You will not walk away from the next one”. Of course when he turned around no one was there. He hasn’t ridden a motorcycle since.

But still, an excellent father-son-motorcycle story from Reader’s Digest.

·
Bronze Member
2,382 Posts
My dad got his first bike, a 250 Zundapp which I first learned to ride on. I would love to still have it today.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I also got my love of motorcycles from my dad. He bought his first motorcycle, a 46 HD Knucklehead when he was 16. He bought it from a car dealer in the small town he lived in. At that time he said there was only one guy in town that rode a Indian motorcycle so the dealer called him to take my dad on a ride to show him how to ride it. I like hearing his stories about that bike. My dad is 77now, he isn’t able to ride anymore, but has rode with me on mine.

·
Rider
360 Posts
Strangely enough, my dad liked motorcycles but never really rode one until he was in his 60s, and then a honda 80 cc scooter, which he loved roding. He was scared off riding as a very young man when he was encouraged to try and kick start an old HD. e(He was a big man for his generation and strong as an ox) He was thrown over the bars and was scared the rest of his life. But he still liked the IDEA pf motorcycles! When I was 17, he took me into a Suzuki dealership across town and we looked at a new 185, (I think) twin cylinder Suzuki. But my mom stopped that Idea! But like I said, he picked up a Honda scooter in his retirement years and rode that all over town. One day, some older fellas teased him about riding it and he was hurt by that but he still rode it some. I told him to tell them fellas "piss off" cause it's still riding and I'll bet these turds didn't ride at all. And he always was interested in my bikes. I'd bring home an old, beat up Triumph and take it to pieces to rebuild and paint it and he'd stand there, shake his head and say "I hope you know how to put that thing back together!" I didn't think abiut it then but he was very patient with me. After all, it took up half the floor in our small bicycle shop that we ran together!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts