Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts
Bought my Challenger in November.
And just recently the usb would not recognize my phone but still keeps it charged.

Yes everything works via Bluetooth except I don’t see the icons for replay or shuffle anymore but everything use to work when hooked with usb.

I just had the recall done for the throttle bodies, I wonder if they also do a ride command reflash/update?
I also tried different adapter cords for phone.

In November of 2020 just about the time the Challenger was launched, Indian had a mandatory update for the 2020 Ride Command units. Dealers were instructed to tell their 2020 customers to come in or download and install the update, and update all the showroom bikes. I would make sure you have the latest's ride command software.

This may explain some who have nothing but issues and others that don't. It is well know a large number of dealerships are piss poor and didn't do the updates. There are today new Challenger owners dealing with he Throttle body issues because they just bought brand new bikes (made last year) that were sitting in dealerships and those dealers never did the updates on the showroom models.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thx Barron, I did the ride command update when I installed the gps option on my base Challenger.
But will double check, I agree some lazy dealers out there.
Once you purchase they seem to forget ya, unless ur buying something else. Sad but it is in all industry’s.

·
Rider
434 Posts
After installing NAV on my base model I have had no issues. Navigation seems to work just fine. Found all addresses I have put in. I knew where I was going but wanted to see if the nav would find it accordingly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Are the issues with Ride Command with every Challenger?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have only noticed a couple of these issues. Once in a while my rider screen will go all black and say loading. It usually clears up after a minute or two. I've had my music screen go white. The music never stops and hand controls still work. But again it comes back after about a minute. I've never had any issues with nav locking up. I would hope they would prioritize that in the software, so nav has more processor resource allocation than anything else, but I'm not sure. I never have any issues over bluetooth or plugged in directly.

Overall they have only caused minor inconveniences and nothing I'd switch brands for. I think the nav is better than the HD nav. Seems like every time someone on an HD leads it will get us close then...just kinda give up? Or they miss turns constantly, so it may not be as intuitive. Overall they could definitely make some improvements, but I'm happy with it. I like the phone app or computer program. I use those a lot to plan routes then just upload to my bike. Again the app and computer based programs are kinda wonky and not near the level of google maps, but once you fiddle with them enough it's not too bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When reading all the posts, the conclusion is that Ride Command on Challengers is a beta version and should not have been delivered by Polaris/Indian. Fortunately, the riding experience with the Challenger is great.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,290 Posts
When reading all the posts, the conclusion is that Ride Command on Challengers is a beta version and should not have been delivered by Polaris/Indian. Fortunately, the riding experience with the Challenger is great.
I wouldn't agree with that statement. I've run into a couple of minor issues but I think some of them depend on a specific type of phone being connected. I ride with my Pixel 2 connected via bluetooth and listen to music all the time. The auto-dim mode dims the screen too low for my liking so I leave it on a higher setting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wouldn't agree with that statement. I've run into a couple of minor issues but I think some of them depend on a specific type of phone being connected. I ride with my Pixel 2 connected via bluetooth and listen to music all the time. The auto-dim mode dims the screen too low for my liking so I leave it on a higher setting.
TechRider: You gave me the hint to have the navigation work with my Challenger Ride Command: MY IPHONE( latest iOS) HAS TO BE DISCONNECTED FROM THE RIDE COMMAND, EITHER WITH BLUETOOTH OR USB.

But, obviously, I now ride without music or communication.

Nevertheless and nowadays, I maintain my conclusion: Such software flaws are unacceptable.
Imagine eg that Dropbox does not work if your mobile phone is connected to this service when your your computer is linked to this service at the same time. Or you cannot print from your computer if your mobile phone is on the same network as your computer.
The general user's comment simply would be: UNUSABLE.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The ride command on my 2018 chieftain is awesome. Hooks right up to my phone as soon as I start up the bike. Map works great. I really like the scenic mode. I thought the new one was supposed to be better. Maybe not. I hope they continue to support us old version folks.
I removed my 2020 crappy RC after finding out my dealer is clueless on how to fix it. It sucked from day 1 and just stopped working 8 months later.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2021 Roadmaster with the new Ride Command. I won't get into all the problems with it. But I had the Ride Command unit replaced, I still have the same issues. Here are two things I have notices:
  • If I have any memory stick with music, plugged into the bike, It takes a real long time to bootup and most of the time it locks up and reboots.
  • When it gets stuck in Night mode or the screen brightness doesn't change, I just place my hand over the Tachometer for a few seconds, they it does what it should do (the sensor must be in the gauge). I am having the Tach replace to see it that fixes it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I know the RideCommand head unit is a hub for controlling most functions. What functions did you lose by going this route?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lost ride modes, rear cylinder deactivate and fob bypass. All features I could live without

·
Registered
39 Posts
You also lost:
Tire Pressure Monitor
Oil Change Maintenance
Diagnostic
Fuel Mileage
and maybe Maps, Weather, Outdoor Air Temp

Ride Command su**ks, but it does work about 30% of the time. I just hope Indian will fix it and not just drop it for a new version.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts