Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 Challenger with the stock seat. Due to comfort issues, I will probably replace the seat with a Russell this fall/winter. In anticipation of that switch, I've added the Rider Backrest Mount Kit (2884178).

I haven't added the Indian backrest/pad yet for several reasons... 1) Russell will re-pad/cover it to match my new seat, and I'm not sure I like the shape of it compared to some other backrests I've had in the past, 2) It's ridiculously expensive for what it is, particularly if Russell is going to recover it anyway, and 3) I'm wondering if there are other backrests that will slide in and fit as well as the Indian part.

So... Does anyone know how "universal" the Indian backrest is? Can I buy a used backrest from someone (Mustang, Ultimate) and use that until I get my new seat to save some money? Or will the Backrest Mount Kit only accept the Indian Backrest/pad? Thanks for any input or ideas you might have.

·
Rider
503 Posts
Assuming the backrest is the same or similar to the 111 bikes, I know you can use the ultimate, and I believe the grasshopper fits as well.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I use a Grasshopper but it’s only good I believe on a stock seat. Cost was $80. But again for me my stock seat works awesome. I’ve done several 800 mile days back to back no problem.
8C3B9759-52BD-4823-B7DF-7BDA0C62EBD3.jpeg

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have the grasshopper backrest with the TCTM passanger backrest & luggage rack combo. Cheap, good looking and practical.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, thanks everyone! After your helpful responses, I knew how to look for some options, and found a "like new" Indian backrest on eBay for a modest price. It'll work great, and I can send it off to Russell later on. Again, many thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts