Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@SavannahMark and I were supposed to be riding from Savannah to California this week. He was able to still go but work threw a wrench in my "vacation". Instead of riding across the country, I rode with him for a day and a half. First day was from Savannah to Cherokee NC. We got in much earlier than we intended.

We talked about doing the Tail of the Dragon that day but instead, decided to check out Maggie Valley and Dale's Wheels Through Time. Fortunately, I called ahead to ensure their closing time and found out they're closed because of COVID still.

We decided to get a room do the Dragon the following day. Good and bad. We were both tired from waking up super early but the weather wasn't 100% cooperative the 2nd day. It rained off and on as we rode through Deals Gap and we pulled over at the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort for a quick break and see what the store had to offer. Fortunately, the sun was peaking out so I took off my Frog Toggs and put on my 1/2 helmet and we stayed dry until we turned on the Foothills Pkwy. We rode up to Pigeon Forge TN for lunch and we split off from there. The sun was out again after lunch so I headed East toward the Smokey Mountain National Park and took that back to Cherokee. There are some spectacular views and I regret not stopping for some photos. From there it was back roads all the way home to Savannah.

We were both a little nervous about doing the Tail of the Dragon. Around SE Georgia, the only hills we have are highway overpasses and there really aren't any curvy roads either. We went through at a perfect time. It was still fairly early and during the week. We didn't have many others to share the road with. We did come up on a car and bike pretty early and both pulled over to let us by and we didn't have anyone come up on us. Even with the rain, it was comfortable and I saw 69 when I crested the mountains in the National Park. It was 95 pretty much the entire way through Georgia which is never fun. I drank over a gallon of water and had to make myself use the restroom at a gas stop.

6 hours the first day, 12 the second with 800 miles total. I didn't realize how close all that really is. Something I'll definitely be doing again real soon.

·
Bronze member
1,370 Posts
Awesome report. Now next time set as a few days and ride the BRP from marker 0-469. Along the way take the spur road up to the top of Mount Mitchell. Once you drop off the BRP go north through the SMNP and into Townsend Tennessee continue along 321 to the foothills parkway and onto 129 through to the Cherohala over to Tellico Plains. Your chicken strips will thank you.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Getting ready to do almost the same trip. Temps are supposed to moderate late next week. So my friend and I are leaving from just south of Macon and heading up to Franklin, NC on Thursday. On Friday we plan to ride the dragon and continue on around to Gatlinberg and Cherokee then Franklin for another night. We will take the long way home on Saturday.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts