Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past couple of weeks I have been practicing some of the Ride Like a Pro slow turning techniques with my Chieftain. I have made many u-turns, (still a little leery of dropping her but I got the turns inside of 23 feet.), tight turns into parking spaces, turns from a stop and some slow speed weaving. During these practice sessions, I have made some observations regarding the Brake Throttle Override I would like to share:

1) Not one time, did I experience a BTO.
2) I believe the clutch has to be fully engaged for the BTO to activate. You can test this by applying rear brake for a few seconds, pull in the clutch and give it some throttle. Because your clutch is never fully engaged if you are operating in the "friction zone", you will not activate the BTO.
3) Can the BTO activate at "parking lot speeds"? Evans Brasfield, author of 2015 Indian Roadmaster – First Ride Review on motorcycle.com wrote, " In one instance, trying to roll on the throttle to complete a U-turn resulted in the bike lying on its side when no power was delivered to the rear wheel." You can surmise that he was at a slow speed when this happened so I would ask him, how fast were you trying to negotiate that u-turn and was the clutch fully engaged while you were "dragging your brake"? If the clutch was fully engaged...why? It is not good technique to be at parking lot speeds while riding the brake and keeping the clutch fully engaged and applying throttle. You would, at the very least, have the clutch partially engaged and if not, why are you on the brake? Correct me if I am wrong on this.

That brings us to the scenario that I have read on this and other forums where riders were able to activate the BTO. Every one of those that I read involved speeds of around 30 MPH or higher, 2 seconds or more of continuous brake application, fully engaged clutch and throttle above idle. If any one of these things was not engaged, the BTO would not activate. Can someone please explain to me a scenario where, in normal riding, all of these factors would apply?

So, after all this testing, observation and note taking, I went out to activate the BTO to see if I could come up with a few different scenarios. My conclusion? I don't think the BTO works on my Chieftain! I accelerated to 45 mph, applied rear brake and counted off 5 full seconds. I applied throttle while still at 35 mph and holding brake. The engine responded immediately. I tried this 15 times at different speeds and different gears. I even tried to ride the brake for 10 seconds while keeping the throttle open and clutch fully engaged. No BTO.

Either, my BTO does not work or the dealer has a secret flash, lied to me that he didn't and re-flashed my bike to eliminate the BTO despite the fact that Indian says it can't be done on 2014 models. I think the former is more believable.

Oh, well. I set out to chronicle my observations in hope to help alleviate some people's "fear" of the dreaded BTO all the while riding a motorcycle that appears to be lacking in that function. ::)

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Trail braking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This link might explain the ONLY scenario that I can think of.
Like you, I do employ the friction zone technique but only at parking lot speeds.
I have not noted any cut out at speeds that I've used the brake/throttle/clutch together.

·
Founding member
732 Posts
Dave,
I ride a Chieftain also an mine cuts out. I was at the dealer in PA yesterday and asked to have the BTO overridden and they told me Indian did not come up with the fix yet. They are still waiting on the "Flash" software update. So they are a 2 hr ride I will have to take another day. Starting to not like riding so far when I need service. That was an 8 hr day yesterday.
Tom

·
Registered
27 Posts
It stands for Brake Throttle Override. Mine works, and I noticed that it throws a trouble code on the MFD. Had my 500 mile service today and was told that they still don't have anything from Indian to disable it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I never heard of this till recently. Never tried it in 30 years. Thought it was Bachman Turner Overdrive.
I understand that the BTO is not used on the 2015 models. My 2014 Chieftain has it, never found a problem with it as it is properly designed to only take effect over 12 mph so that the trailing brake U turn technique can be used. Anyone riding with brake and throttle applied simultaneously at normal road speed is not riding correctly according to Bosch, Polaris and this old school fart.

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
I know this has been discussed many times but I've never had an issue with the BTO. If the BTO is set at 2 seconds, I can see this as a potential problem. I think the BTO should be set at 5 seconds minimum. If the ride by wire system were to go WOT (wide open throttle) 5 seconds would be fine to stand on the brakes or gather your wits and hit the kill buttons. JMO

·
Registered
716 Posts
For the past couple of weeks I have been practicing some of the Ride Like a Pro slow turning techniques with my Chieftain. I have made many u-turns, (still a little leery of dropping her but I got the turns inside of 23 feet.), tight turns into parking spaces, turns from a stop and some slow speed weaving. During these practice sessions, I have made some observations regarding the Brake Throttle Override I would like to share:

1) Not one time, did I experience a BTO.
2) I believe the clutch has to be fully engaged for the BTO to activate. You can test this by applying rear brake for a few seconds, pull in the clutch and give it some throttle. Because your clutch is never fully engaged if you are operating in the "friction zone", you will not activate the BTO.
3) Can the BTO activate at "parking lot speeds"? Evans Brasfield, author of 2015 Indian Roadmaster – First Ride Review on motorcycle.com wrote, " In one instance, trying to roll on the throttle to complete a U-turn resulted in the bike lying on its side when no power was delivered to the rear wheel." You can surmise that he was at a slow speed when this happened so I would ask him, how fast were you trying to negotiate that u-turn and was the clutch fully engaged while you were "dragging your brake"? If the clutch was fully engaged...why? It is not good technique to be at parking lot speeds while riding the brake and keeping the clutch fully engaged and applying throttle. You would, at the very least, have the clutch partially engaged and if not, why are you on the brake? Correct me if I am wrong on this.

That brings us to the scenario that I have read on this and other forums where riders were able to activate the BTO. Every one of those that I read involved speeds of around 30 MPH or higher, 2 seconds or more of continuous brake application, fully engaged clutch and throttle above idle. If any one of these things was not engaged, the BTO would not activate. Can someone please explain to me a scenario where, in normal riding, all of these factors would apply?

So, after all this testing, observation and note taking, I went out to activate the BTO to see if I could come up with a few different scenarios. My conclusion? I don't think the BTO works on my Chieftain! I accelerated to 45 mph, applied rear brake and counted off 5 full seconds. I applied throttle while still at 35 mph and holding brake. The engine responded immediately. I tried this 15 times at different speeds and different gears. I even tried to ride the brake for 10 seconds while keeping the throttle open and clutch fully engaged. No BTO.

Either, my BTO does not work or the dealer has a secret flash, lied to me that he didn't and re-flashed my bike to eliminate the BTO despite the fact that Indian says it can't be done on 2014 models. I think the former is more believable.

Oh, well. I set out to chronicle my observations in hope to help alleviate some people's "fear" of the dreaded BTO all the while riding a motorcycle that appears to be lacking in that function. ::)
I have a 2014 vintage that my dealer did the flash on. No more bto and better throttle response.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I had the dealer do the flash on mine before I brought it home. I would hate to be in the middle of a maneuver and lose power when you're not expecting it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did the flash update on mine as well...even thought the BTO never caused me any grief.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have a 2015 Chieftain and it HAS the BTO. Strangely though, here's the way it works on my bike. If you have throttle on (at virtually any speed) and hit the brakes it cuts the throttle . Its a gentle rather than abrupt cut of the throttle. However, if you have zero throttle, apply the brakes and then roll on throttle while continually applying brakes it will sense throttle and accelerate. For me only occasionally do I trail brake into a corner and I'm not usually doing 'Ride like a Pro' in parking lots so its not a big issue for me.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I made sure that the dealership flashed the BTO before I took delivery of my Chieftain, they were glad to do it for me.

---

Live Free and Die Well
Texas Hill Country - Wimberley
Ahote - my 2015 Blue and Ivory Chieftain

1 - 13 of 13 Posts