Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads-up on an issue I asked about (my first post on this site) regarding the auto dim function on the RideCommand. The is issue is that the auto-dimmer, after initial running and then stopping for a brief period (like getting gas), would take the brightness down to about 15% on its own making it nearly impossible to see the screen in daylight conditions.This was specifically problematic if you don't notice until you're underway. Then you have to pull off because you couldn't see the screen to even put it in manual to adjust the brightness level back up.

I submitted the issue to the Corporate Indian Tech group (after the mechanic at Indian said he had no clue how to inspect it or even where the light sensor was).I was told to make sure I had the latest update downloaded, which I did, and that you can't run Day/Night/Auto background screen in Auto with the Auto-Dimmer feature selected at the same time (which was not correct). I also confirmed with the Indian salesman that he actually experienced this same issue with a model they had on the floor as he was demonstrating RideCommand to a customer. He could not get it work without going exclusively to manual. Tech support and I exchanged e-mails back and forth with at least 8 e-mails trying possible solutions prior to them telling me to take it back to shop. I'll say this, I truly appreciate their communication.

Bottom line, my entire RideCommand system has to be replaced. The problem is repeatable but also manifest in a long road trip with glitches in the mapping / GPS (it would change next destination to previous destinations).

Just wanted to share in case others have these issues. I can't wait to get it back!

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Not sure what bike you have, but I have a 2020 Challenger and have had the same issue since day 1...and I also have the latest update. I have heard many others with the same issue. So...they have decided that it's your Ride Command system? Yikes...they're going to have a lot of them to replace if that's the case!

Do you have, I don't know, a TSB number...or anything that I and others can take to our dealers if this really is the fix?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what bike you have, but I have a 2020 Challenger and have had the same issue since day 1...and I also have the latest update. I have heard many others with the same issue. So...they have decided that it's your Ride Command system? Yikes...they're going to have a lot of them to replace if that's the case!

Do you have, I don't know, a TSB number...or anything that I and others can take to our dealers if this really is the fix?
I have a 5 month old 2020 Roadmaster Darkhorse. I don't have any further information yet. I just got a call from the Indian mechanics manager today telling me he was working with Corp on this they decided they need to replace the entire RideCommand. I will update this string with any information I get.

I really hate to hear that it is more widespread than I originally received feedback on. It shakes my confidence a little more in the quality. It's frustrating but the entire RideCommand system was glitchy for me. It would freeze at times, react well after you entered selections with the inputs, and other sub-par items. The GPS absolutely was going bonkers every time I left my house. Took 2 1/2 miles to stop spinning in circles, literally, and then was moderately (embarrassingly) accurate.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I wonder if that is a 2020 issue? My '17 RM will run up and down the "dimness scale", depending on what the sensor is picking up, but it has never been unreadable. The closest thing that I have seen to what you describe is if I ride home in the dark, and then start the bike the next morning. Even in bright sunlight, the screen wakes up on the dim setting, and takes about 30 seconds to realize that it is bright out and then adjusts accordingly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if that is a 2020 issue? My '17 RM will run up and down the "dimness scale", depending on what the sensor is picking up, but it has never been unreadable. The closest thing that I have seen to what you describe is if I ride home in the dark, and then start the bike the next morning. Even in bright sunlight, the screen wakes up on the dim setting, and takes about 30 seconds to realize that it is bright out and then adjusts accordingly.
It could be a 2020 glitch. I asked about it on these blogs when I first got the bike and no one had heard of the issue. Now I know of several other cases so I think it’s the 2020 model. The brightness takes a nose dive, after a brief stop (say for gas or bee...I mean pop) and will not come back up (I’ve waited as long as 20 minutes while riding on the highway after getting gas). You have to find the manual selection (which is hard as it’s so dim while ambient light is bright) and turn up the brightness manually. You can return it to auto the next day you ride.

Not the same issue, I don’t believe.

·
Bronze member
3,943 Posts
The 2020 Ride Command units are brand new units made by Harmon Kardon. Everything prior was from different company. Most of the complaints I have seen are on the 2020 units. Probably be a while before the bugs are worked out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 2020 Ride Command units are brand new units made by Harmon Kardon. Everything prior was from different company. Most of the complaints I have seen are on the 2020 units. Probably be a while before the bugs are worked out.
I’m a sucker for this stuff. In retrospect, I should have kept it simple and stuck with my Ram Mount! The RideCommand impresses me as much as my seat! 😱😂

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
TBH, the 2017 Ride Command units had a lot of issues at first launch. They were eventually fixed by Indian.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gardner Sorrell

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TBH, the 2017 Ride Command units had a lot of issues at first launch. They were eventually fixed by Indian.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I’m not disappointed in their response on this but we’ll see if it gets corrected. It did take them a while to acknowledge my issue wasn’t user error but I get it, it’s a new model from a new supplier. I just want it to work as I expected when I paid for it. Glad to hear they corrected the 2017 issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts