Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to hear what y'all had to say about Ride Command before dropping the $500 to upgrade. Has there been any indication that they might add Android Auto? Or do you think the navigation package is worth it by itself?

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
984 Posts
It depends on what your wants and needs are. I have the limited so it came with it so it's difficult for me to know the differences. I didn't want my phone out distracting me while riding so having the nicer ride command is nice.

·
Registered
220 Posts
FWIW, I looked at buying Ride Command ($509 for license + $400 for labor to install) against the idea of a Garmin Zumo XT and went with the latter. The Garmin likely has fewer Indian rider-centric features, but it can be moved to a car and had a broader corporate support structure. Right now it is hard-wired directly to my MC battery, but I am looking to install on two bikes an electrical distribution system (recommended by TechRider) that would allow for fairly simple relocation to either bike.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have the ride command, since I had $750 or Indian money to spend, and I use it. (1) I would rather have the bigger screen in front of me instead of my phone's screen. I can tuck my phone in the cubby and (2) have less chance of it falling off of my handlebars and crashing to the ground. I use Apple Carplay, so it's updated automatically and no need to buy anything more.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yes it was worth the 500 to me for all the reasons already mentioned. I like having it right there, it's not an extra part attached to the bike and you can operate it via the handlebar controls. If this is a new bike you should be able to get them to not charge for installation.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger Limited in Bright Freaking Red!
45 Posts
Ride Command wirh CarPlay was a huge reason I traded my Chieftain in for my Challenger. The new Ride Command is sluggish and basically junk imho. The only time it’s worthwhile is when I’m using CarPlay. As long as I activate it in specific order - turn bike on, connect helmet Bluetooth to bike, and then plug phone in it works fine. Connect phone before helmet and it never works. The new problem I’m having is my challenger is breaking the camera on my phone (iPhone XS Max). I’ve had to replace the camera twice now - I put the phone in the cubby with the usb connection, and apparently vibration in that cubby is so strong that it consistently breaks the image stabilization module inside the phone. 🤷‍♂️ The solution will hopefully be a $130 wireless dongle I can plug into the bike to give me wireless CarPlay, and keep my phone in my jacket pocket (have to figure out charging - I go for looong rides).
This is all super irritating and annoying. And I’m pissed I have to spend an extra $130 on this wireless dongle. But honestly, using Waze when I’m flying down roads on my super powerful bright red Indian Challenger (red is faster!) is so awesome, I’ll just have to grin and bear it. And the grin some more!

·
Registered
45 Posts
@DMV SoloRider doesn't the Challenger have a power port in the right saddlebag like the Chieftain to charge your phone.
Well now, I should probably know the answer to that question. 😂 But if putting the phone in the cubby is too much vibration/breaking the phone, I figure sticking it in a saddlebag might not be any better. 🤷‍♂️ Can always run a long charge cord to my pocket when needed. Lol

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
984 Posts
You could have the phone be more isolated with some padding, maybe even in the pocket.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah, I can try that. Or I can buy a new wireless do dad and come up with a super convoluted solution, and then post in 6 months that I’m tired of having to carry a battery charger for my phone. Come on!

·
5 years +
149 Posts
Well now, I should probably know the answer to that question. 😂 But if putting the phone in the cubby is too much vibration/breaking the phone, I figure sticking it in a saddlebag might not be any better. 🤷‍♂️ Can always run a long charge cord to my pocket when needed. Lol
Fill your saddle bag up with chicken feathers 😂

·
Registered
562 Posts
FWIW, I looked at buying Ride Command ($509 for license + $400 for labor to install) against the idea of a Garmin Zumo XT and went with the latter. The Garmin likely has fewer Indian rider-centric features, but it can be moved to a car and had a broader corporate support structure. Right now it is hard-wired directly to my MC battery, but I am looking to install on two bikes an electrical distribution system (recommended by TechRider) that would allow for fairly simple relocation to either bike.
I also went with the new Garmin. I like to route my trips on Basecamp and download them to my Garmin GPS. I already had a Garmin Zumo 660 but I did purchase the new XT which will be very nice once they get the bugs worked out of it. The Challenger GPS will also be much better once the bugs are worked out and they will be eventually. I think the XT is $499 but I had amazon cash coming so got it for $400. I have had great support from Garmin so I assume they will get the bugs worked out and you get free map and program updates for life. I like the idea of having the GPS incorporated in the bike but because of my use of Basecamp (I have over 30 routes saved which I ride every year.) I would use the Garmin anyway so it kind of defeats the purpose. So if you just use a GPS to get you from point A to point B. The one on the bike would probably be best. But if you route the most interesting paths I don't know how you can do better than a Garmin XT

·
Registered
177 Posts
I bought the Base Challenger because I'm not big on all this new technology and besides, a lot of my riding is done with the Wife and she has Navigation on her '17 Chieftain Limited and I like to follow her(I've always liked the view from behind) and when she gives me a Ride Command to turn right, I turn right. If I travel by myself I use my Antique GPS and if that doesn't work, and I get lost, I'll ask someone for directions, yes I know that's not the "Manly" thing to do, but isn't that half the fun of riding a motorcycle? Ok, I'm just having a little fun here anyway, On a serious note, I do keep my phone in the right cubby or the right saddlebag and use bluetooth for my music and haven't had any issues with vibration breaking my phone. My Challenger seems to be smooth in the department, this is the first I've heard of these bikes vibrating that much to break a phone. . Of course my phone is not an Apple product.
20210114_062117.jpg

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought the Base Challenger because I'm not big on all this new technology and besides, a lot of my riding is done with the Wife and she has Navigation on her '17 Chieftain Limited and I like to follow her(I've always liked the view from behind) and when she gives me a Ride Command to turn right, I turn right. If I travel by myself I use my Antique GPS and if that doesn't work, and I get lost, I'll ask someone for directions, yes I know that's not the "Manly" thing to do, but isn't that half the fun of riding a motorcycle? Ok, I'm just having a little fun here anyway, On a serious note, I do keep my phone in the right cubby or the right saddlebag and use bluetooth for my music and haven't had any issues with vibration breaking my phone. My Challenger seems to be smooth in the department, this is the first I've heard of these bikes vibrating that much to break a phone. . Of course my phone is not an Apple product.
. View attachment 619320
After 2 camera replacements I just don’t know what else it could be. Apple said if the camera breaks again they’ll replace the entire phone, so we’ll see what happens with that. Maybe I have a bad phone. 🤷‍♂️ I have read about this being an issue with a variety of phones/motorcycles. I had this phone in my Chieftain’s glove box for 11k miles without a problem. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
323 Posts
Nope, sure doesn’t. Honestly I can probably count on one hand how many times I used that port on my Springfield. I’m guessing that’s why Indian moved away from that on the Challenger.
Oh wow! I use mine every ride, I keep my phone in the saddlebag. Granted I only started storing it there after I lost a phone from a handlebar mount doing 70 down the highway lol. Guess every rider has their own style. Good luck finding your alternative.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
984 Posts
That port is there on the limited/DH, not sure if it comes with the base or not. If it doesn't, it could easily be added.

·
Rider
403 Posts
Oh wow! I use mine every ride, I keep my phone in the saddlebag. Granted I only started storing it there after I lost a phone from a handlebar mount doing 70 down the highway lol. Guess every rider has their own style. Good luck finding your alternative.
I stand corrected, it IS in the right bag. It’s just in the lid now, not on the bottom. I overlooked it because of it’s new location.

·
Rider
403 Posts
Just wanted to hear what y'all had to say about Ride Command before dropping the $500 to upgrade. Has there been any indication that they might add Android Auto? Or do you think the navigation package is worth it by itself?
I imagine Android Auto is in the works. Honestly if you get the system and they add it later it can be added by a software update. If they didn’t have CarPlay now I would say no, the Nav is not good enough. I use the Waze app on all of my vehicles, never the factory Nav. Indian is no exception. RideCommand Nav. Is useable, but not as good as Waze IMO.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I stand corrected, it IS in the right bag. It’s just in the lid now, not on the bottom. I overlooked it because of it’s new location.
Cool! One thing about that power port in the saddlebag that I've never seen mentioned on the forum (maybe its common knowledg and I'm just late) but it seems to always be hot. That is a good option for say charging a Sena while you are at a lunch stop, but maybe not so much if you forget you left something plugged in overnight (?)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts