Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can you tell if you have the latest updates for the Ride Command. The latest for my 2018 RM on the site is indicating a June 2018 update is available. Just wondering if it would be indicated somewhere on the unit when turned on.
Ron

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
The pdf manual tells you to go to:

DOWNLOAD NEW SOFTWARE AND MAPS
For the latest software and maps for RIDE COMMAND™, go to
www.my.indianmotorcycle.com.
Unfortunately, the site is either busy, down for maintenance or has been moved.

Go to ridecommand @ Polaris Ride Command
and log-in. Go to Digital Display Updates & Help. Then navigate to your model.

·
Rider
944 Posts
How can you tell if you have the latest updates for the Ride Command. The latest for my 2018 RM on the site is indicating a June 2018 update is available. Just wondering if it would be indicated somewhere on the unit when turned on.
Ron
power up the bike no need to start it. Tap in the Indian tab at the top center of the screen. Tap on the gear/cog upper right corner, scroll down to update software, write down the number, then download the update and compare the number. If it is different do the update. I also have 2018 RM and I believe the update I see is for December 2019

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I downloaded the latest, Dec 2019, followed the instruction but I get an error code on the screen on the bike indicating invalid file?? When I look at the log data on the memory stick this is what I get, I have no idea what invalid component data means

Loaded install package
Hardware Family is compatible
Part number exists
Serial number exists
Valid package signature
Install package is not password protected
Invalid component data

·
Registered
138 Posts
I downloaded the latest, Dec 2019, followed the instruction but I get an error code on the screen on the bike indicating invalid file?? When I look at the log data on the memory stick this is what I get, I have no idea what invalid component data means

Loaded install package
Hardware Family is compatible
Part number exists
Serial number exists
Valid package signature
Install package is not password protected
Invalid component data
Same here. ??????
'18 Roadmaster

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lara, I just spoke with customer service? I have to send them a screen shot of the error that appears on my bike as well as answering a few questions, type of computer operating system etc. Sounded like this is an ongoing issue where the file downloaded is picking something up.

·
Bronze member
4,327 Posts
The 2018 and earlier ride command units use a old file format called Fat32. Fat32 is one of the most widely used file formats in many infotainment systems, trains planes and automobiles... The problem is the bigger USB drive greater than 64GB use the new EXFAT format by Microsoft which doesn't not work in older units.

The issue is the crappy 8 GB USB drive Indian gives you is a crap shoot. I used to get all these ewrror messages too. Then I bough a ScanDisk 32GB USB drive formatted it to FAT32 and have ever had issues ever again have done 3 map updates and 2 software updates no problems.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The 2018 and earlier ride command units use a old file format called Fat32. Fat32 is one of the most widely used file formats in many infotainment systems, trains planes and automobiles... The problem is the bigger USB drive greater than 64GB use the new EXFAT format by Microsoft which doesn't not work in older units.

The issue is the crappy 8 GB USB drive Indian gives you is a crap shoot. I used to get all these ewrror messages too. Then I bough a ScanDisk 32GB USB drive formatted it to FAT32 and have ever had issues ever again have done 3 map updates and 2 software updates no problems.
That did it - Thanks!

I formatted an old 16GB flash drive to Fat32 and it worked like a charm.

·
Bronze member
3,472 Posts
good for you!... I'm scared to death to do it... these things act weird if you sneeze on them and mine runs like a champ now...

·
Registered
138 Posts
good for you!... I'm scared to death to do it... these things act weird if you sneeze on them and mine runs like a champ now...
Hahahahaha ..... I know what you mean.
After the flash, I went to start up the bike and .... nothing .... WTF!?!?
My heart sank a bit until I figured out it was in gear and I was trying to start it without the clutch lever pulled. ?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Hahahahaha ..... I know what you mean.
After the flash, I went to start up the bike and .... nothing .... WTF!?!?
My heart sank a bit until I figured out it was in gear and I was trying to start it without the clutch lever pulled. ?
I had a similar issues after I installed my mid-rise bars...spent a panicky 20 minutes trying to figure out why the fuel pump was not coming on, and finally figured out that I had broken the tab on the kill switch connector, and the connector had come partially disconnected. Pushed it back together and secured it with some electrical tape and the bike started right up!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, as others have posted, the supplied Indian memory stick is defective. I was able to update my software with my personal memory stick. I was provided with a Q & A from Indian and I mentioned their stick was defective for this application, so they're sending me a new one. Let's see if it works for map and software updates, I know it works for storing and playing music files.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts