Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Aside from the obvious, ha ha. LOVE the seat-of-the-pants feel of Sport mode. However, on rough roads and around town it can get pretty twitchy. Touring mode is so smooth. So my question is, does anyone know, is the difference only in the rate at which the throttle opens or is there some difference in fuel mapping, ignition, etc. Touring mode is really nice around town, but i want to know that if the guy staring at his cell phone pulls his car out straight at me and I need to get out of the way, if I'm going to get the same response when I twist that throttle wide open as I would in Sport mode.

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts
Ok. Aside from the obvious, ha ha. LOVE the seat-of-the-pants feel of Sport mode. However, on rough roads and around town it can get pretty twitchy. Touring mode is so smooth. So my question is, does anyone know, is the difference only in the rate at which the throttle opens or is there some difference in fuel mapping, ignition, etc. Touring mode is really nice around town, but i want to know that if the guy staring at his cell phone pulls his car out straight at me and I need to get out of the way, if I'm going to get the same response when I twist that throttle wide open as I would in Sport mode.
Ride modes are simply Ride By Wire throttle settings. There is no fuel or ignition changes.

For example if you twist the grip lets say 50% of its travel and the butterfly valve in the throttle opened 50% that would be a linear 1 to 1 ratio.

But that would be super extreme. So the ride modes change how far the butterfly opens based on grip twist and how fast that occurs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kind of what I thought. So in theory, at WOT, all modes are irrelevant and engine output is identical, regardless of mode setting, right?

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts
Kind of what I thought. So in theory, at WOT, all modes are irrelevant and engine output is identical, regardless of mode setting, right?

That's correct, but since the rates are different, the more sporty mode will open faster giving you that sensation of more power because it comes on much quicker.

·
Registered
178 Posts
For example if you twist the grip lets say 50% of its travel and the butterfly valve in the throttle opened 50% that would be a linear 1 to 1 ratio.

But that would be super extreme.
Why is that extreme? Why isn't that the norm? Isn't this how throttle cables perform? From the throttle maps I've seen posted in these forums the drive by wire settings appear very tame to my untrained eye. Why don't people generally want an equal ratio of grip to actual throttle response?

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts