Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using a USB stick to play music on the Chieftain, and have noticed that if I browse to an album and choose a song in the middle, it will only play that one song. If I hit the "Play All" button at the top, it will play all of the music on the album/folder. This is pretty annoying behavior, my Harley system does as you would expect. Cherry pick track 5 of 10 and it'll play that track, then continue playing track 6 and the rest of them as expected.

Am I dumb and missing something, or is this really how the system works? :)

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
If your bike has the same RC touch screen as my '17 Roadmaster, here is the sequence:

Scroll to your artist or album. Find a song on the list, touch the far right side of the song title -- there should be a mini list icon. Then, you should get a pop up screen asking of you want to add it to the queue. Do so. This is your playlist. Add as many songs as you want. BUT, if you choose an album and select the "Play All" button at the top of the list, it will overwrite the queue.

Reactions: KevIndian

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I did find that little menu, but like you said it is song by song. Definitely something that is hazardous while riding. I tried it with one song and it cleared the queue and played that one song. It is surprising to me that what seems like a basic/obvious programming consideration, is not there. I guess that is 26 years in the software development field talking though. I have to say, the latest touchscreen Harley BOOM! GTS system blows this Ride Command one away.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks, I did find that little menu, but like you said it is song by song. Definitely something that is hazardous while riding. I tried it with one song and it cleared the queue and played that one song. It is surprising to me that what seems like a basic/obvious programming consideration, is not there. I guess that is 26 years in the software development field talking though. I have to say, the latest touchscreen Harley BOOM! GTS system blows this Ride Command one away.
I do not disagree, but if you are pain in the a$$ when it comes to listening to a block of music when you want to listen to it (like myself), you could organize your music into some themes. Also, each file has metadata you can use to make sure the data is right when you are playing songs from the USB conneciton.

I have too many moods to configure for a normal human being... so groups of files in folders by mood is what I do, a separate thumb stick for "everything," then the bluetooth to connect my phone or tablet with streaming music from .

·
Bronze member
1,856 Posts
I just have playlists I made on both my iPod or Iphone

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just have playlists I made on both my iPod or Iphone
I'm too old fashioned and I want my data served my way. This is what I use...
  • MP3Juices.CC to get the music I want,
  • MP3 Tag which is a Windows App to make sure I edit my metadata and file names the way I want,
  • WavePad Audio Editor when I want to cut whitespace or intro/exit audio from the file.
I manage my lists, create my folders, play and forget everything else (expept for my wife who does the same thing and plays a bunch of songs resembling the sound on an inground sprinkler system to close to me... which I then require my speakers to be much louder to play ... well ... you know ... anything resembling music).

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
In addition to a slew of individual albums, I have large collections of music. For example, I have an "80's Rock" folder that has like 120 songs in it. A "90's Rock" folder that has like 100 songs, etc. Sometimes, I just feel like starting in the middle though. :) Unfortunately, when I'm on the Indian and not the Harley, that means either NOT doing that, or I have to hit the FF button 50x. How they managed to design an infotainment system that allows playing from a USB drive, yet can't be smart enough to simply keep playing music after the song I cherry pick (which is why the system exists lol), is beyond me. Is what it is I guess...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Incredibly true. That said... If we go with the thumb drive option, and you don't want to creatre folders (playlists), here's an option... Keep Artist and Song Title metadata exact, then configure the Album metadata in groups. Now if you go to the Album seleciton, you can select Play All... but before you do that - make sure your songs play in shuffle mode. You'll get a random start.

Of course... it's nowhere near perfect at all. But that why the smart folks are here... to create a 1/2 way decent workaround. Please enjoy.

Reactions: KevIndian

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
I carry about 1200+ songs on a USB drive, normally dedicated to the bike. The same USB drive holds a bunch of routes. All songs are in folders by artist. All GPX files stored at the root level. Otherwise, RC cannot find them for import. Keeping a library of GPX routes allows me to remove much of the clutter from my GPS screen. But, that is a sidebar to this thread.

One of the things I am interested in, related to music, is setting up playlists -- and keeping them - on the bike. Yes, you can create one at any time. But, how do you keep several? My mood changes as I drive. Or, get tired of listening to the same block of music. Or, I want to hear a particular genre as opposed to "play all randomly."

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had a 18 RM and thumb drive would pick up from the last song played. I bought a 20 RM and moved the thumb drive to it and it wants to start from the beginning each and every time I start the bike. If I put it in shuffle mode it seems to put certain songs in blocks and will play from and does the same certain blocks about every 5th or 6th time I start the bike. Waiting to see if a new update comes out and fixes the problem

·
Registered
162 Posts
I carry about 1200+ songs on a USB drive, normally dedicated to the bike. The same USB drive holds a bunch of routes. All songs are in folders by artist. All GPX files stored at the root level. Otherwise, RC cannot find them for import. Keeping a library of GPX routes allows me to remove much of the clutter from my GPS screen. But, that is a sidebar to this thread.

One of the things I am interested in, related to music, is setting up playlists -- and keeping them - on the bike. Yes, you can create one at any time. But, how do you keep several? My mood changes as I drive. Or, get tired of listening to the same block of music. Or, I want to hear a particular genre as opposed to "play all randomly."
If you don't care about an Album's name... use it as a mood tag. Divide 1200 songs (MP3 files) into different moods. If you want one song to fit multiple moods, modify the file name with the metadata format, and vice versa.

I hate when people say TRUST ME on certain things... but really trust me, you should look into this Windows program... Mp3tag - Download.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i use id3 tagit to edit the ALBUM info into "albums" named by genre. IE celtic, Heavymetal, mariachi, Rap, then hit random after loading a "genre album"

I'm too old fashioned and I want my data served my way. This is what I use...
  • MP3Juices.CC to get the music I want,
  • MP3 Tag which is a Windows App to make sure I edit my metadata and file names the way I want,
  • WavePad Audio Editor when I want to cut whitespace or intro/exit audio from the file.
I manage my lists, create my folders, play and forget everything else (expept for my wife who does the same thing and plays a bunch of songs resembling the sound on an inground sprinkler system to close to me... which I then require my speakers to be much louder to play ... well ... you know ... anything resembling music).

·
Registered
261 Posts
I use the USB stick method, with all the songs in one folder. I keep shuffle on. My only complaint is that every so often it seems to come to the end of the list, and I have to go back in, pick a song, and get the process going again. Never quite understood it, but then again I don’t think I’ve ever had a USB system or MP3 player that works the way I want it to. Certainly not an iPod, I hate iTunes and the whole apple user misintereface system.

The USB-to-Ride Command system is the least annoying, I’d say.

·
Registered
7 Posts
on my chieftain elite there is 2 onscreen buttons one has: loop1 (song) loop playlist, no loop ... the other is random on/off.. i assume loop the playlist would solve your issue if you have the option..

i try to listen to the radio as much as possible until I'm out of range,
funny enough i can tolerate whatever the DJ plays but when I'm playing from the usb stick , I'm constantly skipping ahead,,, and periodically reviewing/deleting songs off the stick...

·
Registered
2020 Roadmaster 116 stage 2
62 Posts
The usb stick that used to work on my 2018 Roadmaster wont work on my 2020 Roadmaster. Anybody have any tips. I am not the greatest at all this tech stuff.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Try inserting the USB stick from the RM18 into a laptop to see if it can be read from there. If not... something went bad on the USB stick and you'll need to trash it or reformat it. If it works, then the next step is to format a new USB stick on a laptop, grab a few songs, and see if the new stick works. If that also doesn't do the trick... you likely have a faulty cable in the fairing and need to have the dealer swap it out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts