Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just some FYI for those who may be interested in adding the rider backrest. I ordered the extended reach seat/rider backrest-pad after riding a stock bike at our demo days event. I pieced together some stuff using Indian's custom build site. The site allows you to add either the extended reach seat or reduced reach seat with the backrest. THEY DON'T FIT !!!! It does show in the accessory catalog that the backrest/pad is for stock seat only (small print) D'OH !! But I went by the custom build chart at Indian's website. Just so you know......

Reactions: Cindy

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just some FYI for those who may be interested in adding the rider backrest. I ordered the extended reach seat/rider backrest-pad after riding a stock bike at our demo days event. I pieced together some stuff using Indian's custom build site. The site allows you to add either the extended reach seat or reduced reach seat with the backrest. THEY DON'T FIT !!!! It does show in the accessory catalog that the backrest/pad is for stock seat only (small print) D'OH !! But I went by the custom build chart at Indian's website. Just so you know......
So if I have the standard seat my driver backrest and pad will work?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
46 Posts
well...that sucks. I need the backrest and the reach

·
Registered
46 Posts
Troop, what is the problem with the fit? is it something that could be fixed with some fabriction? No backrest could possibly be a dealbreaker for me due to back issues.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seat pan bottoms are different on the accessory seats. The seat pans on the extended/reduce reach seats will not slide into place on the rear locking tab.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Seat pan bottoms are different on the accessory seats. The seat pans on the extended/reduce reach seats will not slide into place on the rear locking tab.
I installed both the extended reach seat and backrest. The seat peice that goes over that rear locking tab would go over it fine but would move up and off without any downward pressure. When I installed the back rest pad over the extended reach seat, the pad location forces the seat down and into a lock setting. Worked for me, but curious how things will fit when I add the passenger seat...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I installed both the extended reach seat and backrest. The seat peice that goes over that rear locking tab would go over it fine but would move up and off without any downward pressure. When I installed the back rest pad over the extended reach seat, the pad location forces the seat down and into a lock setting. Worked for me, but curious how things will fit when I add the passenger seat...
I'll be riding solo, so this is good news!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It doesn't lock in place. That is the issue. The pressure of the foam keeps it snug. The lumbar back of the seat gets all crunched up.

·
Registered
563 Posts
As troop pointed out about the lumbar area being "scrunched". The photos make this clear. Any word from your dealer or Indian about this?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I gotta be honest guys, I've seen the pad for the backrest, it is TINY! I was really surprised how tiny it was! When I was thinking about ordering the passenger sissy bar, pad and mounts for the passenger area it made me go "would I want to have that behind my back?"

But, as you all know, I realized after spending months on this site, the Scout just isn't two up without some upgrades.

The rider backrest with pad might be just enough to reduce the fatigue and considering the price, probably not that expensive considering it's OEM. If you swing into your dealer, there is a good chance they'll have the pad for you to see.

Lot's of Scouts delivering! Woot! Woot! Excited to see everybody on the reservation list with their bikes! How cool will that be?!

Keep the rubber on the road!

Reactions: redscout
1 - 16 of 16 Posts