Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Rider Reviews

3508 Views 19 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  CPTKILLER
After putting 2,000 miles on my springfield i have some things i love and some things i would change... I love the feel when dipping into a bend and the throttle response.I enjoy the look and style of the bike and over all fit and finish. the things i do not like are the turn signal indicator left or right turn flashes on dash like 4 ways,the driver backrest should be standard i also feel as if the headlights should be LED since everything else is LED stock.. What are some of your feed backs?
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Cruiser
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,357 Posts
It sounds like the important things are covered and a couple can be fixed with some money.....isn't the turn signal where all of them are on the left thumb? A lot of non harleys have one switch but coming from harleys you keep trying to turn the right single on with your right thumb....I get that!

· Registered
48 Posts
I think he means that when you have either indicator on the dash light blinks all four of the little arrows. They should be separated so you know which side you have on. If you have the hazards on then you should see all four.

· Registered
327 Posts
I like how the smaller lights are LED, and I agree with you that I'd like the headlight to be LED, also. I don't know if there's a reason for not being LED...better I search the forum to learn how folks have done this mod conversion since 2014.

· Registered
477 Posts
I am approaching the 500 mile mark on my Springfield. I am a newbie to motorcycling (a 2015 Indian Scout broke my cherry) so my comments probably have limited value:

• I love this machine. I put stage 2 cams, big air filter, and stage 1 exhaust on her along with the stereo system. I am happy with each of those upgrades.
  • Turn signal indicators are identical to the one on the Scout. It simply lights up - sometimes simplicity is best IMO.
  • It feels like a Cadillac as compared to the Scout (no more sore tailbones) - I could ride her all day long.
  • Corners well - although it is quite large size-wise compared to the Scout I really do not notice any difference in the corners.
  • Does not feel like a 800# bike - it feels much lighter (the Scout also feels much lighter than a 500# bike by-the-way).
  • It oozes power - the Scout is more nimble and quick - but the Springfield feels much more powerful (sort of reminds me of Sonny Liston :))

Ride hard - ride safe!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had to take mine in to get fixed the wires for the warbonnet got pinched in the steering stop somehow and shorted... got it back no issues since, just a heads up maybe look up inside your trees and make sure it's not a common issue and i was just the unlucky.

· Registered
2,846 Posts
I am approaching the 500 mile mark on my Springfield. I am a newbie to motorcycling (a 2015 Indian Scout broke my cherry) so my comments probably have limited value:

• I love this machine. I put stage 2 cams, big air filter, and stage 1 exhaust on her along with the stereo system. I am happy with each of those upgrades.
  • Turn signal indicators are identical to the one on the Scout. It simply lights up - sometimes simplicity is best IMO.
  • It feels like a Cadillac as compared to the Scout (no more sore tailbones) - I could ride her all day long.
  • Corners well - although it is quite large size-wise compared to the Scout I really do not notice any difference in the corners.
  • Does not feel like a 800# bike - it feels much lighter (the Scout also feels much lighter than a 500# bike by-the-way).
  • It oozes power - the Scout is more nimble and quick - but the Springfield feels much more powerful (sort of reminds me of Sonny Liston :))

Ride hard - ride safe!

Couldn't have said it better myself Lute, coming from the Scout as well.
However I felt the weight difference today when I was cut off and laid her down. I was basically at a complete stop, came to it very abruptly though, and it all happened very slowly. No damage, but the red triangle came on, but went away. I am noticing it sounds like crickets when in N now though, but it comes and goes. I'll take it down to the dealer to make sure there is no internal damage. Thank God those crash bars are there!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
got 4500 miles on, have to take it in to the shop the TPMS quit working on the rear tire other than that and a pinched wire great bike, also About us has good back rest i have one and for 89 $ its worth it

· Registered
477 Posts
Couldn't have said it better myself Lute, coming from the Scout as well.
However I felt the weight difference today when I was cut off and laid her down. I was basically at a complete stop, came to it very abruptly though, and it all happened very slowly. No damage, but the red triangle came on, but went away. I am noticing it sounds like crickets when in N now though, but it comes and goes. I'll take it down to the dealer to make sure there is no internal damage. Thank God those crash bars are there!
Glad you are OK BoySCOUT. I laid down my Scout a couple of times in my first year. Once taking a corner too hot (my stupidity - luckily just lots of road rash and bruises and big dent in gas tank). The others riding down my driveway which is the equivalent of a steep dried up creek bed - lots of ruts and loose stones (all low speed drops and all caused by my stupidity because I was looking at the ground when the bike started to twist and turn). I plan to be more smart with my Springfield.

· Registered
2,846 Posts
Glad you are OK BoySCOUT. I laid down my Scout a couple of times in my first year. Once taking a corner too hot (my stupidity - luckily just lots of road rash and bruises and big dent in gas tank). The others riding down my driveway which is the equivalent of a steep dried up creek bed - lots of ruts and loose stones (all low speed drops and all caused by my stupidity because I was looking at the ground when the bike started to twist and turn). I plan to be more smart with my Springfield.

That's crazy, I did the exact same thing with my Scout, once taking a corner too fast, I was following the line of my friend on his Honda CBR 1000, not a smart idea. It also left a very small dent in my tank and got my saddlebag a bit torn. The second turning into my garage, but luckily I caught it right before it hit the ground.

I could easily pick up the Scout if it started to go down, not so with the Springfield. All I could do the other day was ease it down as slow as possible, gently onto the crash bars. I was just being impatient and foolish, have to take it easier with this beast.

· Bronze member
2,100 Posts
I agree with you that I'd like the headlight to be LED, also. I don't know if there's a reason for not being LED....
I would think there could be 2 reasons;

The LED headlights have a very modern look, part (a good portion) of the appeal of these bikes is their blending of the retro deco look with fully modern capabilities. Those capabilities are pretty much hidden other than the switchgear and brake discs.

Also, every time a manufacturer spends $1 you have to spend $4 when you buy the product. So it could just be that they had no more budget to accommodate an LED and still hit their target price point.

Between the headlight and the driving lights, there is already a *lot* of light coming out the front of the bike.

I (personally) would not go for LEDs just because the stock lamps look so cool.

HTH

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Would love to hear more about your Back Rests, both for my '14 HD Road King and Indian Springfield.

Thanks
In my opinion the backrest is worth its weight in gold. i have back problems and without it after 100 miles or so i am moving around a lot trying to stay without pain or manage the pain with it i can get 200 miles in before i start to feel discomfort but it gives me something to press back against to adjust.... long story short i can ride 2x the amount for 1/2 the pain lol

· Bronze member
1,045 Posts
Have 800 klms (500 miles) on my Springfield and the only 2 extra things that I don't like is that the switch housing on the left side (don't know about the right hand side) can't be rotated. 2nd thing is that I had a Stebel air horn installed and the the techs told and showed me that the horn wiring is connect to the bikes computer and if I hit the horn button for longer than say 4-5 seconds the computer shows an error message and shuts the horn down until you turn the ignition off then back on again. The air horns came with a relay so that's not a problem.

Other than that it's great.

· Founding member / rider
892 Posts
Do they take the power to run the Stebel from a fused link directly from the battery and the only link from the horn thru the computer activated the relay. If so, then a resistor should be put in line on the horn button side to duplicate the load thru the system experienced with the stock horn. That should eliminate the issue you experience with your set up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.