Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the day of reckoning has definitely arrived fir me. All my life I have been a hard physical worker and played some contact sports as well.

I'm 59 y/o last February. I have long known my hips were shot. Last July after taking 100mg DAILY of Hydrocodone for 10 straight years, I quit cold turkey. It's not that I no longer needed them for pain, but I found myself taking more and more just to have a little less pain.

Quitting was physically difficult but I am very strong willed. Some may even say Im stubborn. Lol! My family teases me by saying "don't give Darren a bone that you may want back someday, because once he has his teeth in something, your not getting it back.

This can be a bad trait if you dont know when to give in. I like to think I usually know when to give up something.

Anyway, this past winter was very hard on my hips. After 2 straight days without sleep, I saw my ortho guy today. Yesterday, I tried to mount my RM from the left. I couldn't bare weight and pivot on my left leg. I mounted from the right which is dangerous ESPECIALLY when the bike is already leaning with a substantial incline in the driveway to its right (bike was sideways in driveway).

Very difficult to upright the bike and I'm pretty strong.

I've finally come to the conclusion I cannot wait much longer to have both hips replaced. I've been fighting it all winter as I lost last years riding season when I had my torn rotator cuff surgery.

I really wish I had waited to by my Indian. Maybe next year they'll release the new watercooled Indians. Im in way to deep on accessories and upgrades to even consider trading or selling outright so that is not an option.

Are there any other forum members that have had particularly LEFT hip replacement? How long post surgery before you could ride again?

I have to eventually have the right replace as well but we put much less stress on the right vs the left getting on and off a bike.

·
Bronze Member
2,015 Posts
I was in the same boat as you ten years ago (age 61). My left hip was totally shot and I kept putting it off and off til I couldn't stand it anymore. After the
operation you will be hurting big time for a week or so and then it gets better slowly each day. My biggest suggestion is that you follow what the physical
rehab people say to the letter and I can't say that enough. Best of luck.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Doc said I will only be in a day. PT will be sent to my house. He said recovery is much shorter than rotator cuff. Thats still not 100% a year later. Mine was a very old tear from my days playing Legion Baseball as a left handed Pitcher.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was in the same boat as you ten years ago (age 61). My left hip was totally shot and I kept putting it off and off til I couldn't stand it anymore. After the
operation you will be hurting big time for a week or so and then it gets better slowly each day. My biggest suggestion is that you follow what the physical
rehab people say to the letter and I can't say that enough. Best of luck.
How long before you could swing a leg over your motorcycle without discomfort?

·
Bronze member
1,903 Posts
I had my first total knee replacement done 4/29/18 and rode in 2 months. ( left). Had my right one done 1/15/2019 and rode in 6 weeks. I think I did well. Ive talked to many people that had both knee and hip surgery and all said knee was the worst. Good luck, BTW Im 65.

·
Rider
724 Posts
Well, the day of reckoning has definitely arrived fir me. All my life I have been a hard physical worker and played some contact sports as well.

I'm 59 y/o last February. I have long known my hips were shot. Last July after taking 100mg DAILY of Hydrocodone for 10 straight years, I quit cold turkey. It's not that I no longer needed them for pain, but I found myself taking more and more just to have a little less pain.

Quitting was physically difficult but I am very strong willed. Some may even say Im stubborn. Lol! My family teases me by saying "don't give Darren a bone that you may want back someday, because once he has his teeth in something, your not getting it back.

This can be a bad trait if you dont know when to give in. I like to think I usually know when to give up something.

Anyway, this past winter was very hard on my hips. After 2 straight days without sleep, I saw my ortho guy today. Yesterday, I tried to mount my RM from the left. I couldn't bare weight and pivot on my left leg. I mounted from the right which is dangerous ESPECIALLY when the bike is already leaning with a substantial incline in the driveway to its right (bike was sideways in driveway).

Very difficult to upright the bike and I'm pretty strong.

I've finally come to the conclusion I cannot wait much longer to have both hips replaced. I've been fighting it all winter as I lost last years riding season when I had my torn rotator cuff surgery.

I really wish I had waited to by my Indian. Maybe next year they'll release the new watercooled Indians. Im in way to deep on accessories and upgrades to even consider trading or selling outright so that is not an option.

Are there any other forum members that have had particularly LEFT hip replacement? How long post surgery before you could ride again?

I have to eventually have the right replace as well but we put much less stress on the right vs the left getting on and off a bike.
I was a bit worried when I first got my RM......I have no cartilage left in my right knee....I don't do stairs very well with it, and ladders are out of the question. But so far, I have had zero issues pushing this RM around. I am careful about how I park it, I am always facing OUT of a parking stall so I don't have to push. 5200 miles and counting. :D

·
Senior member / gold
6,241 Posts
My Ortho doctor wants to do a double knee replacement on me, but at 65 my seat time is drawing nigh. I can still throw a leg over her and balance her, so, between the painkillers and the Flexall ointment, I can probably make it until I am too old to ride. You are still a youngster, so my vote is to "Go For It!"
WE'RE ALL BEHIND YOU! You don't want to risk that monster falling on you.

·
Registered
154 Posts
At 66, my right hip was so painful that I couldn’t throw my leg over the seat. Had it replaced and was riding my Chieftain in less than 2 months.
I’m 68 now and I can back her up no problem. I work out everyday.
My advice is to have it done during winter and you will be riding in early spring.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,005 Posts
Howdy @17NDNSTL ,
I broke my left hip and femur while test-riding a customer's Norton Commando and an old lady turned left in front of me. After 10 years and several surgeries the ball of the hip totally collapsed and an artificial hip was installed. I was on crutches for about 6 weeks but was able to ride my BMW sidecar outfit about 3 weeks after surgery. It seemed like after I started riding again I got better much faster, I think it had something to do with vibration of the machine and the constant micro-flexing of muscles involved in riding. The sidecar meant I didn't have to put weight on the hip but riding and getting on and off the bike helped immensely with limbering up and getting as much range of motion back as possible. I did not start riding my solo bike until about 3 months after surgery; having the sidecar rig was a huge help with this.

The Doc said that as I was relatively young at 40 I could expect to wear the hip out and would most likely require at least one replacement. He suggested that I should find a job where I didn't have to lift or push and could sit when I needed to. He also said good insurance would be a wonderful idea. This led me to selling my motorcycle shop and beginning a 25-year career as a high school shop teacher ("Here boy, pick this up and put it over there."). I continued riding motorcycles as my main mode of transportation but avoided putting too much weight on the left leg up to the point of falling over to the left a few times. I'm a big guy and pretty strong so figured I'd rather back up to the bike and work it upright using my right leg rather than risk messing up the left hip. About 8 years ago, despite favoring it, the artificial hip came apart and I had to have it redone. This was a lot more complicated than the original surgery, made more so when I contracted a bone infection and had to have it redone then spend two months in the hospital getting rid of the infection. Thank God for the school insurance.

Pretty much the same interval of crutches, sidecar driving, and returning to solo machines followed. Again, I seemed to improve much faster when I resumed riding. I studiously avoid heavy lifting and while I can walk I can no longer hike over rough country as I could in my youth. The most strenuous thing I do is ride my bikes and they are all now set up with electric starters, even my Knucklehead bob-job. Chieftain #873 is fitted with tip-over bars front and rear, so when I do occasionally tip over the bike sits at a 45 degree angle and I can pick it up if have to; if there is anyone around I ask for help, I' not proud.

Some folks think I'm foolish for continuing to ride, given I'm 66 and there's a strong chance if I break the hip I'll be back on crutches from there on out. I asked the bone Doc about riding and, surprisingly, he said, "I don't see a problem with it, though it would be a disaster if you crashed again." (Yeah, no sh*t Doc.) I can only say that, now, when I'm riding I feel most like myself. I may be old, paunchy, and gimpy, but on my bike I am poetry in motion.
--- Randall

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was an inspiring and uplifting story @Randall.

I am really sweating this. Its why I have delayed it as long as possible. The other night trying to get the bike in the garage was very sobering.

Thanks again Randall.

Darren

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Ortho doctor wants to do a double knee replacement on me, but at 65 my seat time is drawing nigh. I can still throw a leg over her and balance her, so, between the painkillers and the Flexall ointment, I can probably make it until I am too old to ride. You are still a youngster, so my vote is to "Go For It!"
WE'RE ALL BEHIND YOU! You don't want to risk that monster falling on you.
Thanks Chief. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At 66, my right hip was so painful that I couldn’t throw my leg over the seat. Had it replaced and was riding my Chieftain in less than 2 months.
I’m 68 now and I can back her up no problem. I work out everyday.
My advice is to have it done during winter and you will be riding in early spring.
Unfortunately I'm sure I cannot make it until then. Doc wants me to drop 75lbs in 90 days. Two summers ago, I dropped 80lbs in 100 days through diet and walking (fast) 6 miles per day every day.
That was back when I was eating pain pills like I needed a Pez dispenser for them.
This tine I have little to mask the pain.

·
Senior member / gold
6,241 Posts
Unfortunately I'm sure I cannot make it until then. Doc wants me to drop 75lbs in 90 days. Two summers ago, I dropped 80lbs in 100 days through diet and walking (fast) 6 miles per day every day.
That was back when I was eating pain pills like I needed a Pez dispenser for them.
This tine I have little to mask the pain.
Once you get the opiates clean from your system, you might be able to start fresh, with the painkillers once more becoming effective again, until your surgery date.
I lost about 150lbs, but I had a radical gastric bypass. You can do it!!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had my first total knee replacement done 4/29/18 and rode in 2 months. ( left). Had my right one done 1/15/2019 and rode in 6 weeks. I think I did well. Ive talked to many people that had both knee and hip surgery and all said knee was the worst. Good luck, BTW Im 65.
Wow you did really well, I had a partial Rt knee replaced February 11 this year, I was really doing great and expected to be riding any day HOWEVER I was hitting my exercises really hard and not really sure what I did wrong but I feel worse than what I did after 3 weeks and back using a cane. I think I twisted it very discouraging. Taking some heavy duty drugs to make it through the day just hope things improve soon since I was thinking of trading my chieftain for a Roadmaster. I might add that I’m 74 which sounds old but most guys I ride with think I’m 60 or so I think I’m 35 but it ain’t happening.

·
Bronze member
1,903 Posts
Wow you did really well, I had a partial Rt knee replaced February 11 this year, I was really doing great and expected to be riding any day HOWEVER I was hitting my exercises really hard and not really sure what I did wrong but I feel worse than what I did after 3 weeks and back using a cane. I think I twisted it very discouraging. Taking some heavy duty drugs to make it through the day just hope things improve soon since I was thinking of trading my chieftain for a Roadmaster.
Damn wish you the best. I know what pain comes with this.Ive always been a very active person and Doc said I would recover well , guess he was right.Good Luck!

·
Registered
853 Posts
A friend of mine had both hips replaced at 64 years old and he rides his HD Ultra all the time. He said he still has a little trouble if he does over 400 miles in a day but overall he is good. Best of luck to you in your replacement and recovery.

·
Registered
50 Posts
On Nov. 20th 2018 I had total knee replacement on both knee's. I'm 59. It was pure hell for 2 month's. I have 99% range of movement. My knees work well with no pain but are very tight and uncomfortable. At 2 month's I could have rode motorcycle my knee's were much stronger and very stable. But my balance may not have been to good until maybe 3 months. Now at 5 month's plus I am finally sleeping through the night. Every day I get better. Recovery seemed slow to me. The surgeon and the girls at rehab both were very impressed with my recovery. It was just a lot more than I was prepared for. I finally don't think it was the biggest mistake in my life. My wife is right when she says I don't remember the terrible pain and how miserable I was prior to surgery. Good luck and try to be realistic during recovery.

·
Registered
254 Posts
On Nov. 20th 2018 I had total knee replacement on both knee's. I'm 59. It was pure hell for 2 month's. I have 99% range of movement. My knees work well with no pain but are very tight and uncomfortable. At 2 month's I could have rode motorcycle my knee's were much stronger and very stable. But my balance may not have been to good until maybe 3 months. Now at 5 month's plus I am finally sleeping through the night. Every day I get better. Recovery seemed slow to me. The surgeon and the girls at rehab both were very impressed with my recovery. It was just a lot more than I was prepared for. I finally don't think it was the biggest mistake in my life. My wife is right when she says I don't remember the terrible pain and how miserable I was prior to surgery. Good luck and try to be realistic during recovery.
I’ve talked to alot of guys who went through it most said 3 months was the big turn around for them got almost 3 weeks for that so I’m kinda backing off a little, therapy said I was way ahead of the game before I over did it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts