Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve always ridden on my bike alongside my husband which I truely enjoy. Lately he’s been tied up with a project preventing him from riding during the weekdays hating to waste the gorgeous sunny days would you venture out on your own?

I’m sooo wanting to but think about all the unsafe crap out there has me wondering.

Please share your thoughts, opinions, etc.

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
If you're still fairly new, I'd pick up
A SENA, they make one for a half helmets as well if that's your riding style.
This way you can stay in contact with him/ or someone on the phone in case of emergency.

When I first started riding it gave me peace of mind in case I went down.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If your still fairly new, I'd pick up
A SENA, they make one for a half helmets as well if that's your riding style.
This way you can stay in contact with him/ or someone on the phone in case of emergency.

When I first started riding it gave me peace of mind in case I went down.
May I ask what is a Sena?

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
May I ask what is a Sena?
It's a Bluetooth headset that has speakers & a microphone inside the helmet that ties to your phone. Also acts as an integration system between other SENA's. Love ours for playing music, & talking to each other whether we are riding together or not

I don't use that big microphone that's in the video, it comes with a small one that attached inside the helmet by your mouth

·
Senior member / gold
6,413 Posts
If you go to Meetup and search for riding groups in your area. I live in South Florida and ride with 2 different groups on Meetup. One group makes longer day rides, and the other group does short rides, usually culminating in a meal at a nice restaurant.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I ride alone when hubby isn't free. normally just quick rides to get out or errands. I have taken a solo trip to a woman rider weekend in florida once (i live in georgia just outside of Atlanta), and also rode from Virginia back home alone. my grown kiddos live in michigan and I've wanted to take the bike up there. I prefer to ride with him, but don't mind riding alone either. I just make sure i let him know where I'm headed, and whenever I stop, I give him a call or text to let him know where I am just incase something happens, he knows my whereabouts.

·
Super Moderator
10,924 Posts
Julie and I have gotten separated twice on road trips. Both had “unsavory” results for her. In one she got sexually harassed by a punch of punk college kids making lewd suggestions as they were creeping (no pun) thru a construction zone (Provo, UT). In the other (this summer) she had a trucker aggressively trying to get her to pull over (reason unknown / possibly innocent, but my guard hairs say not) Asheville, NC

Suggestions:

- use “find my friends” app and make sure your hubby has his on when you’re out solo

- use a SENA or equivalent to quickly dial 911 hands-free. Call early — don’t wait for the threat to escalate (as the jogger in Iowa tragically found out). She hesitated, had her phone out, and threatened to call the cops. She was chased down and killed before she could make the call.

Quickly and clearly give your location first. That’s the most important information — help won’t get there if they don’t know where you are. These lines are taped, and even if the cell reception is bad, they can replay the tape until they get it.

- get a CCW permit and get comfortable with the gun. Pre-think how/ when you would use it. Make sure it’s readily accessible on your person - not the bike.

- always have an out. Actively scan for an exit from any situation. Eg In the construction zone scenario, pull over and enter the construction zone. Contact the workers. They have cell phones and would probly kick those kids’ ass to protect a damsel in distress. Unlikely that the harassers would follow.
- pre-think your responses. Sexual harassment? How would you respond? The trucker scenario? (Julie sped up, slowed down etc and he matched.) Eventually she encountered a clump of vehicles and sped up thru them, weaving lanes and thereby effectively blocking the trucker. Put distance and/ or obstacles between you and the threat.

- know the location of police, highway patrol, and sheriff offices and substations on your route. Pulling into one of those locations will peel off almost any attacker.

- remember that gas stations and convenience stores are your friends. Pull into one of them and you have safety resources immediately available (CCT’s, landline phones, witnesses, good lighting)

The trick is not be overly paranoid, but not to be naive either. Be mentally prepared and have a plan— common sense stuff.

Good luck and ride safe!

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post this. I will check it out.
Check EBay as well, can usually find great deals on the SENA's. Personally can't ride without some good tunz, audiobook, or sermon.

Good luck & let us all know how the first venture out goes.

·
Senior member / gold
6,413 Posts
It is a shame that we have to think badly about the bulk of humanity because of a few douchebags and perverts, but @HINK is absolutely right. You cannot rely on 911 to get you out of trouble, you must be proactive. A concealed weapons permit is as proactive as it gets. A few well placed Second Amendment and NRA patches on your jacket or vest will go a long way in keeping you safe also. A hunter/sicko will look for weakness. If they even think you "might" be packing, they will probably move on to the next target.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What’s the issue? I do 98% of rides alone. My 60 is my daily driver. I have friends who have their SO ride a bunch to make sure they’re alert and can handle the road alone before they ride together. Takes a bit more alertness to ride with another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Gold member
6,421 Posts
I’ve always ridden on my bike alongside my husband which I truely enjoy. Lately he’s been tied up with a project preventing him from riding during the weekdays hating to waste the gorgeous sunny days would you venture out on your own?

I’m sooo wanting to but think about all the unsafe crap out there has me wondering.

Pretend your husband is there, take a picture with you! Tell him each and every time where your going and how long you’ll wanna be out! My friend was doing a similar project and now they’re divorced. lol & Jez kiddin. Do a walk around B4 leaving make sure you have your cell phone and grab a bottle of your favorite H2O. Maybe you have a gf that’ll ride with you or follow in a car??? Or find a col de sac and drive in circles. Jez kiddin again! But go for it, those feelings will soon pass. Now the big question; are girl guide cookies made from real girl guides? Ride safe n often. Next time when you ride with your husband (lead).

·
Senior member / gold
6,413 Posts
What’s the issue? I do 98% of rides alone. My 60 is my daily driver. I have friends who have their SO ride a bunch to make sure they’re alert and can handle the road alone before they ride together. Takes a bit more alertness to ride with another.

The issue is that certain men see a solitary female riding a motorcycle, and they see a target for harassment, or worse. There is safety and strength in numbers.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The issue is that certain men see a solitary female riding a motorcycle, and they see a target for harassment, or worse. There is safety and strength in numbers.

Oh wow. Thanks for letting me know. I didn’t know that. That makes me sad.

·
Senior member / gold
6,413 Posts
A "Heads-Up" for all that ride solo...
Always be aware of your surroundings. Safety is a proactive experience. If it doesn't look safe or feel safe, it probably isn't safe. Get out of there!!!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,799 Posts

I know a lady that rides all over the country.. no issues. But.. if you worried about it... you probably shouldn't. Sounds like your personality may be holding you back. Just don't put yourself in a bad situation; you'll be fine

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
QUOTE="rickkcir, post: 2809296, member: 460"]I know a lady that rides all over the country.. no issues. But.. if you worried about it... you probably shouldn't. Sounds like your personality may be holding you back. Just don't put yourself in a bad situation; you'll be fine[/QUOTE]

Maybe not the personality but I’m 5’ 100lbs soaking wet! But I do have one of these LOL!

7FC8DDBA-2C98-4544-87BA-9E7F5DF64381.jpeg

1 - 20 of 93 Posts