Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with one of the first-run 2014 Chief Classics. Using the exact methods from the manual that I have done plenty of times on newer bikes, cannot get the 2014 to accept changes in rider PIN. I suppose that there have been plenty of programming changes over the years...

Has anyone tackled this issue on an early 2014 model?
2014 Chief - bone stock, no operational issues, never any electrical malfunctions nor any upgrades performed on this one.
Key FOB working fine and present, bike will not accept old rider PIN and it will not allow me to change the PIN either. It seems like the security system is not responding except to the key FOB. It does lock up as normal when FOB is absent, and it readily unlocks as soon as FOB is back in range.

·
Founding member
1,022 Posts
Have you tried the factory pin? I had this situation a few years back, prior to my VCM being changed, and for whatever reason the pin I had changed it to on the day of pick up stopped working. While having a service done they found out it had gone back to the pin used when shipped. I don't know what that pin was off the top of my head or if they are all the same when shipped, but thought I'd share that experience.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried the factory pin? I had this situation a few years back, prior to my VCM being changed, and for whatever reason the pin I had changed it to on the day of pick up stopped working. While having a service done they found out it had gone back to the pin used when shipped. I don't know what that pin was off the top of my head or if they are all the same when shipped, but thought I'd share that experience.
Thanks!
Yes, the hard-coded Master PIN may be a solution (unique to each bike). However, will require Digital Wrench and dealer participation to retrieve that, and hopefully won't go into the VCM replacement routine. I have been told different versions of Polaris policy regarding access to that Master PIN... might just depend on the friendliness of the tech and policy as set by dealership service management.

·
Founding member
2,054 Posts
If the firmware has been updated on the bike, the Rider PIN will be erased. Good techs will reinstall the Rider PIN by asking you for it or checking it prior to the firmware update ... unfortunately, many fail to do this. If this occurs, you must use the Master PIN to install a new Rider PIN (because the old Rider PIN is no longer known by the bike).

Unless you know the Master PIN, it will be necessary for it to be read at a dealership with the DigitalWrench program. This is why it is important to get (and remember) the Master PIN from the dealer/previous owner.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the firmware has been updated on the bike, the Rider PIN will be erased. Good techs will reinstall the Rider PIN by asking you for it or checking it prior to the firmware update ... unfortunately, many fail to do this. If this occurs, you must use the Master PIN to install a new Rider PIN (because the old Rider PIN is no longer known by the bike).

Unless you know the Master PIN, it will be necessary for it to be read at a dealership with the DigitalWrench program. This is why it is important to get (and remember) the Master PIN from the dealer/previous owner.
Agreed, but my problem is with changing the Rider PIN. The written procedures are not working on this bike.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed, but my problem is with changing the Rider PIN. The written procedures are not working on this bike.
I should say that the written procedures do not mention any requirement to input previous Rider OR Master PIN if one has the properly working key fob handy. Perhaps I am not understanding or interpreting the issue correctly.

·
Founding member
2,054 Posts
I should say that the written procedures do not mention any requirement to input previous Rider OR Master PIN if one has the properly working key fob handy. Perhaps I am not understanding or interpreting the issue correctly.
I believe the owners manual is incorrect for the 2014. It mentions that you can use a fob; however, after you hold the turn signal button in for 10 seconds you are still required to enter either the Master PIN or the Riders PIN to get a confirmation "honk" before you can input a new number. I just tried to do it with mine and get an error "key symbol" flashing if I try to skip directly to the new PIN step.

The procedure in the manual was re-written in 2015 which leads me to believe that it was incorrect in the 2014 book.

·
Registered
138 Posts
@dieselgman
I had this before and solution was use the master pin
I often code a customer pin using the master pin and sometimes have difficulty doing with the fob but never have failure using the master pin

·
Registered
50 Posts
The manual is wrong. Missed a critical step. Google "Indian motorcycle security code" for the proper procedure (nice you tube video).

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,081 Posts
Agree that you need the matter PIN. I never tried to change the rider PIN on my 2014 Chieftain using a rider PIN. I always used a master PIN.

The book states that you can use the rider PIN but is has to be a valid PIN. It sounds like the rider PIN you have was erased and therefore is no longer valid. Sounds like you have to go to the dealer to get the matter PIN.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts